Not Here Now 2012-11-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jay-Em

Re: Not Here Now 2012-11-09

Post by Jay-Em »

Hmm.. I was also thinking "Tsillah", because those wings look a bit like made of dripping shadows, and since Tsillah can look like anything..
She also seems the type to love a little prank, a little halloween-scare.

Then again, this is still part of he flashback. If this happens around the time that Monica set Doubt on fire, and kicked her to the cellar (and she almost got adopted by Bud... :lol: ), then, yeah well. The Angel with dripping wings and eyes (imagine them in dark-red blood) sorta fits with Doubt's penchant towards dramatic looks, I have to admit. (and the black text-balloon is also doubt's hallmark, only thing missing is the "reverse-speak")

Well, we'll know by Monday, when Doubt (or Tsillah) will be presiding over two fainted vamps, wondering what to do with them.

Edit: It's doubt! Her "getting my hands on...etc" after the Vamps are wondering what's next, and starting to doubt themselves? It's a dead-giveaway.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:
davids4250 wrote:Hmmm, was anyone else thinking that the past week was a flashback of some sort? Or was that just me?
No time to look for it now, but yes, Paul has confirmed that the arc with Mr. Meatsnak and the eventual transfer of the two vampires is indeed a flashback.

Which kind of makes me wonder how this will be resolved, seeing as we already know that those two make it out of it safely, yet without Monica knowing who they are, later on... Unless we're back in the present, and that flashback was really recent...
That's how it appears to me. The un-flashback-tangled chronology would be: Suzie has her little snack; debrief with Da Chief; go to lockers and read transfer letters; go to where letters say; see Monica walking on street, complete with flames and demonic retinue; recognize her as the Demon Shepherd; run-in with Doubt; phone call (presumably with Da Chief); today's appearance of Dark Angel.
Jay-Em wrote:Hmm.. I was also thinking "Tsillah", because those wings look a bit like made of dripping shadows, and since Tsillah can look like anything.
That was my first thought, too. Darkness becomes her 8-)
Then again, this is still part of the flashback.
I'm not so sure of that... as lake_wrangler suggested, I think we've just flashforwarded to present time.

Otherwise... if this were still in the past... then Suzie and Lily's sudden surprised recognition of the Demon Shepherd and Suzie's desire to introduce herself wouldn't really make sense. They'd already have been clued in and warned off by today's encounter with She Who Drips Darkness From Her Wings.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Between Monica's and Jin's, it appears "Doubt" demons like to wander.

Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough to link this to an oft-used phrase about the emotion of doubt. "Unchecked Doubt spreads about" or something like that. Someone smarter than me here get on that, please. Don't worry, I'll cover the pun jar this time. (>^_^)>
donoho

Post by donoho »

sonicthunder wrote:Between Monica's and Jin's, it appears "Doubt" demons like to wander.

Unfortunately, I'm not clever enough to link this to an oft-used phrase about the emotion of doubt. "Unchecked Doubt spreads about" or something like that. Someone smarter than me here get on that, please. Don't worry, I'll cover the pun jar this time. (>^_^)>
Dedicated Doubt Demons do Due Diligence...
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Hmm, I doubt thats Doubt. Nor is that Tsilla. I'm going to try tossing a curve and say, except for the bloody wings, that kinda resembles Spider-girl Katherine. I now await the catcalls.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jay-Em wrote: Edit: It's doubt! Her "getting my hands on...etc" after the Vamps are wondering what's next, and starting to doubt themselves? It's a dead-giveaway.
Good catch!

Monica has sent Doubt (and her other demons) out on "errands" at times, so she might not even notice it if she wanders off. Of course, M might have her hands full with Tsillah at the moment, so Doubt's non-presence really might not be noticed.

I'd almost bet money that Monday we're going to see M talking to Tsillah instead of what's next for the Vamp Girls.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

My first thought was Tsillah...my second thought was Bia (who knows what form shifting abilities she has if she can make herself age with humans)...my third thought was Tina...I honestly don't think it's Doubt, but I'm not at all sure who this "angel" is. This could be good (assuming we don't hop somewhere else on Monday).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Hello, ladies. Meet your new boss.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I do not think this is Doubt, because of this. That clearly (to me anyway) was Doubt protecting M from the vamp girls -- Doubt manifests often as a gaunt, shriveled skeleton-ish being. Further, this new demon is likely a big D Demon vs the personalized demons that haunt/accompany the other characters in the Wapsiverse. Tina, demon collective as she is, also has the black wings, but her manifestations do not "speak" with that type of word balloon.

Therefore, this isn't Doubt. I do wonder, however, what sort of shenanigans are going on within the FBI to have these sort of connections, and to what purpose?!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Therefore, this isn't Doubt. I do wonder, however, what sort of shenanigans are going on within the FBI to have these sort of connections, and to what purpose?!
Possibly a political purpose? Spying on peaceful demonstrators, the way they did back in the Nixon era?

Clearly, the stakes are high!

(deposits a tri-tip steak, and some Trident gum in the Pun Jar)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:I do not think this is Doubt, because of this. That clearly (to me anyway) was Doubt protecting M from the vamp girls -- Doubt manifests often as a gaunt, shriveled skeleton-ish being. Further, this new demon is likely a big D Demon vs the personalized demons that haunt/accompany the other characters in the Wapsiverse. Tina, demon collective as she is, also has the black wings, but her manifestations do not "speak" with that type of word balloon.

Therefore, this isn't Doubt. I do wonder, however, what sort of shenanigans are going on within the FBI to have these sort of connections, and to what purpose?!
I don't know... Doubt has shown some more wholesome appearances in the past... (also look up pizza call...)

The way I see it, this could be one of a few situations (and I am sure there are more interpretations possible):

This is present day, after Monica walked between the two and Doubt made a mean, scary face :shock: , and Monica is now preoccupied with Tsillah, so Doubt decided to come back and deal with these "shity mosquitoes", as Phix so succinctly put it, who "dared" think they could try to talk to THE Jaguar Girl. This would imply that the flashback was quite recent, and a possible reason that they were on the sidewalk, talking was that they were talking about the transfer, when Monica went between them. In support of this, Pratt is wearing the same brace on the arm as before, which she was not in the office part of the flashback. However, while McBride seems to be sporting the same dark jacket and slightly lighter top, she is not wearing the necklace she had on before. Different episode, or slip of the pen? Only Paul knows...

On the other hand, this could still be part of the flashback. And somehow, Monica comes to their aid unknowingly, through some perhaps unrelated action on her part. This would explain why McBride went so fangirlish at the time, and would also possibly explain mean, scary-faced Doubt, because she would then resent the fact that she could not do anything to them with Monica there, and had been unwittingly prevented from acting earlier (i.e. in today's scene) by Monica, through some yet unshown action.

Discuss. :mrgreen:
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

jwhouk wrote:Uhm, wow. Doubt's a mean angel.
I doubt there's anyone meaner.

[I doubt I have to pay for these puns. But just in case, I'll drop Schrodinger's box into the jar, which may or may not contain a cat.]
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:

[I doubt I have to pay for these puns. But just in case, I'll drop Schrodinger's box into the jar, which may or may not contain a cat.]
Is the container with the (possible) cat the Box, or the Jar? Or is that indeterminate, until somebody looks? 8-)

(Hums "Mean Angel" to himself, and drops a gold-plated 45 RPM vinyl disk into the Pun Jar...)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

davids4250 wrote:Hmmm, was anyone else thinking that the past week was a flashback of some sort? Or was that just me?
Paul posted and confirmed it, i seem to recall.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
No time to look for it now, but yes, Paul has confirmed that the arc with Mr. Meatsnak and the eventual transfer of the two vampires is indeed a flashback.

Which kind of makes me wonder how this will be resolved, seeing as we already know that those two make it out of it safely, yet without Monica knowing who they are, later on... Unless we're back in the present, and that flashback was really recent...
Based on Suzie she-who-is-probably-not-Doubt's dialog, i'd say we're back in the present day.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Aleister Crow wrote:Hello, ladies. Meet your new boss.
Not the same as your old boss.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Aleister Crow wrote:Hello, ladies. Meet your new boss.
Now that's an interesting theory. This may be their new contact/supervisor. By "get my hands on ..." she means they work for her now. She may be the resident vampire "doubt."
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
bmonk wrote:

[1] Is the container with the (possible) cat the Box, or the Jar? [2] Or is that indeterminate, until somebody looks? 8-)

(Hums "Mean Angel" to himself, and drops a gold-plated 45 RPM vinyl disk into the Pun Jar...)
Answers: 1. Yes. 2. I doubt it.
jerbic041157

Post by jerbic041157 »

I believe it's present day as their clothes are the same as the November 1st comic. I think this is just before the flashback sequence.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Okay, first impression of the liquid wings was back to here. And if I remember correctly the goo at the bottom was 'badness' that Tina was removing from Monica's life. Probably metaphoric, but I had an immediate association of the bad goo with the wings...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous