Worst Best Friend 2019-03-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Worst Best Friend 2019-03-25

Post by lake_wrangler »

I've seen both of those, which I had forgotten about. But the one that comes to my mind had the female character kneeling next to a table/desk top fan, the type with the 12" blades and buttons on the base of the fan. It was a monochrome drawing, in tones of brown, if I recall. I just wish I could remember which comic that was.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:39 pm
... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious Anger
those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers,
And you will know My name is the Lord
when I lay my BOLIDE upon thee...
Some research came out last year from a team investigating Tall el-Hammam, in Jordan... a Middle Bronze Age city that some researchers believe was Sodom. Seems that there is now evidence that el-Hammam, and all the communities near it in a 200 square mile area, were wiped out by a single event... a blast of heat sufficient to flash-melt the surface of pottery. It was hundreds of years before human inhabitants returned to the area and civilization resumed there.

The team suspects that a Tunguska-like airburst explosion over the northern Dead Sea did the damage... possibly following up with a tsunami of boiling brine to add in-salt to injury.

Even Daylla might have had a bad day, should she have been there.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I kinda figured it was some impact event, but it is REALLY interesting that we may have actually found the site of the destruction.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Warrl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:44 am
Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:41 pm So, confirmation that Castel wears polkadot boy shorts as underwear, and not the thong her sister wore at the same age because of her tail. Another web comic I read explicitly says sprouting a tail with granny panties on causes a "tail Wedgie" that varies from extremely uncomfortable to excruciatingly painful depending on the panties. :twisted: :ugeek:
Amusingly, there's discussion of tail wedgies in another webcomic I read (frequently NSFW)... and those ladies get it far worse than Atsali would.
We have similar tastes in reading materials. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

ziggy78eog wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:41 am This is probably the closest we will get to a, "panty shot", in Paul's comic. ;)
Oh, we've seen them involving most of the female characters already, even just counting the comic strips and not the drawings that are made to auction off. Off the top of my head, before this one there's already been Monica, Lakshmi, Shelly, Jacqui, Brandi, Bud, Jin, Conscience, Tina, Atsali, Castela, Georgette, one of Cricket's demons, and then that whole escapade with the Ghost Hunting Club and its chaperones running around the school. Castela's apparently been going with the polka-dots for a while.
Dave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:11 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:04 pm Her skin would just act as a faraday cage - electricity prefers to flow on the surface of objects. Her high conductovitybwould encourage that - if the surface has high resistance, THEN it starts looking at the interior for a path of least resistance. So that will keep the electricity away from her nervous system.

And her conductivity is exactly what makes her invulnerable to electricity in terms of physical damage - resistance makes heat, and the heat is what causes a lot of non-nerve-related damage.
True... but lightning carries a lot of energy, and it tends to flow everywhere - not only in the path of least resistance (although the amount of current flow through any area will be roughly proportional to the inverse of the resistance of that pathway). Lightning is quite capable of melting or exploding some fairly-heavy-gauge conductors... 30,000 Amperes will dissipate a lot of heat into even a small amount of resistance. Even a fraction of an ohm could be enough to cause enough heat dissipation to vaporize part of her skin, at least.

Older novels use to speak of an upset woman as having "the vapors". In Daylla's case, those vapors might be literal rather than metaphorical.
In Daylla's case, I'd think that thermal conductivity would be more of a regular problem than electrical conductivity. While we've no real hint as to her inner workings, it's likely that her body tissue wouldn't be able to insulate her very well. So unless she has some sort of extremely effective method of heating and cooling herself, she'd be unable to maintain homeostasis and would be in constant danger of overheating or chilling. That might do bad things to whatever sorts of metabolic processes go on within her, unless she had some remarkably robust or redundant chemical pathways.
GlytchMeister wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 am I kinda figured it was some impact event, but it is REALLY interesting that we may have actually found the site of the destruction.
While the findings are still only newly-released and so haven't really been gone over thoroughly yet, there does seem to be a fair bit of evidence for the theory: we've already firmly established that a large area with large cities was suddenly abandoned for six or seven centuries, the ruins of walls and the like seem to show that most were violently knocked over in the same direction, there's an unusual absence of intact pottery, the large abundance of broken pottery is mixed up violently with burnt debris and wreckage and seemingly strewn in debris fields stretching out in the same direction as the fallen walls, some of the pottery shards from just before the place was abandoned have crystals formed in them that indicate a brief exposure to very high temperatures, soil layers from the time period (and only that time period) have an extremely heavy amount of salt matching that found in the Dead Sea mixed in with them. So it's likely that something unpleasant and sudden happened.

Of course, the connection of the area with the cities in the Biblical story is heavily debated as well.
Opus the Poet wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:56 am
Warrl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:44 am Amusingly, there's discussion of tail wedgies in another webcomic I read (frequently NSFW)... and those ladies get it far worse than Atsali would.
We have similar tastes in reading materials. :ugeek:
You both have a strange fascination with tail wedgies?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:52 pm While the findings are still only newly-released and so haven't really been gone over thoroughly yet, there does seem to be a fair bit of evidence for the theory: we've already firmly established that a large area with large cities was suddenly abandoned for six or seven centuries, the ruins of walls and the like seem to show that most were violently knocked over in the same direction, there's an unusual absence of intact pottery, the large abundance of broken pottery is mixed up violently with burnt debris and wreckage and seemingly strewn in debris fields stretching out in the same direction as the fallen walls, some of the pottery shards from just before the place was abandoned have crystals formed in them that indicate a brief exposure to very high temperatures, soil layers from the time period (and only that time period) have an extremely heavy amount of salt matching that found in the Dead Sea mixed in with them. So it's likely that something unpleasant and sudden happened.
Last I heard, the short list of candidates was down to three:
  • A carbonaceous chondrite, at least 30 meters across.
  • The arrival of Smaug.
  • The development of a preindustrial marketplace economy, social discussion groups, flame wars, spamming (probably in the form of embossed pottery hurled through peoples' windows at night) and, in the end, the overly enthusiastic application of a primitive banhammer.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 pm Last I heard, the short list of candidates was down to three:
  • A carbonaceous chondrite, at least 30 meters across.
  • The arrival of Smaug.
  • The development of a preindustrial marketplace economy, social discussion groups, flame wars, spamming (probably in the form of embossed pottery hurled through peoples' windows at night) and, in the end, the overly enthusiastic application of a primitive banhammer.
Though Smaug getting into a flame-war in the comments section of an informative wall mural might have similar effects.