Like Dreaming 2012-11-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Like Dreaming 2012-11-29

Post by Dave »

davids4250 wrote:I agree that this is a scheme to get Monica to realize how powerful she is. Euryale showing up at just the right time, with such a set speech aimed right at Monica, is a little too coincidental, just plausible enough to make Mon think. Monica was set up. (In a good, necessary way.) And it looks like the lesson struck home.
Now to get Nudge out of the lake of fire. I suspect Bud is in on this, too.

Edit: If Euryale was really as angry as she seems, the snakes would be out, but they are not.
Euryale may have been in on it... or, she could be telling the exact truth, and Nudge could simply have asked her to stop by for a talk. Nudge might have been expecting, and depending on Euryale's shocked reaction.

That would definitely be a "chessmaster" tactic... possibly Nudge acting alone, or possibly Brandi is showing her hand. Remember, when Nudge said she'd go back to the Library and tell Phix that Monica had died, she said she was going to ask Brandi to poit her there... I wonder what they discussed during that little trip?

In any case, it's pretty clear from Euryale's comment about "killing demigods" that Nudge knew just what sort of reaction she could provoke from Monica... and she went ahead and did it anyhow.

As to Euryale's snakes not being out... well, after having accidentally iced Monica twice recently during emotional discussions, nearly killing Monica (apparently) and being yelled at by a scary angry golem for lack of control... maybe Euryale is learning her own sort of emotional control?
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Thoughts on mortality...
Mortality.jpg
Mortality.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 10195 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
davids4250 wrote:I agree that this is a scheme to get Monica to realize how powerful she is. Euryale showing up at just the right time, with such a set speech aimed right at Monica, is a little too coincidental, just plausible enough to make Mon think. Monica was set up. (In a good, necessary way.) And it looks like the lesson struck home.
Now to get Nudge out of the lake of fire. I suspect Bud is in on this, too.

Edit: If Euryale was really as angry as she seems, the snakes would be out, but they are not.
Euryale may have been in on it... or, she could be telling the exact truth, and Nudge could simply have asked her to stop by for a talk. Nudge might have been expecting, and depending on Euryale's shocked reaction.

That would definitely be a "chessmaster" tactic... possibly Nudge acting alone, or possibly Brandi is showing her hand. Remember, when Nudge said she'd go back to the Library and tell Phix that Monica had died, she said she was going to ask Brandi to poit her there... I wonder what they discussed during that little trip?

In any case, it's pretty clear from Euryale's comment about "killing demigods" that Nudge knew just what sort of reaction she could provoke from Monica... and she went ahead and did it anyhow.

As to Euryale's snakes not being out... well, after having accidentally iced Monica twice recently during emotional discussions, nearly killing Monica (apparently) and being yelled at by a scary angry golem for lack of control... maybe Euryale is learning her own sort of emotional control?
Yes--I think they are all learning from experience. Euryale, that warm Southern' gal, is learning not to give Monica cold feet, Monica is having to face up to her power and what she might have done by mortal reflex to a friend, and Nudge? I'd still like to think that a centuries-old demi-god chess-master trickster like her would not go into a deadly situation knowing what sort of reaction she was trying to provoke without being prepared to handle it. Heck, she does know plenty of other people with power to protect her from a little problem like 2000° magma.

I'd also note that, along with Monica's sudden enlightenment and the end of her rage, the swelling that showed the lace of her bra has vanished today.

Hmmm. What do I owe here? I'd better toss the pun jar a snowball-from-Hell (reflecting my chances of being correct) for icy feet, a rubber hammer for reflexes, and some Icy-Hot ointment to reduce swellings.
bookfanatic

Post by bookfanatic »

Boxilar wrote:
txmystic wrote:I think Nudge is OK. My feeling is that this is an elaborate scheme to force Monica to get over herself and realize that she is no better than Phix at controlling her superpowers. She just needed to be shown that in just such a way as to make her think she had inadvertently destroyed a demigod.

Of course, I could also be oh so wrong. Are there any cookies left in the confusion corner, Julie?
As I said in yesterday's thread, I'm worried. We have conformation that, 1: Demigods can die and 2: Monica can kill them. This could be an elaborate plan to teach Monica a lesson. I still think Nudge went in half cocked and wasn't quite ready for what the New and Improved Monica is capable of. And with all the tragic backstories, we have yet to see a present day on screen death of one of the cast. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Nudge to die. I like her. But with Monica denying her true power up to this point, I think someone getting hurt was inevitable. After all, Shelly was deathly afraid of letting her feral nature loose and hurting someone and if Justin weren't a Titan, she still would have killed him. Monica wasn't even acknowleding it as a possibility. Some lessons are painful. Killing your friend by accident is the worst.

As Dave said, even if Nudge survives, this is not going to be fun.
I'm confused when was it said that Justin was a Titan??
I must have missed that part
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

bookfanatic wrote:
Boxilar wrote:
txmystic wrote:I think Nudge is OK. My feeling is that this is an elaborate scheme to force Monica to get over herself and realize that she is no better than Phix at controlling her superpowers. She just needed to be shown that in just such a way as to make her think she had inadvertently destroyed a demigod.

Of course, I could also be oh so wrong. Are there any cookies left in the confusion corner, Julie?
As I said in yesterday's thread, I'm worried. We have conformation that, 1: Demigods can die and 2: Monica can kill them. This could be an elaborate plan to teach Monica a lesson. I still think Nudge went in half cocked and wasn't quite ready for what the New and Improved Monica is capable of. And with all the tragic backstories, we have yet to see a present day on screen death of one of the cast. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Nudge to die. I like her. But with Monica denying her true power up to this point, I think someone getting hurt was inevitable. After all, Shelly was deathly afraid of letting her feral nature loose and hurting someone and if Justin weren't a Titan, she still would have killed him. Monica wasn't even acknowleding it as a possibility. Some lessons are painful. Killing your friend by accident is the worst.

As Dave said, even if Nudge survives, this is not going to be fun.
bookfanatic
This is where it is mentioned and or implied.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

bookfanatic wrote:
Justin is Prometheus' brother and apparently has the same regenerative abilities. Phix revealed this to Shelly during Sphinx training. He was an Italian cop when he got shot in the head. He regenerated but lost his memories.

TlalocW
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Okay, I've been reading this thread and something occurred to me: Nudge wasn't quite acting like herself just before M threw her where ever she threw her. A master manipulator like Nudge may have taken the extremity of Monica's possible response into account. Nudge found a spell to give her a human visage, but there's nothing to say she couldn't have cast it on someone else. Like, for example, a willing accomplice who could not only withstand a lava bath but could poit in her own right. That could have been Bud glamoured-up as Nudge, and knew just what buttons to push. Nudge could step out of the shadows (cue Tsillah) once the full weight of what she might have done hits her.

M: Oh, god! What have I done!?
Bud (looking scortched): Less than you think...
Nudge: SURPRISE!!
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Boxilar wrote:After all, Shelly was deathly afraid of letting her feral nature loose and hurting someone and if Justin weren't a Titan, she still would have killed him.
Minor nit-pick: It was mentioned that the reason Shelly turned the claws on with Justin when he startled her was her instinctively sensing he wasn't human. Had it been a normal human who came upon Shelly unexpectedly, while she would likely have jumped away with inhuman speed, she would have maintained human form.
Last edited by CraigR on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

CraigR wrote: M: Oh, god! What have I done!?
Phix, Golem Girls, Tepoz, Vampire chicks, and any other supernatural beings I've left out suddenly appear.
All: Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Monica, happy birthday to you!
Monica: Worst... Surprise... Party... Ever.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

CraigR wrote:Okay, I've been reading this thread and something occurred to me: Nudge wasn't quite acting like herself just before M threw her where ever she threw her. A master manipulator like Nudge may have taken the extremity of Monica's possible response into account. Nudge found a spell to give her a human visage, but there's nothing to say she couldn't have cast it on someone else. Like, for example, a willing accomplice who could not only withstand a lava bath but could poit in her own right. That could have been Bud glamoured-up as Nudge, and knew just what buttons to push. Nudge could step out of the shadows (cue Tsillah) once the full weight of what she might have done hits her.

M: Oh, god! What have I done!?
Monica: %&#@$*# I'll teach YOU!!! BURN! BURN! BURN! SUPER POIT> a sun far away goes nova.

Surprises like that would probably retrigger the Jaguar Girl.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

CraigR wrote:
Boxilar wrote:After all, Shelly was deathly afraid of letting her feral nature loose and hurting someone and if Justin weren't a Titan, she still would have killed him.
Minor nit-pick: It was mentioned that the reason Shelly turned the claws on with Justin when he startled her was her instinctively sensing he wasn't human. Had it been a normal human who came upon Shelly unexpectedly, while she would likely have jumped away with inhuman speed, she would have maintained human form.
Ummm... where was that mentioned, and by whom? I don't recall that from the strip; although a forumite might have speculated that this might be the case, I don't recall Paul ever having made it "official".
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

TlalocW wrote:
Phix, Golem Girls, Tepoz, Vampire chicks, and any other supernatural beings I've left out suddenly appear.
All: Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Monica, happy birthday to you!
Yeah--they only had one candle (=Nudge), which Monica had to light herself.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Looking at the past comics in this arc I am still thinking that Monica did not do the poiting. The energy discharge around Nudge and the smouldering sidewalk look more like she tried to astral flame Nudge and something else poited her away at the same time.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Mark N wrote:Looking at the past comics in this arc I am still thinking that Monica did not do the poiting. The energy discharge around Nudge and the smouldering sidewalk look more like she tried to astral flame Nudge and something else poited her away at the same time.
Whoever poited Nudge away didn't have good aim then.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

lake_wrangler wrote:
ShadOBabe wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:DON'T LOOK IN HER EYES!

What? Someone had to say it...
Too late!! ;)
DON'T LOOK Ethel, err, MONICA!
Too late! She done got iced!
Lookatdat, Lookatdat, she's showen her physeeks!
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

You know, now I'm beginning to wonder if all this is just a dream Monica is having. It's becoming all too surreal. Either that or the part about Nudge and doing bad things to her was just a rage filled illusion.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

TlalocW wrote:
Mark N wrote:Looking at the past comics in this arc I am still thinking that Monica did not do the poiting. The energy discharge around Nudge and the smouldering sidewalk look more like she tried to astral flame Nudge and something else poited her away at the same time.
Whoever poited Nudge away didn't have good aim then.
Could be the Phoenix Aspect *poit!*ing, and that is just how it looks when it happens. And I'm hoping Nudge knows what she's doing, because it looks like no one else did. Euryale may seem calm until Monica tells her where the Trickster was sent to get upgraded to Crispy Critter. There is a reason why She-Shadow and Glacial Gorgon are on the scene
Shademaker

Post by Shademaker »

Dave wrote:
(Deposits a large handful of slugs in the Pray-o-mat, in Zelazny's honor)
Glad to see someone else knows Zelazny.

I would love to have seen a collaboration between these two.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

TlalocW wrote:
Monica: ...Aaaand you guys are about three months too late, too.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber