Delayed Comic 2012-11-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Delayed Comic 2012-11-22

Post by jwhouk »

Add to the list Buckley vs. Kurtz.

Oh, the epic battles.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
bmonk wrote:
bmonk wrote:Yes. We will give thanks even without Wapsi Square--although it may be harder. Concentrate on getting well.
I may have spoken too soon. I'm going through withdrawal.

But I think I can survive.

F5 . . . F5 . . . F5 . . . F5 . . . .
Wapsi Withdrawal Blues

"But I think I can survive
On F5, F5, F5"

(Yeah, just a spontaneous inspiration, not a real work of art.)

(DAMN. Normally, you get royalties. But in these here parts, you gotta pay. The... PUN JAR! Okay, here are some chord progressions, you ravenous beast!)
You only get royalties after you've paid your dues... ;)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:I mean, really. Gahan Wilson was right about this.
It was certainly meant in jest. Pablo is already the hardest working man in webcomics.
Oh, I know... I just couldn't resist the opportunity to indulge in some mock-horror ;)
And to answer the esteemed Mr. Wilson - It must be, look how many worship it through the television.
"Well, I'll buy that for a quarter!"
You have no idea how many times I've reflected on how prophetic C. M. Kornbluth was. He wrote The Marching Morons 61 years ago. That's before Sean Hannity and Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo. Newton Minow wouldn't declare television a vast wasteland for another 10 years.

Dr. Otter
Little Black Bag #674,101
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dr. Otter wrote:You have no idea how many times I've reflected on how prophetic C. M. Kornbluth was. He wrote The Marching Morons 61 years ago. That's before Sean Hannity and Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo. Newton Minow wouldn't declare television a vast wasteland for another 10 years.
Another piece of marvelous social prophecy In the guise of science fiction: Ray Bradbury's "The Murderer". Bradbury successfully predicted the constant-chatterhead "cellphone culture" at least fifty years before it arrived...

.. and knowing it was coming didn't help. It still drives me crazy. </grumpy-old-guy>
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

jwhouk wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:
Dave wrote: Could be worse... consider today's plight among the Ctrl-Alt-Del fans...
Indeed. You could hear us screaming from all over. Just think if Paul had had Shel stab Monica in the head without all that "You can't kill her!" and then just said... "The End"

Yeah.

This is how we feel. After reading that today, this... this is a low blip on the radar, though a well loved blip.
That would presume that CAD was actually as good as Wapsi. And that Buckley was actually as good as Pablo.

And both presumptions are wildly inaccurate, as Pablo has more talent in his little finger than Buckley ever had.

</quiznos_hate>

EDIT: Of course, NO ONE has ANYTHING on Howard Tayler.
C-A-D was one of the first webcomics I started reading - just behind Questionable Content and Schlock Mercenary. Talent at art aside, the post-cerberus syndrome CAD had a story I enjoyed. While the author's reasoning for a "reboot" is valid, the story shall be missed.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

chibichibi01 wrote:
Dave wrote:Could be worse... consider today's plight among the Ctrl-Alt-Del fans...
Indeed. You could hear us screaming from all over. Just think if Paul had had Shel stab Monica in the head without all that "You can't kill her!" and then just said... "The End"

Yeah.

This is how we feel. After reading that today, this... this is a low blip on the radar, though a well loved blip.
My condolences - yeah, it hurts when one of our favorite fiction-lines comes to an end and the characters leave our lives (even if it's well known in advance that it's going to happen... which I gather was not the case for C-A-D). And, added to the very personal loss you suffered recently... ow... I imagine that it's rather like salt in a wound. :(

You can at least console yourself slightly in seeing that the C-A-D reboot has led to the discussion of something near and dear to Pablo's heart.

Perhaps this is how he spent some of his time this weekend, while recovering from his nasty case of That Which Should Not Have Been Eaten By Anything Other Than A Hyena?
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Dave wrote:
Dr. Otter wrote:You have no idea how many times I've reflected on how prophetic C. M. Kornbluth was. He wrote The Marching Morons 61 years ago. That's before Sean Hannity and Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo. Newton Minow wouldn't declare television a vast wasteland for another 10 years.
Another piece of marvelous social prophecy In the guise of science fiction: Ray Bradbury's "The Murderer". Bradbury successfully predicted the constant-chatterhead "cellphone culture" at least fifty years before it arrived...

.. and knowing it was coming didn't help. It still drives me crazy. </grumpy-old-guy>
Then there's Clarke's story "I Remember Babylon" about the people inspired by the idea of geosynchronized satellite orbits, after Arthur had proposed them, to launch their own hardware for broadcasting salacious programming from above international waters. It was something he had realized would be a possible consequence of his theory, but he couldn't predict that the sats never needed to be that sneaky, or that the coming internet would be even more of a conduit for human nature.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Dr. Otter wrote:You have no idea how many times I've reflected on how prophetic C. M. Kornbluth was. He wrote The Marching Morons 61 years ago. That's before Sean Hannity and Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo.
Dr. Otter
Little Black Bag #674,101
You left out "Air America".
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.