How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
The Old Wolf

How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Post by The Old Wolf »

Is that a lava lake? Hard to tell in black and white. At any rate, Monica is well and truly Pyst. Not only did she flash the faceglyph, but her whole being went dark. The feeling of latent power wrapped up in these last two strips is phenomenal. Image
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
zachariah

Re: How's That for a Burn 2012-11-27

Post by zachariah »

Monica was really, really mad with that one. She alos knew exactly where she sent nudge, so yes it was a lake of lava.

To any one who thought Nudge was hot, she deffinetly is now. Monica magma-sized that poit.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
ShadOBabe

Re: How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Post by ShadOBabe »

Knew it wouldn't be more painful than embarrassing.

Nudge will be fine I'm sure, but here's the thing...
Will Monica stop after the anger subsides and realize what she just did and how it COULD have turned out had the poit-ee been mortal?
Or will she think she's totally justified, feel absolutely no remorse and assert that she'd be able to control herself if it had been a mortal person?
OR... will Nudge actually play up being severely wounded or even deceased to drive the point home?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Yup, that's gonna require some ointment afterward.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Well after all of this is over Monica will definitely know she is supremely dangerous. The horror will follow as she wonders when will she kill someone. She will really need her dog after that one sinks in.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Nudge needs to work on her defensive poiting.

Hoping it's not lava (Yellowstone hot springs, maybe?) but it probably is, considering how angry M is. Fully expecting a thoroughly disheveled and moderately crispy Nudge to re-appear momentarily and say something like:

"And this is how you treat people?"

Wonder what Tsilla will think about this?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Nudge needs to work on her defensive poiting.
Nudge cannot poit at all!. She either asks Tepoz or one of the GGs to be a "soccer mom" and transport her, or she uses the Library annex system to portal her somewhere.

Taking on Monica, verbally or otherwise, took real guts... because she doesn't have the power to poit away from whatever M throws her into.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

So instead of Poiting Nudge over Lake Calhoun, Monica Poits her over a lake of fire instead. Smooth move Nudge.

Now the question remains, Will Monica get grip of her raging anger and realize what she's just done, and did anyone witness what just happened? And just to make matter worse, this'd be an opportune time for Monica's demons to rear their ugly heads and try to take advantage of the situation. Can anyone say Dark Phoenix?
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Uh oh.

Monica is now fully on the Dark Side.

And, she'll find out we already ate the cookies!

(Hopefully, the Dark Side efects are temporary - fangs and all)

PS -Monica, your ass is on fire, also.

PPS - Hrm, we DID all comment under the wrong title for this comic.
Last edited by NOTDilbert on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
donoho

Post by donoho »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:So instead of Poiting Nudge over Lake Calhoun, Monica Poits her over a lake of fire instead. Smooth move Nudge.

Now the question remains, Will Monica get grip of her raging anger and realize what she's just done, and did anyone witness what just happened? And just to make matter worse, this'd be an opportune time for Monica's demons to rear their ugly heads and try to take advantage of the situation. Can anyone say Dark Phoenix?
On first read, I thought it was a "regular" lake and that Nudge was lucky she didn't set her on fire before dropping her in. Now I'm just in a state of WTF. There's no way M is getting through this without MASSIVE Guilt/Remorse. She's never struck me as a character that sees violence as a solution, let alone rage induced violence. I hope Nudge will be okay. :(
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

donoho wrote:
Stigmartyr762 wrote:So instead of Poiting Nudge over Lake Calhoun, Monica Poits her over a lake of fire instead. Smooth move Nudge.

On first read, I thought it was a "regular" lake and that Nudge was lucky she didn't set her on fire before dropping her in. Now I'm just in a state of WTF. There's no way M is getting through this without MASSIVE Guilt/Remorse. She's never struck me as a character that sees violence as a solution, let alone rage induced violence. I hope Nudge will be okay. :(
You seem to have forgotten about her packing heat when she was suspicious of her friends and thinking they might use her during the Calendar Machine ordeal. Granted that time she was justified.
But she's also been known to be incredibly reckless and haughty with her powers, using them to humiliate and scare her friends (though I think the reaction to having her heart torn out was also justified) and randomly poiting away TONS of snow, where it landed on a cruise ship and could have potentially crushed a ton of innocent people (I say potentially because my head doesn't want to go down the dark road of "yes, she totally did just crush a bunch of vacationers to death under several tons of frozen water").
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

ComicReader wrote:I thought the title was "And The Horse You Road In On" (sic). I like this one better, though.
What Monica actually was saying-- 'You can got to H***!'. She has used that phrase before. This was just a little more direct action is all. Hey Charron you've got a visitor.

A point about Poiting. Does Monica actually need to know where she poits something to? Or does she just have to decide where to poit to? What prevents poiting into a solid object. If she needs to know the location which is the impression the strip gives.
1. Poits Shelly and TIna up inot thin air and remarks her G'Pa took her skydiving there.
We probably need to ask Jin about it. That girl is a master of the poit. Remember how she got Monica dressed and ready one time simply using poiting?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Well, Nudge was going for an anger response. I think maybe she got more than she bargained for.

Cue The Man in Black.

And it burns, burns, burns,
That ring of fire,
That ring of fire...
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

The cutaway strongly suggests that this wasn't an illusion of Tsillah's, which I was half-expecting. So Nudge has really been sent into a cornfield better known as a volcanic lava field, or perhaps into the Sun itself.

Assuming she can survive, if Monica never tells anyone Nudge is there, she'll remain trapped in stone or fire. Nudge may never be found until the end of the world.

T minus 24 days.

And counting.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Until now, Monica has needed to know where she was poiting someone/thing to. But I think her new powers are enhancing that. This was not just a regular poit, it fried Nudge (thus the smoking spot on the pavement). While I am (almost) certain that Nudge will be ok, I doubt that she was expecting something like this!

On another note... *drops entire music collection - records, tapes, cd's - into pun jar*
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

You know, it would probably be a tad bit more morbid that Wapsisquare likes to go (well, outside of flashbacks), but having this be the ultimate 'end' of Nudge could be kinda interesting to see storywise. Granted, Nudge would probably have predicted something like this, and her failure to prepare an escape well in advance would be a bit out of character for her. But wouldn't it be interesting if Nudge wasn't quite so invulnerable/immortal as Monica thinks Nudge is? Imagine the fallout that would occur not only for Monica, but the rest of Wapsi's cast (especially Tina, Shelly & Phix, but also Bud & Brandi. Jin & May might just not give a hoot).
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Oh, well.

If it kills Nudge, Monica can now just GO TO THE REALM OF THE DEAD AND BRING HER BACK (after she calms down).

Jaguar Girl, you know....

(Monica's IPhone): *chirp* paging MONICA VILLAREAL 'JAGUAR GIRL' - please meet your party at the
check-in desk - CERBERUS@DeadRealm.com

NOTE: NOT a real URL (far as I know)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Monica is going to come to her senses shortly and realize that Nudge can't 'poit' out of her predicament. It will be interesting to see who she goes to for help, and how they get Nudge back.

Alternatively, Nudge, a little crisp fried around the edges, will automatically reappear in the Library, leaving Monica nothing to find and resulting in major angst, until she visits the Library and finds out. Probably from Phix, because Nudge won’t let her off easy without Monica and Phix making up.

Either way, Monica now has to deal with herself being a possibly bigger monster than Phix. Which may have been Nudge’s goal, in which case Nudge is WAY more brave than anyone expected.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

My2Cents wrote:Monica is going to come to her senses shortly and realize that Nudge can't 'poit' out of her predicament. It will be interesting to see who she goes to for help, and how they get Nudge back.

Alternatively, Nudge, a little crisp fried around the edges, will automatically reappear in the Library, leaving Monica nothing to find and resulting in major angst, until she visits the Library and finds out. Probably from Phix, because Nudge won’t let her off easy without Monica and Phix making up.

Either way, Monica now has to deal with herself being a possibly bigger monster than Phix. Which may have been Nudge’s goal, in which case Nudge is WAY more brave than anyone expected.
Second option, ftw!!