Just Getting By 2012-11-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ShadOBabe

Re: Just Getting Buy 2012-11-26

Post by ShadOBabe »

Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:I'm pretty sure it's Nudge's own plan; perhaps she's doing this to show Monica that she can defend herself from Phix. Not likely that she'd ever NEED to defend herself from Phix, but knowing that she CAN should put Mon at ease enough to be friends with her again.
I am sure that this is all Nudge's plan but I do not think it was to get Monica to realize that she can defend herself against Phix, but to let her know that she is more like Phix than she realizes, that she can also be a monster if she is not careful
I think it may be both of those things, and more besides... and it can be summed up fairly simply.

Nudge is trying to get Monica to acknowledge and accept who and what she truly is.

As Bud and Shelly have seen and said, Monica has been very heavily in denial about herself, and her true place in the paranormal world. She hasn't been willing to accept and admit to her own power(s)... this caused her to retreat from Phix in fear (unnecessarily, it turns out) and it could also make her a danger to other people (if she doesn't know her own strength). In other fiction I've read (Donaldson possibly?) there has been a theme that if you ignore or deny your own power, you can make it possible for another person to control it (and you!)... possibly Monica is leaving herself open to that sort of danger?

Nudge's insulting put-downs seem intended to goad Monica into coming out of her shell in outrage... "tricking" Monica into acting as the powerful and dangerous paranormal being that she now is, and having to admit this truth about herself to herself.

In a way, it's a bit like the big crisis-confrontation between Shelly and Justin some months ago... it's full of "confront the truth" and "What am I?" moments. It's all about Identity.

(and about flying buttons. M really must be pissed!)
I really like all of these ideas. And I think Nudge is a very courageous, self-sacrificing person to do this too.
I'm sure she'll live and she knows it, but whatever Monica just did to her, I'm betting it's going to end in a LOT of pain for Nudge. No doubt Nudge knew that going in.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Mark N wrote:Monica may be thinking "How dare you make me understand that I am a supernatural" much as Shelly and Justin had to go through to full accept their lives and futures.
I'm not sure Monica is really thinking right now, she's too angry.

Welcome back, Paul! Awesome strip!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Cyrus McDugan

Re: Just Getting By 2012-11-26

Post by Cyrus McDugan »

... "Poit"? (o.O)

I wonder where Nudge will reappear. Will she also 'visit' Nicollet Mall where Shelly and Bud went?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I think the critical mistake that Nudge made here is that she hasn't talked to Bud and Shelly. She probably dosen't know about the whole heart punching incident and Monica's awakening and reset. Nudge was operating under the assumpion that M was still in denial. I think Nudge is several steps behind what is going on with Monica. Monica has moved past denial and is in a transitional state emotionaly as she adjusts to her new reality.

And by that, I mean that her temper is on a hair trigger.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Boxilar wrote:And by that, I mean that her temper is on a hair trigger.
Not so much, Nudge is in her human disguise...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:
Mark N wrote:Is it just me or is this the first time we have seen Monica use a face light since the calendar Machine was destroyed???? Does that mean that she now has her own personal symbol like each of the GG's??? I just wonder where Nudge was sent and if she as Bud watching her to get her back when Monica realizes that she has no idea where she just sent Nudge.
At times of stress or anger the glyph shows up on her face. It has happened before. I just wonder where Nudge ended up. That poit looked at lot more powerful than others. Usually it's a simple poit. This time it was accominied by a mega energy surge.
Monica might have sent Nudge back to the Demon realm. She is the Demon Shepherd, so that could logically be one of her powers.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

Cyrus McDugan wrote:... "Poit"? (o.O)

I wonder where Nudge will reappear. Will she also 'visit' Nicollet Mall where Shelly and Bud went?
No, I'm thinking this time the results are going to be a little less humiliating and a LOT more painful.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

I think she's been sent to San Francisco.
(See "The Man Who Could Work Miracles," by H.G. Wells)
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Yamara wrote:Glad you're feeling better, Paul.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me: I have to buy a pincushion.
May I suggest http://www.etsy.com/listing/106307722/c ... -glass-jar? It's from my wife's Etsy shop. Use the Cyber Monday code CYBERMON30 today and get 30% off. :D
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

So M has suddenly gone all dark complexion and brunette and the glyph completely obscured her face as Nudge disappears in an especially messy-looking teleport. Oh, dear...

Wait a minute. What am I worried about? Based on my reading of Wapsi Square, actions with "permanent" consequences never happen in the present. People getting shredded on-screen or dying in apocalyptic fireballs always happen in flashbacks. The two instances that have come closest to permanent things happening during the "now" are Shelly's death by radiation exposure in the time forest and Monica getting her heart punched out by Bud. With Shelly, it wasn't out Shelly and Monica literally got better the very next strip. The worst that will happen to Nudge will be a little embarrassment or humiliation.

With that said, a couple weeks of Dark Monica might be an interesting change...
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Wow. Nice return from the unintentional cliffhanger. I don't think Monica's ever been this pissed.

I think she might be affecting the Ghostbuster's PKE readings all by herself with that rage.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Heheh.. Am I the only one who is gleefully imagining the most embarrassing places Nudge could end-up?

If I were Monica, I'd send Nudge to the local water plant, straight into one of those effluent-basins used to make "solids"(ahem) settle on the bottom, so the actual cleaning of the water can start.. :lol:
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Well, bust my buttons!

I hope this ends up well - I think Nudge genuinely wants her friends to be happy, but she has already shown that her favorite way to "nudge" people is through gut reactions and anger. :?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Facing up to WHO you are and HOW you are, are two very different things. Bud worked to show M How she is (neigh immortal), and now Nudge is forcing M to face How she is (amazing powers in an itty-bitty container). Monica's character is well established, and she has every reason to be proud and confident as both an accomplished Pre-Columbian expert, and a skilled "magic" user (poiting, etc). Further, she is very independent, not relying (much) on other peoples opinion of her (like here). That said, she still has her insecurities, particularly regarding her prior incarcerations and near-fatal injuries of her youth. Not perfect by a long shot, but much stronger for it.

Bud set the stage with the heart incident, and now Nudge, to reveal the conflict between her character and her abilities. From setting the stage in the original cartoon (Amanda, am I naive?), much of this whole series had been about growth in the face of obstacles. Nudge is now forcing her to both admit her growth (just getting by) and her powers. Her powers are a threat, now, becaue M is not facing their potential, nor understanding the responsibility of having them.

It's amazing what you can survive! </Jafar>
Last edited by Atomic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Another observation: In the first panel, M popped a button. Did we just witness a magic-related growth spurt?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A note: Doubt did come back after that little Poit.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

And with that 'I Justin Bieber' tattoo she won't explain...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Would it be fair to say that Nudge may have reached the poit of no return? :-)
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Julie

Post by Julie »

:shock:

Oh yeah...I should blink...but still... :shock:
Dave wrote:In other fiction I've read (Donaldson possibly?) there has been a theme that if you ignore or deny your own power, you can make it possible for another person to control it (and you!)... possibly Monica is leaving herself open to that sort of danger?
I also seem to recall reading fictions where ignoring or failing to train and harness a power made the individual dangerous to him/herself and others (I'm thinking of Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series though...The Last Herald Mage and the Heralds of Valdemar trilogies being the prime examples).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I could be wrong, but I think this was the last time seeing Monica's glyph. I also don't think Nudge is going to land in an innocuous place like the lake. I do think that this is what Nudge is aiming for to get Monica mad enough to use her power destructively. Nudge has the guts to "play" with a sphinx to help her. Monica is just as dangerous if not more... and she hasn't realized or completely processed the idea of it yet and it is essential that she does and soon. I'm sure Nudge is thinking, "This is gonna hurt!"
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt