You Guys 2012-11-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

You Guys 2012-11-16

Post by shadowinthelight »

Come to the forum, girls. Then you will know what pun-ishment is.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TlalocW

Re: You Guys 2012-11-16

Post by TlalocW »

Now that we know for certain Tsillah is part of the MIB, Euryale was right when she told Monica that some of them think M is the, "cat's p'jamas."

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/men-in-black/

TlalocW
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

It just occured to me* how fortunate it is, that Pratt & McBride - even in a state of panic - decided against attacking the darkness.

*yes, I'm that slow sometimes
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Interesting - promoted up out of harm's way.

Tsillah was wrong in one thing - in the MIB it is never too late to make a good first impression {flash!}

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I find myself wondering just how big Tsillah is?
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

New characters. New plot lines. More twists. There are just too many plots, characters and things going on that they (and we), are being short changed. I think we need to go to two, maybe three, strips per day for fair coverage.

All Pablo has to do is clone himself two or three times over and then install a quantum entangled, intercranial network to keep everything in synch.

[MerchManDan: Thanks for the heads up. I swear I looked for an earlier thread but shadowinthelight's wasn't there.]
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

MerchManDan wrote:It just occured to me* how fortunate it is, that Pratt & McBride - even in a state of panic - decided against attacking the darkness.

Please, no magic missiles.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Dave11 wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:It just occured to me* how fortunate it is, that Pratt & McBride - even in a state of panic - decided against attacking the darkness.

Please, no magic missiles.
ah a lightning bolt fan?

TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

davids4250 wrote:I find myself wondering just how big Tsillah is?
A shadow is as big as it needs to be. ;)
Julie

Post by Julie »

So it took me a while to actually read today's page. There was a banner ad that, in its garishly colorful way, was very distracting...
Distracting.jpg
Distracting.jpg (227.33 KiB) Viewed 13086 times
What?? I'm just as much a fan of nice posteriors as anyone else... :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
illiad

Post by illiad »

well you would have to be stoopid to hit a shadow! your fist just goes straight through and hits the wall!!! { ouch! } :O
any info on who CAN?? :D

of course you could just hit tsilly's 'projected' body, only for it to disappear!!!! :-D :-D
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:So it took me a while to actually read today's page. There was a banner ad that, in its garishly colorful way, was very distracting...
Distracting.jpg
Man! All I'm getting is ads for fantasy fiction e-books with gay leads... :(
(Seriously, I want to mail 'em and ask what I'm browsing that brings that up)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

davids4250 wrote:I find myself wondering just how big Tsillah is?
As big or little as she wants to be. Shadow does not have size or dimension. Kinda sounds like Outer Limits huh? All wer need is the bulrred vision to crystal slarity. Now we just hope Dick Van Dyke doesn't start singing chim-chim-cheree in the back ground. Though her daddy could arrange it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I love the mottled ground shadows in this strip's artwork. It reminds me of the way the sun's light fades out, and develops a strange set of distorted shadows during a solar eclipse (never saw a true total eclipse but have been through a couple which came quite close to totality).

So, we still don't know Tsillah's true age or maturity... but she claims a high rank in the MIB, and that's probably not the sort of position that would be given to a youngster. Despite her somewhat wonky preference in clothing for her "little goblin girl" persona, she does seem to have quite a sense of style in her shadow-weaving (today's strip, the flickering tree-branch shadows she "left behind" to conceal the vampires, Shelly and Justin's elegant shadow pseudoclothing). Those don't seem like the sort of esthetic touches that a being just barely out of childhood would have picked up yet. Will be interesting learn more about her backstory, and figure out how much of her tweenish manner is genuine and how much is an affectation. She does seem to have (or to embody) some serious mojo!

As to being short-changed by the daily pacing of the strip, what with all of the new characters, details, and plot twists... I think the phrase "embarrassment of riches" is closer to the mark. Pablo is observing an important performer's rule here... "always leave your audience wanting more!"

I think the ride is going to be a very interesting one!
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:So it took me a while to actually read today's page. There was a banner ad that, in its garishly colorful way, was very distracting...
Distracting.jpg
It's Project Wonderful. I've seen very few relevant ads.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

How soon before they drop by Tina's, and how will they appear to her in TinaVision (tm)?
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Distracting.jpg
Eh, I use Firefox and AdBlockPlus, so I never see 'em at all.

So, one final prank from their now ex-boss by setting them up to be freaked out by their new boss? Cute.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Dazzle camouflage for your lower body? Novel, to say the least. Is it helpful that people can't tell which way your legs are moving? 8-)
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Something about this arc makes me wonder: could Pablo be setting up for a "spinoff" strip here, featuring the two intrepid vampire cops in a generally comedic series of misadventures? It would make sense from several points of view. For one, it's a bit hard to see how Pratt and McBride fit into the mythologies whose collision with reality is what the Wapsi-verse is all about. For another, Wapsi Square itself has been a near-textbook example of Cerebus Syndrome -- which is by no means necessarily a bad thing (quite the contrary, many of my favorite webcomics have gone that way, not just this one), but it may feel a bit -- grim for someone who wants to write funny stuff.

One way or the other, I'm certainly enjoying the arc and the characters, and if there is indeed a spinoff, I'll follow it faithfully.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I don't know, Pratt and McBride are all about the collision of the supernatural and the mundane.
Consider, two vampires were working homicide/missing persons for the plain old FBI. Not "section six" or the super secret BPRD. Plain old homicide. What's more, their immediate supervisor knew what they were. Right before this reassignment they were working a serial killer case. Meatsnak was monster in his actions, but as far as we can tell, was just a normal human.

All this seems to imply that while the general populace is blissfully unaware of the truth, even lower levels of government knows about the supernatural.

I think what we may see is the gradual introduction of Monica and crew to the lower level supernaturals. M and Co are used to rubbing elbows with the heavy hitters in the Wapsiverse. Hell, they are heavy hitters in the Wapsiverse. Lily and Suzie, along with Tsilla, could be Monica's introduction to the lower end of the supernaturals.