Self Healing 2012-08-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Ratcatcher

Re: Self Healing 2012-08-06

Post by Ratcatcher »

Just got back to Wapsi after way too much overtime, kneels down and pays two old wooden nickles to the punjar as an atonement for such horrible neglect.
Now anyone want to guess how long it will take Bia to land? "To the moon Alice" comes to mind. :D
Vex Godglove

Post by Vex Godglove »

Ah, Bia. A model parent. Nothing makes your kid as strong as faking your own death and abandoning her in early childhood. If anyone deserved a punch in the face, it was her.
mrsmack

Post by mrsmack »

My dictionary says cowpuncher (one word) means "a cowboy." Can anyone explain this term in this context to me? I've never heard it before.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:At least we now know who Bia's parents were, Pallus and Styx. That ends one line of speculation. I also find it intersting that Bia was Zues's favorite cow-punchers, a very nice term for trouble shooter as Bia probably really did punch those cows. lol. That her nature is pure force fits with her manipulation techniques as well. Force applied without consideration to anything but the desired objective. Sorta makes you wonder what Bia did to convice Phix to let sonny boy go to earth in the first place. Now what is Monica going to do once she gets the story streight and who is going to do the streightening? I knda doubt Phix is.
I believe that Bia sometimes/often worked as a team with her brother, Kratos (Strength").
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Casey wrote: Also, if Paul reads this, minor nitpicky thing, but it should be "very" in panel two, not "vary"
Naht a nitpick, y'all. It's just how the lady tahks!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

mrsmack wrote:My dictionary says cowpuncher (one word) means "a cowboy." Can anyone explain this term in this context to me? I've never heard it before.
Independent troubleshooter or problem solver.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Bookworm wrote:
mrsmack wrote:My dictionary says cowpuncher (one word) means "a cowboy." Can anyone explain this term in this context to me? I've never heard it before.
Independent troubleshooter or problem solver.
Yes, but keep in mind the European concept of "Cowboy" is very different than the American one.

The American Cowboy view is an ideal - independent, self-sufficient, and reliable. Well, usually reliable, though occasionally prone to wild adventure of some kind (re: bar fight).

The European Cowboy view is renegade, self-centered, and careless. Your basic untrustworthy hell-raiser - all bar fight and no cattle drive.

I've learned this from my time in Britain from several conversations and various mentions on TV. In one spy drama, for example, the agency had a member go "cowboy" on them -- still on their side, but out to do damage. It seems the "Clockwork Universe" ideal is still very common in society, expecting a place for everyone, and everyone in their place. So if you don't fit, or try to change places (better yourself), you are a threat to the whole structure. Individual independence is seen as a threat by people who think like this, because then "you're out of control" by society (the state in particular).

Americans see the Cowboy who can be trusted to move 500 cattle hundreds of miles, left to their own devices, and get them to their destination safely. So what if they blow off a little steam afterwards.

Europeans see the bar fight, and dismiss them as just another bunch of low-life jerks who need to be put in their place.

Sharing a common language doesn't mean sharing a common meaning. It was an eye-opener for me! This is well shown by a cowboy joke:

An English Gentleman is riding through the West, on his fine horse, wearing polished boots, riding pants, coat, gloves, and bowler hat. He's passing a large cattle ranch, and is curious about the owner. Along the road, the comes across a cowboy working to mend the barbed wire fence. He's wearing jeans, well worn chaps, sun faded shirt and vest, thick leather gloves, and a slouching hat. His equally scruffy horse is grazing nearby.

"You there!" says the Gentleman, "Who's your master?"

The cowboy doesn't even look up as he continues braiding the barbed wire repair.
"That sumbitch hasn't been born yet."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

Atomic wrote:Yes, but keep in mind the European concept of "Cowboy" is very different than the American one. (followed by loads of information that was cut to keep this quote short)
Well that's neat to learn. I can't say I've ever thought of a cowboy as a renegade or bad guy (growing up in Texas did put a bit of spin on my education...even if I am a city girl :)).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

davids4250 wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Please excuse the off-topic post but - CURIOSITY HAS LANDED, AND IS ALIVE AND SENDING PICTURES !!
YES!!!!
Team NASA wins gold in the interplanetary event!
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I would guess, that the terminology refers to Bia as one of Zeus's trouble shooters. Now going with the cowboy term Bia was one of Zeus's ramrods of his outfit. A ramrod was a 'head' cowpuncher with authority to solve problems without direct interference of the boss. Oh, I answered this without reading Atomic's post. I loved the joke, too! Yep the 'sumbitch' hasn't been born yet.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Ok.... so, Shelly's heritage is of the highest pedigree of immortal bloodline..... kinda makes you wonder about M, if Shelly is so high up in the Gods and Titans line, what surprises does Paul have in store for his main lady. Things keep getting better and better, I love this. ;)
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Opus the Poet wrote:I can sympathise with M on this one. She came in on the tail end of something we have been going over for 2 weeks, and we are still digesting the information and aren't as emotionally invested/connected with the principals as she is (at least I don't think anyone here has much connection with Shelly, Phix, et al as Monica except maybe Pablo).
I'm related to the real Wahnee family, and you bet your bippy I'm invested in my imaginary cousin.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Another meaning (col.) is troubleshooter or bounty hunter. see "Cowboy Bebop".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Julie wrote:
Atomic wrote:Yes, but keep in mind the European concept of "Cowboy" is very different than the American one. (followed by loads of information that was cut to keep this quote short)
Well that's neat to learn. I can't say I've ever thought of a cowboy as a renegade or bad guy (growing up in Texas did put a bit of spin on my education...even if I am a city girl :)).
Jest depends on ware you frum. Why, ye call an' American a Yankee, that's common practice out in England. You call a feller Yaknee south of th' Mason-Dixon line... yer liable t' get th' loan of his very best Colt .45, jest so he won't be said to have shot an unarmed man.

In Texas, a Cowboy is a respected feller. Oh, sure, he gets t' blowin' off some steam when he's in town. As a point of note, however, is that he actually pays for the damages incurred whilst blowin' steam. But he's also th' feller who keeps some thousand plus head o' cattle headin' on to th' Stockyards, guardin' literally millions of dollars in real stock, not this fancy paper stuff Wall Street tries to push off on ya.

Now that I think on it, that could be th' meanin' here... bein' th' one who keeps the mindless masses all headed in th' same direction, more or less. 'cause sometimes, ya just gotta smack 'em t' get 'em goin' in th' right direction.

Now, a boy goes rogue like that, 'round here, it's called goin' Mustang. On account of an actual Mustang (th' horse, not th' car, ya city-folk) bein' one of th' most ornery, stubborn, an' headstrong critters in all th' praerie. In other words, takin' the bit in his teeth, an' doin' what he's bound t' do, no matter what anyone says.

Mind you, there's a bit of respect even in goin' Mustang, 'round these parts. Gotta respect a fellah who sticks t' his guns. Even if ya have t' bring him in, cause he's causin' so much hassle.

Now, when someone refers to 'Cowboy' as bein' th' one to bring in the troublemakers (see also: Cowboy Beebop), that's probably some city-folk mistakin' a Texas Ranger (no, NOT Chuck Norris, fer crissakes) fer a regular ol' cowboy. They both got similar gear, an' all. But lemme tell ya... them Rangers mean business. I guess you city folk 'uld compare 'em t' th' Canadian Mounties, eh?

Now ye know.

*tips his hat*
Otpu

Post by Otpu »

Why, ye call an' American a Yankee, that's common practice out in England. You call a feller Yaknee south of th' Mason-Dixon line... yer liable t' get th' loan of his very second best Colt .45, jest so he won't be said to have shot an unarmed man.

Fixed it for you.

Otpu
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Forgetting the fact someones been punched thru a brick wall "EllyMae"- I mean Euryale - she just sounds like EllyMae Clampett in my Minds' ear, is more Impressed with how the Library "healed itself" so fast. Too bad one can't cross to parallel earths cause I bet Agatha H.(Girl Genius) would love to look at that library also. ;)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Otpu wrote:Why, ye call an' American a Yankee, that's common practice out in England. You call a feller Yaknee south of th' Mason-Dixon line... yer liable t' get th' loan of his very second best Colt .45, jest so he won't be said to have shot an unarmed man.

Fixed it for you.

Otpu
Oh goodness no. Bein' a southern gentleman, you loan your very best gun, and you USE your second best gun to shoot him. That's called givin' him a sportin' chance.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:I'm related to the real Wahnee family, and you bet your bippy I'm invested in my imaginary cousin.
Kinglash - can you describe the traditional naming-inheritance conventions among the Comanche for me? Do children usually inherit their father's family name, or their mother's? Do women adopt their husband's family name?

I can't recall for sure if we've ever been entirely certain which side of Shelly's family (or both?) her Comanche heritage is derived from. I skimmed some of the books this weekend, and still couldn't tell. Her father (when portrayed) was referred to as "Mr. Wahnee" at least once, but I couldn't tell from his face whether he was clearly of Native American heritage or not.

Can anybody reading this point me to a sequence in the archives which clarifies this? It'd be interesting to know whether Bia was masquerading as a Comanche girl, or simply as an Anglo or other European girl living in a part-Comanche community.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Cripes amighty- give that girl a set of brass and she'll deck a main battle tank! I've made some travel a bit, come up off their heels, do a full flip and all that... but I've NEVER struck anyone hard enough to put them through STONE MASONRY! Come to think of it, I've never perforated anything tougher than a winshield with just my fist... gotta admire that, there's a way to get your point across when you can hit them that hard.
You go, girl...
the Old Sgt. :shock:
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

2:23 am EDT and suffering Update Withdrawls.....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff