Good Enough (aka Bronze Brush) 2012-12-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Bronze Brush 2012-12-05

Post by lake_wrangler »

NOTDilbert wrote:I had a cat that was an idiot savant - He observed 1) Birds splash around in the birdbath; 2) I, being a cat, like to eat birds; Therefore to get birds, I will sit in the birdbath and let them come to me! Bwa Ha Ha.

And we would see the cat spending his afternoons sitting hip-deep in dirty birdy bathwater, eagerly scanning the sky... :lol:
Bird bath, $30

Dirty water, free

Idiot Savant cat who is oblivious to the flaws in his plan, priceless!

For everything else, there's MasterCard...
Yamara

Re: Re:That Time Mom Rinsed Me In The Johnstown Flood 2012-1

Post by Yamara »

NOTDilbert wrote:Okay, agreed, but semantic nitpicking (can't help it, it's genetic, mom taught English and English Lit): in the above quote she actually says "I'm the daughter of Charon", not "Charon is my dad".
Still, that was clarified here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/over-our-heads/

Charon = father, presumably male. The wiggle room is whether Death = Charon. I'm assuming he is until decisively shown otherwise, but that's just me. We don't have a name for Tsillah's (or Nudge's) mom yet, in any case.
NOTDilbert wrote:I'm also shaky on Charon = Death still.

So who is the (female?) Death of Wapsi World?

*sigh* Yeah, somebody scoot over, I'm back on the confusion Couch again....
Tsillah's Cerberi poochies suggest there is a Titaness Ker, and/or the multiple Keres:
theoi.com wrote:Hesiod, Theogony 211 ff (trans. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C8th or C7th B.C.) :
"And Nyx (Night) bare hateful Moros (Doom) and black Ker (Violent Death) and Thanatos (Death), and she bare Hypnos (Sleep) and the tribe of Oneiroi (Dreams) . . . Also she bare the Moirai (Fates) and the ruthless avenging Keres (Death-Fates) . . ." theoi.com
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
zachariah

Re: Good Enough (aka Bronze Brush) 2012-12-05

Post by zachariah »

Yamara wrote:
You are no fun. It might be a strange kinda treat to see the Great Salt Lake turn into the Great Glass Lake :twisted:
Maybe. BUt think of all the time you would have to eflect about it when they send you out to clean it up fo doing it. Besides you'd have to fill out the EPA studies and other papewok first. That would take what? 300 yeas???
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

zachariah wrote:
not Yamara, but Mark N wrote:
You are no fun. It might be a strange kinda treat to see the Great Salt Lake turn into the Great Glass Lake :twisted:
Maybe. BUt think of all the time you would have to eflect about it when they send you out to clean it up fo doing it. Besides you'd have to fill out the EPA studies and other papewok first. That would take what? 300 yeas???
I merely suggested there were other ways. But say the word "nuke" and everybody suddenly gets excited by the possibilities.

T minus 16 days.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Re: Galactic Flatulence 2012-12-05

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler wrote:I fear not heights, nor tight spaces, nor bugs. So what is it I worry about?

Dropping my car keys in a sewer grate.
Actually had that happen to me once. With water at the bottom, at least 5 feet away. Solution? I was putting my wood shop project into my car at the time, sooo... back in side, rip a groove into a long 2x4, tie in one of those flexible grabber things with fingers at the end, and use a rod in the groove to push open the fingers. A few pokes later I had my keys back. And I never parked there again!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:
zachariah wrote:
not Yamara, but Mark N wrote:
I merely suggested there were other ways. But say the word "nuke" and everybody suddenly gets excited by the possibilities.

T minus 16 days.
Besides, Salt Lake City seems to be under the protection of at least two sphinxeses...
Fremason Sphinx.jpg
Fremason Sphinx.jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 9873 times
J Smith Sphinx.PNG
J Smith Sphinx.PNG (103.16 KiB) Viewed 9873 times
Sphinxes? Sphanx? Sphalanx? A sphalanx of sphinx survey the sphere? (sphorry, can't spheem to sphtop)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
illiad

Post by illiad »

Jabberwonky wrote:
yeah, like nuking the moon.. and forgetting there is no atmosphere to create a great light show, and it is so far away, that it would only be a tiny blip visible... nevermind the cost, and long time to guide it all the way... {facepalm} :mrgreen:
Julie

Post by Julie »

lake_wrangler wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:I had a cat that was an idiot savant - He observed 1) Birds splash around in the birdbath; 2) I, being a cat, like to eat birds; Therefore to get birds, I will sit in the birdbath and let them come to me! Bwa Ha Ha.

And we would see the cat spending his afternoons sitting hip-deep in dirty birdy bathwater, eagerly scanning the sky... :lol:
Bird bath, $30

Dirty water, free

Correction: For everything else, there's YouTube. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

lake_wrangler wrote:Take me, for instance: I'm fairly built, tall (only 6', so officially on the low end of tall...), an imposing figure. So I'm not too worried about someone trying to rob me on the street. Only if there was a gun involved, would I not stand a chance, but that would be true no matter what my size... I'm fairly calm, not nervous in the least, and confident about my driving ability, so I won't worry about getting in a car accident, or a bicycle accident either, for that matter (I know how well I can handle a bike). And if such an accident was caused by someone else, there's probably not much I could have done to prevent it, so why worry ahead of time about it? I fear not heights, nor tight spaces, nor bugs. So what is it I worry about?
Must be nice. When you're a little thing like me (I often have to shop in the girls and teens dept. for clothes), you either become a little firebrand who snarls and lashes out to show she is no pushover or, like me, afraid of everything and everyone. Not to the point of being totally withdrawn or anything, but the fear is always with me. Tends to make me overly cautious I suppose.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Julie wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:

Bird bath, $30

Dirty water, free

Correction: For everything else, there's YouTube. :P
You're Right!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Take me, for instance: I'm fairly built, tall (only 6', so officially on the low end of tall...), an imposing figure. So I'm not too worried about someone trying to rob me on the street. Only if there was a gun involved, would I not stand a chance, but that would be true no matter what my size... I'm fairly calm, not nervous in the least, and confident about my driving ability, so I won't worry about getting in a car accident, or a bicycle accident either, for that matter (I know how well I can handle a bike). And if such an accident was caused by someone else, there's probably not much I could have done to prevent it, so why worry ahead of time about it? I fear not heights, nor tight spaces, nor bugs. So what is it I worry about?
Must be nice. When you're a little thing like me (I often have to shop in the girls and teens dept. for clothes), you either become a little firebrand who snarls and lashes out to show she is no pushover or, like me, afraid of everything and everyone. Not to the point of being totally withdrawn or anything, but the fear is always with me. Tends to make me overly cautious I suppose.
In a way, being big and able to do much can be a double-edge sword, especially when combined with a naturally good disposition... the underlying thought is always a worry, to some degree, about what would happen if I ever really lost my cool... I know I have a lot of patience, and I know it does have limits, and I have gotten angry in the past, but there were limits to how angry I got. But what if I really, and I mean really, got angry? What would I be capable of doing? I dare not even think about it...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
In a way, being big and able to do much can be a double-edge sword, especially when combined with a naturally good disposition... the underlying thought is always a worry, to some degree, about what would happen if I ever really lost my cool... I know I have a lot of patience, and I know it does have limits, and I have gotten angry in the past, but there were limits to how angry I got. But what if I really, and I mean really, got angry? What would I be capable of doing? I dare not even think about it...
I'm 6'2" and have had that be a double edged sword like Lake. My father and brother have terrible tempers and I decided early in life that I wasn't going to let myself be like that. So, I'm really laid back and quiet, but people think becaue you're big, you're a bad ass. This has helped a few times, there are some fights I've avoided by standing up from my seat. But it makes me a target for anyone that feels they need to prove their badness for the night. Always little guys with the Napoleon syndrome.
When I was on a little, and I mean little, FOB in Afghanistan there was a Kryrgistan woman that worked in the PX that got this look of panic on her face everytime she saw me in there. I still don't know what it was that freaked her out about me, but it made me feel bad about how she reacted to me. I was able to get her to not panic when she saw me, but she always seemed like she was waiting for me to attack her.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

lake_wrangler wrote:I *cough* predict *cough* that we will soon see Monica hugging Nudge, while apologizing profusely...

(But don't hold your breath... I'm pretty much batting 0 for whatever number of predictions made so far... :P )
You were right in a negative sort of way--Nudge is hugging Monica, without any words, after Monica declares her unworthiness to be touched.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Take me, for instance: I'm fairly built, tall (only 6', so officially on the low end of tall. . . .
On the other hand, you probably rarely have to worry about bonking your head on low doors, or open cabinets, or finding a bed big enough to sleep in comfortably. So your confidence comes out in different situations.
Camris

Post by Camris »

Still... Monica has been batted around by supposed friends for what seems like a long time now.
I myself would require one VERY good explaination or there would be a lot of unfriending to be done.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Camris wrote:Still... Monica has been batted around by supposed friends for what seems like a long time now.
I myself would require one VERY good explaination or there would be a lot of unfriending to be done.
Her response today would be a good explanation: She is dangerous, and needs to know that--lest she put some less . . . resilient friends in danger. Once she learns proper control, she will be a much better (safer) friend to be around.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

bmonk wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Take me, for instance: I'm fairly built, tall (only 6', so officially on the low end of tall. . . .
Must be nice. When you're a little thing like me (I often have to shop in the girls and teens dept. for clothes)...
On the other hand, you probably rarely have to worry about bonking your head on low doors, or open cabinets, or finding a bed big enough to sleep in comfortably. So your confidence comes out in different situations.
I have a friend who is 5'6", and his wife is 5' even... when I go visit them, I always have to be careful in their basement: the one ceiling fan hangs low enough that I can get hit on the head with it, and the one support beam comes down to about eye level, on me.

Yes, I have hit my head on it numerous times... :roll:

Yet for some reason, they never seem to have any problem with it... :P