Scary Monsters 2020-01-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Scary Monsters 2020-01-10

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yep. I understand where she's coming from.

I have a needle phobia - it's not the pain, it's just knowing it's stuck in my arm. I know it's nothing to worry about.

I still panic.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Re: Scary Monsters 2020-01-10

Post by Alkarii »

I haven't really paid much attention, but is Castela's the new Bud, in that she's a leggy girl?

(Also, I wanna see more of Bud. We haven't gotten to see all that much of her in a while...)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

A phobia is defined as an illogical/irrational fear.

And she's sure determined to work herself into a tizzy . . . I wonder if her subconscious/hormones is driving this so she'll call Shawna for a boob delivery?

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Maybe she needs to read the book The monster at the end of this book...

For those not familiar with the book, it is a Sesame Street book, starring Grover... I used to read it to my kids, when they were younger. It's cute.

Here is a nice adaptation of it, on YouTube, complete with full images from the book, along with narration, as well as sound effects.
(From what I can tell, this video was made using the sound track from one app, and the video images from another, which actually works out better than the original versions they each came from. I like it better this way.)

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Castela is physically tough and durable, but she can't really be said to be invulnerable until she's been hit with every possible thing and not been hurt. It's entirely possible that some weird unknown power of any hypothetical ghosties or ghoulies could damage her. Or they might have some weird mental or emotional attack, in which case being physically tough wouldn't be much help.

Plus there's the emotional damage that she'd probably feel as a result of one of her startle reactions accidentally hurting somebody. She already squished "Reginald" and choked Daylla due to being spooked; the worry of reflexively firing a blast of plasma through the walls into her mother's room in the middle of the night might be lurking in the back of her mind. Which would mean that she's scared of getting scared, which just makes her even more scared.

And maybe spending so much time with Atsali growing up gave her sensitive toes just like her sister!
Alkarii wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:20 am I haven't really paid much attention, but is Castela's the new Bud, in that she's a leggy girl?
Maybe the constant fretting over her "fat baby ankles" gradually managed to subconsciously convince her default humanish body form to take on more leggy legs.
(Also, I wanna see more of Bud. We haven't gotten to see all that much of her in a while...)
Or you can see Castela bud!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 pm Or you can see Castela bud!
No, she'll save that for Shawna. "Hey, kid, this bud's for you!"
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:50 am Yep. I understand where she's coming from.

I have a needle phobia - it's not the pain, it's just knowing it's stuck in my arm. I know it's nothing to worry about.

I still panic.
You aint the only one. In my younger days i have been known to hide under beds and in closets trying to avoid nurses. I often wonder as well if my phobia of snakes is linked to the same root.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I used to have a fear of crazy old men with access to nuclear weapons blowing the world up, back in the days of MAD, but I don't have... Aw SCHITT! :evil:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

oldmanmickey wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:25 pmYou aint the only one. In my younger days i have been known to hide under beds and in closets trying to avoid nurses. I often wonder as well if my phobia of snakes is linked to the same root.
The fear of nurses is closely linked to the fear of revenants (vampires, specifically).

They come in the wee hours of the night, awakening you (or not) to take some of your blood.

Then, they come back during the daytime... and inject blood into you, in return.

And then they bill you for both services. Expensively.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:14 pm
oldmanmickey wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:25 pmYou aint the only one. In my younger days i have been known to hide under beds and in closets trying to avoid nurses. I often wonder as well if my phobia of snakes is linked to the same root.
The fear of nurses is closely linked to the fear of revenants (vampires, specifically).

They come in the wee hours of the night, awakening you (or not) to take some of your blood.

Then, they come back during the daytime... and inject blood into you, in return.

And then they bill you for both services. Expensively.
Sounds like politicians.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

While I may find some bugs creepy, I am not afraid of any, that I know of. Nothing that would make me panic, should I find one on me, at any rate.

The only fear that I am aware of, is the fear of losing my keys down a sewer grate. I keep an eye on where I park, and should there be a sewer grate nearby, how I do clutch those keys...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus the Poet wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 pm I used to have a fear of crazy old men with access to nuclear weapons blowing the world up, back in the days of MAD, but I don't have... Aw SCHITT! :evil:
You called?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."