How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jeffepp

Re: How's That for a Burn? 2012-11-27

Post by jeffepp »

On Nudge being beaten by Shelly: Keep in mind that Shelly is ALSO a Demi-god. She just did not know it at the time. For that matter, she may not know it yet. The point is, many creatures of myth and legend can only be truly damaged by other such creatures. i.e. Only a child of Zeus, or another major god, could have killed Medusa. Of course, this varies from case to case. Just pointing it out.

As for what Nudge got dropped into, my guess is hot mud, like you find in Yellowstone Park.

As for what's up with Monica, sumpen ain't right. This is more than her demons getting out of hand. She is physically transforming into something feral. I think that this was NOT something Nudge knew about when she made her plan of attack. I have been saying for years now that her bust size is related to her power, and they seem to swell in this incident. I think we are finding out the next "Quest to Fix Someone" is for M.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jeffepp wrote:As for what Nudge got dropped into, my guess is hot mud, like you find in Yellowstone Park..
You could be right... but the light-and-dark mosaic appearance, and the light color of the splashes, makes it look very much like a lake of lava to me (see image below). Hot mud tends to be rather featureless, aside from the occasional bubble.
Haylo wrote:The moral question is, does she rein in her powers the very minute (in about one more heartbeat) that she realizes she has truly deadly power in her hands?
Yes, that's going to make a huge difference. If she shouts Undo! immediately, it will at least mitigate what she has done. If she storms off in a "Serves her right!" mood... that would be really, really bad.

I have to wonder... now that she's juiced up on Phoenix blood, is there anyone we've seen in the Wapsiverse who could actually stop her? Even a sudden sneak attack by a Golem - poiting in while she's asleep, crushing her head, and then immediately poiting her remains into the middle of the sun - might not do more than slow her down. The limits to her regenerative capability haven't been laid out... if she's completely vaporized and converted into a cloud of incandescent plasma, is she truly "done for" or can she pull herself together somehow and poit to safety?
ShadOBabe wrote:... Have you been inside my head, Dave? Because that's pretty much EXACTLY what I was thinking.
Why yes I have, and a lovely place it is indeed! The fine finish on the pons, the color accents on the cerebral cortex... very nicely done! :D
Like Bia said to Shelly, no one can hold her responsible for what she's done. She's too powerful. She can only hold herself accountable.
Monica needs a nice big slice of humble pie. And this could be how she gets it.

And if this was all Nudge's intention before this happened, then holy crap, she now rivals Bud as my favorite character.
Yup... that's how I see it.

Nudge is playing a big game here - and this makes me think that in her new role as a Phoenix-turbo'ed Jaguar Woman, Monica must be Incredibly Important in some way or ways that aren't really clear right now. Yes, she's clearly powerful... but it must be essential for her to be willing and able to use her new power as part of whatever game is afoot, and use it wisely.

Otherwise, Nudge wouldn't be going to such lengths (and risking so much personal pain at the very least) to get Phix and Monica talking to one another again. She'd have stopped at the "You're both my friends, you don't have to be each other's friends" point, and not gone into her "Diss her until she goes nuclear" putdown rap.

Nudge definitely has guts. I hope they aren't at the "cracklin'" stage of crispiness yet.
Attachments
bp2-smaller.jpg
bp2-smaller.jpg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 10079 times
Last edited by Dave on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Mark N wrote:I am wondering if this is Nudge trying to get Monica to realize that she is a monster just like Phix is.
More like the first stage of learning control--which is to admit you have loads of unexplored and uncontrolled power, plus anger issues. That does make for a potential monster--but if used well, it can also make for one hecuva beneficent, galaxy-class Power.
bmonk

Re: And The Horse You Rode In On 2012-11-27

Post by bmonk »

Atomic wrote:
Dave11 wrote:"Splorch" is not usually the sound associated with a trip into the water -
Considering that lava is molten rock, think of dropping something into, er, on to a pool of thick mud. You won't go very deep, the mud will splash, and there you lie. Except that you're on fire. Lots of fire. Fire fire fire!
I was thinking Lava splash! (especially from about 3:30)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:I'm amazed Nimrod isn't here pontificating about how Monica has Crossed The Line...
This doesn't look like any Equatorial-crossing ritual I've ever heard about.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

txmystic wrote:Or is she a hot Nudge sundae?
yuk yuk yuk...
Pay up, it knows where you lurk...I mean live.
*drops a mint condition "The Shadow and the Golden Master" into the pun jar...just to be safe*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Gemi

Post by Gemi »

Wow, I never thought I would see M truly show fangs. Dude!

~Gemi
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

It's always interesting to let your imagination play out different ways a story could go - if they had stopped with one Matrix movie where Neo flies into the sky to free humanity, leaving it to our imagination how he does it, I think that would have been a better end than subjecting ourselves to the sequels. I personally would think it would be hilarious if Monica did go Dark Phoenix and have to be destroyed by those who love her just because we would never see it coming, and it's a wonderful bookend to the first comic where she's wondering if she's a pushover. I don't expect this though, but Paul never disappoints so I'm eager to see how it plays out.

TlalocW
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Atomic wrote:
Dave11 wrote:"Splorch" is not usually the sound associated with a trip into the water -
Considering that lava is molten rock, think of dropping something into, er, on to a pool of thick mud. You won't go very deep, the mud will splash, and there you lie. Except that you're on fire. Lots of fire. Fire fire fire!
It's liquid molten rock. Thick mud? Not very thick at all... depending on temperature. It looks like a lake of lava, so... it's probably *very* liquid. How far you'd sink in before having been burned to nothing, that's the question.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Well, M... GET A FUCKIN' GRIP ON YOURSELF!

I'm really angry with her right this moment. And I hope it won't take her much more or much longer to accept her own power and level of dangerousness.

And I'm with whoever (haven't even read the whole thread yet, I'm this hot to post) that this is likely Nudge's attempt to make M realize that she can be a right bastard monster just like Phix. (I thought this has strike-through...)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote: Nudge is playing a big game here - and this makes me think that in her new role as a Phoenix-turbo'ed Jaguar Woman, Monica must be Incredibly Important in some way or ways that aren't really clear right now. Yes, she's clearly powerful... but it must be essential for her to be willing and able to use her new power as part of whatever game is afoot, and use it wisely.
Well, someone in this comic still sees dead people.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

DeMonica! Love the black hair girl, but get a grip.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No one has dared color that last page?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:Considering that lava is molten rock, think of dropping something into, er, on to a pool of thick mud. You won't go very deep, the mud will splash, and there you lie. Except that you're on fire. Lots of fire. Fire fire fire!
Heh. Fire, huh?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Paging Miss Jaguar Girl... paging Miss Jaguar Girl...

You're wanted in the Principal's office...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:No one has dared color that last page?
W.I.P.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:No one has dared color that last page?
W.I.P.
I figured you would be the one to do it. Looks good by the way.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Leak

Post by Leak »

TheDOCTOR wrote:DeMonica!
^ I think we have a winner...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Leak wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:DeMonica!
^ I think we have a winner...
I have to agree with your assessment. So DeMonica has my vote too.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Fairportfan wrote: Heh. Fire, huh?
Have not heard that for YEARS!! Love it! Thanks.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced