From The Archive 2019-04-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: From The Archive 2019-04-22

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 am But - he hand-drew that "photo." Just saying.
Yeah. But he'd know what it ought look like.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

You all are thinking in terms of the history of human technology, not in terms of the history of paranormal technology.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Why would it specifically a paranormal that took the photo? And why would the photographer use a paranormal technology, assuming one even existed?

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

FreeFlier wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:13 am Why would it specifically a paranormal that took the photo? And why would the photographer use a paranormal technology, assuming one even existed?

--FreeFlier
It’s a god’s or a demigod’s house. I can imagine how they might look at human tech if they think they have or should have authority over humans because they are more powerful.

Aka you couldn’t pay them to pick up a piece of human tech with tweezers. That would be beneath them.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Looks like a human house to me . . . (I should recognize that architectural style.) and Barbara says her grandaunt sent her the picture, not that she took it or lives there. In fact, Barbara says that the house belongs to her cousin . . . not to a god or even a godling.

Okay, it has something strange going on, but so did Griffon School.

So why would it have to be a paranormal that took the photo? Katherine took photos of the rock paintings during her adventures with Atsali.

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:17 pm So why would it have to be a paranormal that took the photo? Katherine took photos of the rock paintings during her adventures with Atsali.
Who said that it had to be a paranormal?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:16 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:17 pmSo why would it have to be a paranormal that took the photo? Katherine took photos of the rock paintings during her adventures with Atsali.
Who said that it had to be a paranormal?
Well, if the paranormals have a superior image-capture technology, they're unlikely to allow a mere human to learn enough about it to use it effectively.

Nor would they allow images from that technology to be posted on the web . . . it might start mundanes asking inconvenient questions, much like we just did.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Or asking where exactly this building is located.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 pm Well, if the paranormals have a superior image-capture technology, they're unlikely to allow a mere human to learn enough about it to use it effectively.
Eh, we've already seen plenty of humans (and people who were originally thought to be humans) who are fully aware of paranormalness going on around them. Besides, several thousand years ago this sort of technology was part of normal human technology, so if the picture was from, say, 10060 BC then it could be done by a normal human!
FreeFlier wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 pmNor would they allow images from that technology to be posted on the web . . . it might start mundanes asking inconvenient questions, much like we just did.
"Hey, lookit this! Mom posted pics on Parabook! Here she's holding a drink with a lady faun!"
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 am
FreeFlier wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 pmNor would they allow images from that technology to be posted on the web . . . it might start mundanes asking inconvenient questions, much like we just did.
"Hey, lookit this! Mom posted pics on Parabook! Here she's holding a drink with a lady faun!"
That whole story arc, which ended on the page you linked, and which started here, was the one that had me the most impressed about Castela. Sure, she has a great and powerful power set, and sure, she can be loyal as can be, but this arc, in which she goes to the library to find out what happened to Atsali's parents, in order to be able to better help her sister cope with abandonment, was the one that had me marvel at her fortitude and determination. She wasn't going to take 'no' for an answer, and she was going to get to the bottom of this. Even as events were unfolding in the Q room, a room for which she did not understand the functioning, she tried to help and protect, only to find out that she was a helpless witness to past events. She did find out what happened, and she did find out that she and Atsali had been together for far longer than what she remembered, and that even back then, the two cared for each other. That whole arc was simply brilliant!

Extra, after the fact, feels-loaded scene, here...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 am
I suspect Parabook is part of an EXTREMELY well-protected Internet.

I am not entirely sure how it would be done. My first thought is it runs on a completely separate infrastructure.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:10 am
jwhouk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:25 am 50 years of forest growth around anything will be drastically different.
And
For example: the two trees in this Street VIew photo were saplings 50 years ago. (I should know.)
Oh, Joe, you can't fool us. Only one of those is a tree.

Google's automatic "anonymity and privacy" filter has blurred a small portion of the right-hand "tree". It's obviously concealing a face... and this means the "tree" is actually an ent.
Or there's a cat in the tree. Some court has ruled that pets have privacy rights and Google Maps has to blur them out of the Street View pictures. That's why there are so many blurred windows in Street View. Or maybe it was a squirrel in the witness protection program. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm I suspect Parabook is part of an EXTREMELY well-protected Internet.

I am not entirely sure how it would be done. My first thought is it runs on a completely separate infrastructure.
Probably on Bellisario.net/maxim.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:31 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm I suspect Parabook is part of an EXTREMELY well-protected Internet.

Probably on Bellisario.net/maxim.
From the guy who brought us JAG/NCIS & a Men's Magazine!