How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Post by Mark N »

ShadOBabe wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Monica is going to come to her senses shortly and realize that Nudge can't 'poit' out of her predicament. It will be interesting to see who she goes to for help, and how they get Nudge back.

Alternatively, Nudge, a little crisp fried around the edges, will automatically reappear in the Library, leaving Monica nothing to find and resulting in major angst, until she visits the Library and finds out. Probably from Phix, because Nudge won’t let her off easy without Monica and Phix making up.

Either way, Monica now has to deal with herself being a possibly bigger monster than Phix. Which may have been Nudge’s goal, in which case Nudge is WAY more brave than anyone expected.
Second option, ftw!!
Well after Nudge pulled off her Piss off Phix maneuver which ended in a nasty free fall, we knew that she was extremely brave (if not NUTS) :shock: . But here we will find out how durable she is. :roll:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I am wondering if this is Nudge trying to get Monica to realize that she is a monster just like Phix is.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

Mark N wrote:
ShadOBabe wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Monica is going to come to her senses shortly and realize that Nudge can't 'poit' out of her predicament. It will be interesting to see who she goes to for help, and how they get Nudge back.

Alternatively, Nudge, a little crisp fried around the edges, will automatically reappear in the Library, leaving Monica nothing to find and resulting in major angst, until she visits the Library and finds out. Probably from Phix, because Nudge won’t let her off easy without Monica and Phix making up.

Either way, Monica now has to deal with herself being a possibly bigger monster than Phix. Which may have been Nudge’s goal, in which case Nudge is WAY more brave than anyone expected.
Second option, ftw!!
Well after Nudge pulled off her Piss off Phix maneuver which ended in a nasty free fall, we knew that she was extremely brave (if not NUTS) :shock: . But here we will find out how durable she is. :roll:
Being a trickster deity, I assume she's pretty durable.
Having existed all this time while undoubtedly managing to troll tons of supernatural beings? Surely SOME of the other super powered entities have tried something equally violent to punish her for having pissed them off.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I don't understand the sidewalk scorch mark. Nudge doesn't look blackened or anything. Unless Monica's aim, in her rage, was to obliterate Nudge via her astral fire and someone else actually poited her to save her, unbeknownst to Monica. Poited her to a lake (as pre-planned?) to douse her in case she was on fire at the moment of poiting. I'm not sure that's lava although I don't know what all that stuff falling into the whatever is. Maybe it's burning debris from what Monica did being poited along with Nudge.

The problem with it being lava is that Nudge does receive injuries when put through the grinder, as evidenced by the episode with Tina and Shelly pummeling her. She healed shortly thereafter, but still, she had to suffer the damage from the blows. Plus Phix saved her when she jumped out the window, indicating the fall would not have been pleasant for Nudge, even though she would have lived through it. Nudge seems to be somewhat like Justin in that regard. Immortal but susceptible to injury. Being dunked into lava would cause massive (and perhaps very painful) damage too horrible to contemplate. It just seems unlikely Paul would go there. But, then with Paul you never know.

Monica has definitely crossed over to the dark side this day.
Last edited by Bathorys Daughter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Yarner

Post by Yarner »

Mark N wrote:I am wondering if this is Nudge trying to get Monica to realize that she is a monster just like Phix is.
Fair point - as one of M's problems is that she has met Phix's "monster" side and realised that she, the mortal has no business in that realm...
Apparently she may just realize that she is just as deadly ad Phix, if provoked, and "mere mortals" may see her with the same eyes as she saw Phix...

(By the way, I've just seen Wapsi's Google Search hit: it says "Monica, Amanda, their lives, their tribulations and friends." 2 things: 1: this needs upgrading, for like, 4 years now, 2: What's up with Amanda these days? M would need to go out with some non-supernatural friends these days...
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Watch where you're Poiting
Feet off the ground
I know you're real mad now
Real mad now.

(hey Monica)

Your,
Your ASS is on fire!
Consumed,
As if dipped in the fryer

(to the tune of Sex is on Fire by Kings of Leon)

Actually I think that is normal water but Mon intended Nudge to hit it flaming, and got the target wrong... Which means she is gonna realise that she is HOT and have to poit herself into the lake and then both of them will have to drag their sorry sodden slightly scorched asses out and deal...
illiad

Post by illiad »

hey I almost got it right!!! :) :) :)
I would think that nudge and her clothes are resistant to most things, her being a demigod, etc... a standard sidewalk, not so resistant!!! :P

and yes, I guess that *could* be hell... with Charron saying.."hey nudge, you back here again??? what god have you pyssed of now????" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

... and no, M's not in trouble.. she knows nudge is near indestructible (except in the library, I think!), unlike her human friends... and it does take immense insults to anger her... :)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

illiad wrote:hey I almost got it right!!! :) :) :)
I would think that nudge and her clothes are resistant to most things, her being a demigod, etc... a standard sidewalk, not so resistant!!! :P

and yes, I guess that *could* be hell... with Charron saying.."hey nudge, you back here again??? what god have you pyssed of now????"
Or ... "Crossed paths with the Jaguar did we?" Good thought though, she was poited to the river Styx. Would make sense.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

"SPLORCH!" is one of my favorite words, like, ever.

This action is consistent with the trend. Nudge is clearly trying to reconcile Monica with Phix, first by goading Phix into chasing her out the window (forcing Phix to save her and proving that Phix really is compassionate). Now she is goading Monica, first by suggesting that she will tell Phix that Monica is dead, and then by doing what she did today, which has forced Monica to behave in a way similar to what she had seen in phix. So now Nudge has shown that Monica really doesn't have a leg to stand on in her indignation towards Phix, because Nudge has proven that Monica really has no more control over her power than does Phix. I think Monica and Phix will make up with each other soon, now that they recognize they each have a little bit of each other's qualities, good and bad. Too bad Nudge had to end up crispy and fried to force the issue.

Or is she a hot Nudge sundae?
yuk yuk yuk...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

txmystic wrote:"SPLORCH!" is one of my favorite words, like, ever.

Edit: Well thought out interpretation of Nudge's motives

Or is she a hot Nudge sundae?
yuk yuk yuk...
But it's only Tuesday... :?

I will share my thoughts on today's strip in the form of an interpretive dance...accompanied by the following song.

Fire Lake

Who's gonna piss off the little glyph reader
Just bend her until she breaks
Little bird's gonna singe her feathers
Falling down into Fire Lake

Who wants to tell her what she already knows
Could a golem survive her ire?
This is medicine she don't want to take
Man this is really gonna blow
Falling down into fire lake
Falling down into fire lake

Who wants to ride those lava curls?
Cresting in the gloom
Riding on the barrels swirl
Striving for the shore
The waves start to swell
Must outrun the roar
The scent of dog hair burning
And Lord isn't that a bad smell
Great Gods
I just can't take any more

Who's gonna play that dead man's hand?
Who can be that brave?
How much can you take?
Gives a whole new meaning to heat wave
When you fall into Fire Lake
(Fall Down)
Who wants to fall in Fire Lake?
(Fall Down)
Into Fire Lake
Who's gonna do it?

(Some of you may notice a similarity to Bob Seger's 'Fire Lake'. I am reasonably sure that Mr. Seger would not care to claim any responsibility for the aforementinoned musical interlude.)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Vengeful poiting :o

Wildcat
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

illiad wrote: ... and no, M's not in trouble.. she knows nudge is near indestructible (except in the library, I think!), unlike her human friends... and it does take immense insults to anger her... :)
I think it's IN the Library Nudge and Phix are nigh invulnerable...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Monica's on the steps of her museum. Whether what she did to Nudge is permanent or not is going on Monica's back burner (and that pun didn't occur to me until I had already typed it :) ) if the next thing she sees is Katherine or Amanda having just witnessed what she'd done.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Jabberwonky wrote:
illiad wrote: ... and no, M's not in trouble.. she knows nudge is near indestructible (except in the library, I think!), unlike her human friends... and it does take immense insults to anger her... :)
I think it's IN the Library Nudge and Phix are nigh invulnerable...
Yeah, it is in the library Nudge and Phix are most secure. Remember the whole Phix punting Bia outta the Library incident. Probably would have played out rather differently if they were in the parking lot.
Dave11

Re: And The Horse You Rode In On 2012-11-27

Post by Dave11 »

"Splorch" is not usually the sound associated with a trip into the water - I am quite concerned for Nudge here. She might be functionally immortal, but that doesn't mean she can't be killed.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Liska

Post by Liska »

Hopefully I'm not coming off as too harsh- but I really hope Monica gets her head out of her ass soon- I've been moving from liking her, into dislike, and sort of moving into hatred.

On topic: OW.
Atomic

Re: And The Horse You Rode In On 2012-11-27

Post by Atomic »

Dave11 wrote:"Splorch" is not usually the sound associated with a trip into the water -
Considering that lava is molten rock, think of dropping something into, er, on to a pool of thick mud. You won't go very deep, the mud will splash, and there you lie. Except that you're on fire. Lots of fire. Fire fire fire!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Ohnhai wrote:Actually I think that is normal water but Mon intended Nudge to hit it flaming, and got the target wrong... Which means she is gonna realise that she is HOT and have to poit herself into the lake and then both of them will have to drag their sorry sodden slightly scorched asses out and deal...
Nah, that sound is NOT water, it's lava, and remember when she brought Amanda into the loop... she both poited her INTO the Lake AND OUT OF the lake, so all she has to do is the same for Nudge... after she realizes/remembers that Nudge can't poit by herself.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

scantrontb wrote: Nah, that sound is NOT water, it's lava, and remember when she brought Amanda into the loop... she both poited her INTO the Lake AND OUT OF the lake, so all she has to do is the same for Nudge... after she realizes/remembers that Nudge can't poit by herself.
Hopefully she does not bring along the lava the way the water came along from Lake Calhoun. That would make one helluva mess of the sidewalk in front of the museum.

Not to mention being a bit hard to explain even for MIB.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

scantrontb wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:Actually I think that is normal water but Mon intended Nudge to hit it flaming, and got the target wrong... Which means she is gonna realise that she is HOT and have to poit herself into the lake and then both of them will have to drag their sorry sodden slightly scorched asses out and deal...
Nah, that sound is NOT water, it's lava, and remember when she brought Amanda into the loop... she both poited her INTO the Lake AND OUT OF the lake, so all she has to do is the same for Nudge... after she realizes/remembers that Nudge can't poit by herself.

looking again, quite possibly. :) and after the whole 'gauntlet' fiasco i'm not wanting to stick my neck out too far :P