Good Enough (aka Bronze Brush) 2012-12-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: Good Enough (aka Bronze Brush) 2012-12-05

Post by illiad »

Jackalkat wrote:"Sis?" Love it.

Gotta wonder...her mom sounds like Pele.
well I go with 'Kingmaker'... 'sis' as in 'sisterhood' - ie, not related by birth, but by sexuality, culture and friendship... :)
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Yay! Nudge is Okay!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And YOU GUYS! Shake Hands and lets be done with it...... Good, Problem solved. Friends again. :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote:
Jackalkat wrote:"Sis?" Love it.

Gotta wonder...her mom sounds like Pele.
well I go with 'Kingmaker'... 'sis' as in 'sisterhood' - ie, not related by birth, but by sexuality, culture and friendship... :)
I dunno... their facial markings do suggest some sort of physical kinship.

Unless... sorority sisters, with a tradition of facial tattoos?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

chibichibi01 wrote:This is not what I was expecting at all. :/ I feel any chance for M to come to grips with this power of hers has been wasted. I feel a little disappoint.
I disagree. While she may be grateful that she did not, in the end, kill Nudge, she very much thought she had, and she knew full well that there had been no call for her to act that way. She's just lucky that the repercussions were not as dire as she first thought. But she has come to realize how dangerous she is.
Julie

Re: Metal Nudge Spanker 2012-12-05

Post by Julie »

Yamara wrote:
ShadOBabe wrote:I want to know who Nudge's parents are now!!
Is she also Charon's daughter? Do they share the same set of parents? Or are they half-sisters? In which case, do they share the same dad, Charon, or the same mother?
And also, if they're half-sisters, who are the other parents?
I type too slow.

I would gather Tsillah and Nudge share that mom Nudge is talking about. I've suspected Nudge and Shelly were half-sisters, so that would be one answer...

I doubt that Nudge and Tsillah share a dad in Charon. But with Titans, you never know.
Wait...are you still thinking that Nudge and Shelly are half-sisters sharing a mom? Because that would mean that Bia is Tsillah's mom...which would mean that she got down and dirty with Charon...who knew her as a child and was a kind of guardian for her...*shudders* I seriously hope that's not the case!!!
lake_wrangler wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:This is not what I was expecting at all. :/ I feel any chance for M to come to grips with this power of hers has been wasted. I feel a little disappoint.
I disagree. While she may be grateful that she did not, in the end, kill Nudge, she very much thought she had, and she knew full well that there had been no call for her to act that way. She's just lucky that the repercussions were not as dire as she first thought. But she has come to realize how dangerous she is.
I agree with lake_wrangler on this one. There's no way M could walk away from this situation without realizing that she's truly dangerous, but just got lucky this time. The question becomes...who helps her to learn control?
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I *cough* predict *cough* that we will soon see Monica hugging Nudge, while apologizing profusely...

(But don't hold your breath... I'm pretty much batting 0 for whatever number of predictions made so far... :P )
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Hooray! Nudge is alive! And, she probably smells like a warm wool blanket now.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wdot wrote:Sometimes the name of the comic changes. The first time I noticed this was a couple of episodes ago. The threads were then integrated, because I replied to the other. However, I noticed the "mouse-over" alt-txt hadn't been changed yet. It was originally entitled differently. So it isn't the moderators fault if the name changed after the thread started. I am sorry if this ticks people off, but it is no biggy, really.
The mouse-over may change. I've never noticed that the title posted on the page, under the comic, does. That's what i take to be the official title of the comic.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
alj_ws

Re: Re:That Time Mom Rinsed Me In The Johnstown Flood 2012-1

Post by alj_ws »

Yamara wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote: Yes, and Tsillah has referred to her father as 'Death'. Charon is the Boatman of the Styx, transporting peole to the land of the dead; Death itself would seem to be distinctly different. Your milage may vary.

Charon describes his job: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/time-to-go/

Tsillah tells M that Charon is her dad: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/assigned-to-you/

Tsillah tells the vampcops, "I am Death's daughter. My daddy is Charon.": http://wapsisquare.com/comic/over-our-heads/

So in Wapsiverse Charon = Death.

Probably.

There is semantic wiggle room for Charon being her father and "Death" being her mother. Don't think Paul was intending confusion there, but. Feel invited to doodle on the Couch with the rest of us.
Death could be Tsillah Mother, in which case probably either Hecate or the keres but also other daughters of Nyx. The being daughters of Nyx being a good reason for Tsillah shapelless form. More the Keres are traditionnally associated with Cerberus.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

TheDOCTOR wrote:And YOU GUYS! Shake Hands and lets be done with it...... Good, Problem solved. Friends again. :D
Seconded.

What I have learned from this experience is:

1) Moderators are human, and can sometimes innocently overlook someone repeatedly shouting and waving their arms.

2) Robert's Rules of Order do not include setting up a guillotine in the chamber for a call of clarification.

3) Do not nuke Utah from space. It's not the only way to be sure.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Yamara wrote: 3) Do not nuke Utah from space. It's not the only way to be sure.
You are no fun. It might be a strange kinda treat to see the Great Salt Lake turn into the Great Glass Lake :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

ShadOBabe wrote:I want to know who Nudge's parents are now!!
Is she also Charon's daughter? Do they share the same set of parents? Or are they half-sisters? In which case, do they share the same dad, Charon, or the same mother?
And also, if they're half-sisters, who are the other parents?
Yamara wrote:I would gather Tsillah and Nudge share that mom Nudge is talking about. I've suspected Nudge and Shelly were half-sisters, so that would be one answer...

I doubt that Nudge and Tsillah share a dad in Charon. But with Titans, you never know.
Julie wrote:Wait...are you still thinking that Nudge and Shelly are half-sisters sharing a mom? Because that would mean that Bia is Tsillah's mom...which would mean that she got down and dirty with Charon...who knew her as a child and was a kind of guardian for her...*shudders* I seriously hope that's not the case!!!
Well, she was in the form of a child. Unless Nudge was exaggerating the m.o., Bia has proven she's entirely capable of taking the form of a child in order to, ultimately, breed with someone. And that's hardly the worst the Titans were said to have done.

Tsillah is also not a child, who uses the form of a child to disarm the unwary. But for her it's puppetry. Bia's performed some serious business in that form. Hesiod referred to Bia and her brother Kratos as "wonderful children". Bia's referred to herself as "dysfunctional" while pushing the credo "let omnipotence be your consequence" on a daughter she was largely lying to.

She's a Titan. Human morals don't scale.

And this may be a problem for Monica, part of whom is presumably still very young.

EDIT: And both Shelly and Nudge's mothers were best remembered for obsessively brushing them. Coincidence??

EDIT 2: Though alj_ws makes a good point about the Keres. With Tsillah, Baxter and Boo, they are plainly in the myx.

PunPal has charged me for a Titan-size box of Quaker Olive Squares.
Last edited by Yamara on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Okay, so ... "breathing easier" refers to Nudges body odor. An odor so pungent that it takes a dip in molten lava to cleanse her properly. Apparently she is wrong about a pumice bath being enough. And the "thanks" is to Monica and crew for doing it. It also appears one bath lasts about a month. Is this what we are supposed to take away from all this?

I kind of doubt being dipped into a volcano is really Nudge's worst fear. Maybe her worst dislike. It just seems like a worst fear would be much more frightening than this. It seems to me this is a superficial dread more than a worst fear. It could be Monica is only able to get just so far when reading others. She is not yet able to get deep into someone to dredge up the really fundamental stuff.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Yamara wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:And YOU GUYS! Shake Hands and lets be done with it...... Good, Problem solved. Friends again. :D
only solution: a 'supermod' (pref pablo, who *knows* the title beforehand!!!) to set the first post in a new thread, with a link to comic.. then all you others can get on with it.... :roll:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:I kind of doubt being dipped into a volcano is really Nudge's worst fear.
I think it may well be, she is just 'covering up'.... :P

eg, "hm, that was niiiiiicee... :x :roll: "
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Okay, so ... "breathing easier" refers to Nudges body odor. An odor so pungent that it takes a dip in molten lava to cleanse her properly. Apparently she is wrong about a pumice bath being enough. And the "thanks" is to Monica and crew for doing it. It also appears one bath lasts about a month. Is this what we are supposed to take away from all this?

I kind of doubt being dipped into a volcano is really Nudge's worst fear. Maybe her worst dislike. It just seems like a worst fear would be much more frightening than this. It seems to me this is a superficial dread more than a worst fear. It could be Monica is only able to get just so far when reading others. She is not yet able to get deep into someone to dredge up the really fundamental stuff.
It is also possible that Nudge can block Monica's new-found reading talent or at least redirect it. A trickster would have to know a few tricks to stop telepathy (and other such tricks) from knowing what they are up to.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

They could be related, and "Sis" may be a term of affection. Kiowa way, all your cousins are treated the same as your brothers and sisters, and you can call them as such. Whichever way, the upshot is that Tsillah has a Trickster Sister!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:They could be related, and "Sis" may be a term of affection. Kiowa way, all your cousins are treated the same as your brothers and sisters, and you can call them as such. Whichever way, the upshot is that Tsillah has a Trickster Sister!
With her "shadows", Tsillah isn't far from being a trickster herself.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: It also appears one bath lasts about a month. Is this what we are supposed to take away from all this?
Either that, or she did it once a month, before the smell was bad enough to bother people... so if she happened to not have time and waited a few days or even a few weeks, it might not have been too bad. She just played it safe.

Of course, it could also be that when Nudge was younger, she played in mud and/or water and/or other stuff that would make her fur smell, so she had to get that bath regularly, whether such a bath would otherwise have lasted longer or not.
Bathorys Daughter wrote:I kind of doubt being dipped into a volcano is really Nudge's worst fear. Maybe her worst dislike. It just seems like a worst fear would be much more frightening than this. It seems to me this is a superficial dread more than a worst fear.
I wouldn't discount that as her worst fear. If she knows she's nigh invulnerable, and can usually manage to stay one step ahead of the people that she tricks, so that she doesn't worry too much about retaliation, it may well be that her fears would be of a more mundane nature. Having had poor experiences with lava baths growing up, it may have left her somewhat stigmatized about the whole thing, so it may very well be that the lava bath is her worst fear.

Take me, for instance: I'm fairly built, tall (only 6', so officially on the low end of tall...), an imposing figure. So I'm not too worried about someone trying to rob me on the street. Only if there was a gun involved, would I not stand a chance, but that would be true no matter what my size... I'm fairly calm, not nervous in the least, and confident about my driving ability, so I won't worry about getting in a car accident, or a bicycle accident either, for that matter (I know how well I can handle a bike). And if such an accident was caused by someone else, there's probably not much I could have done to prevent it, so why worry ahead of time about it? I fear not heights, nor tight spaces, nor bugs. So what is it I worry about?

Dropping my car keys in a sewer grate.

Pretty mundane, but since I'm mostly not worried about more dangerous stuff, it had to fall somewhere... Same with Nudge.

One thing that does favor that hypothesis is the fact that Phix, who did not know ahead of time what took place, knew that since Monica made Nudge face her worst fear, they would be able to breathe freely for a while (from a lack of pungent odor emanating from Nudge).

Bathorys Daughter wrote:It could be Monica is only able to get just so far when reading others. She is not yet able to get deep into someone to dredge up the really fundamental stuff.
Of course, that could be true regardless of whether Nudge's worst fear is a lava bath or not.
NOTDilbert

Re: Re:That Time Mom Rinsed Me In The Johnstown Flood 2012-1

Post by NOTDilbert »

Yamara wrote:
Tsillah tells M that Charon is her dad: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/assigned-to-you/

There is semantic wiggle room for Charon being her father and "Death" being her mother. Don't think Paul was intending confusion there, but. Feel invited to doodle on the Couch with the rest of us.
Okay, agreed, but semantic nitpicking (can't help it, it's genetic, mom taught English and English Lit): in the above quote she actually says "I'm the daughter of Charon", not "Charon is my dad".

I'm also shaky on Charon = Death still.

So who is the (female?) Death of Wapsi World?

*sigh* Yeah, somebody scoot over, I'm back on the confusion Couch again....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
NOTDilbert

Re: Bronze Brush 2012-12-05

Post by NOTDilbert »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:Cats hate water, but I don't think goats do. So it has to be Mom's influance, aftger all Nudge can be a real stinker.
Depends on the cat. My previous cat use to spend hours trying to catch the ripples in the drainage ditch at the side of the driveway.
I had a cat that was an idiot savant - He observed 1) Birds splash around in the birdbath; 2) I, being a cat, like to eat birds; Therefore to get birds, I will sit in the birdbath and let them come to me! Bwa Ha Ha.

And we would see the cat spending his afternoons sitting hip-deep in dirty birdy bathwater, eagerly scanning the sky... :lol:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville