Breathe 2019-03-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Breathe 2019-03-04

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Drakkenmensch

Re: Breathe 2019-03-04

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Kate's expression on panel two pretty much says it all about how thrilled she is that her sweet little flower has found a girlfriend!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

That comic title has me flash-backing to 'Grey's Anatomy's Musical episode (*spoilers redacted*) where Lil' Grey sang 'Breathe' ...

(Not directly related whatsoever, other than the same word...)

btw; the actor ((Chyler Leigh, (currently as an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D, er, I mean on 'Supergirl') can really sing, but you might not be able to tell from that particular rendition...

That, and a PS, to boot: If you haven't seen that episode; 7th Season-18th Ep, (whole arc really) I suggest you catch it from the episode right before (#17), if not further back, and watch at the end where Callie (played by Sara Ramirez) blows the doors off of "The Story" by Brandi Carlile.

Lastly, Castela sure is on the way...
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

She word-exploded!

Cause it's TMI It's dynamite
TMI It's out of sight
TMI It's a power load
TMI Watch her explode
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Drakkenmensch wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 pm Kate's expression on panel two pretty much says it all about how thrilled she is that her sweet little flower has found a girlfriend!
Not my take:
bsoky.jpg
bsoky.jpg (195.22 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
bsok.jpg
bsok.jpg (73.11 KiB) Viewed 11054 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Best to stay out of the kids love life
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

By the way: Red Cow is a chain of gourmet burger restaurants in the Twin Cities. Not surprisingly, there is one located in the Uptown area of Minneapolis. The general menu is similar to that of national chain Red Robin, but with local flavor. They don't have Jucy Lucy's, but they do have Poutine on the menu. So there's that.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

"I AM breathing! In fact, I may be hyper-ventilating..."

(I'm wondering how this worked. It's after dinner and Kath went over to Bryn's? She made an excuse to Castela, zipped to the warp gate, and vooped to Bryn's? Bryn was waiting outside? It's an odd meeting...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

There's a couple burger joints in the Little Rock/North Little Rock area called the Purple Cow. Not sure how big the chain is, though.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

eee wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:20 am "I AM breathing! In fact, I may be hyper-ventilating..."

(I'm wondering how this worked. It's after dinner and Kath went over to Bryn's? She made an excuse to Castela, zipped to the warp gate, and vooped to Bryn's? Bryn was waiting outside? It's an odd meeting...)
I figured she was there. That "breathe" sounds like a response to Katherine's immediate response to Pickle's announcement.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

jeffepp wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:31 pm She word-exploded!

Cause it's TMI It's dynamite
TMI It's out of sight
TMI It's a power load
TMI Watch her explode
...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...oi..oi...oi...oi...oi...oi...

All the same, I still wanted Shawna to be present, for this particular bombshell, but I guess she is with her own Parent(s), dropping her own bombshell. Hopefully they will be just as accepting.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

On the plus side, Katherine probably doesn't have to worry too much about her daughter getting pregnant out of this. Though given how little we know of both pixies and Whatsits, that's perhaps not a guarantee.

If this relationship lasts for long enough, I'm wondering what will happen when Shawna graduates from high school and heads away to college or a career, while Castela is still slogging through the final years of high school. Atsali seems to have made things work with the being at a distance from Nadette, but that's no certainty for her sister.
AnotherFairportfan

eee wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:20 am "I AM breathing! In fact, I may be hyper-ventilating..."

Well, in defence of my belief that Bryn and Katherine have just walked in {Katherine's "Hey Sweetie! I'm home!}, the background of all three panels looks like the Gilchrist home in the converted industrial building.
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pmIf this relationship lasts for long enough, I'm wondering what will happen when Shawna graduates from high school and heads away to college or a career, while Castela is still slogging through the final years of high school. Atsali seems to have made things work with the being at a distance from Nadette, but that's no certainty for her sister.
Well, there's "Castela Age 17" and Castela Age 21"...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Well, in defence of my belief that Bryn and Katherine have just walked in {Katherine's "Hey Sweetie! I'm home!}, the background of all three panels looks like the Gilchrist home in the converted industrial building.
The location tag agrees with your assessment of their location. I'm wondering about the relationship with Bryn now that she seems to come home with Kath. How long-term is this relationship becoming? Castel was still in elementary school when they first ran into each other, now she's a Sophomore in HS and dating a Senior, so minimum of 4 years and counting. For this comic that length of relationship minus a marriage is unusual. But it also seems that this relationship is limited to only weekend overnights, because otherwise Kath would have announced a plural first person arrival instead of a singular.

And that just caused me to wonder how many times Monica has "reset" back to 29 since we started time skipping around. I was reminded about this because my Shadowrun character has a curse of "Never Stay Dead" in game and I have woken up in a coffin or getting hit in the face by dirt three times now. Last time I covered with a Monty Python joke about pining for the fjords to explain how I seemed dead but not really. This ability is not supposed to be widely known but there are rumors about my character taking what should have been fatal damage and only getting knocked unconscious, because the rest of the party dragged me off and I showed back up a few days later nursing injuries but obviously still alive. Game mechanics wise this works by giving me unlimited overflow for damage, and it gives me opportunity for lots of roleplay with other players and NPC. How this functions as a curse is getting killed hurts, and that is a pain that I will have to experience many times until the heat death of the universe or the sun turns into a red giant and swallows the earth.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Thor

Post by Thor »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm Well, there's "Castela Age 17" and Castela Age 21"...
I'm wondering if these are what is actually going to happen, or if the author is going to go in a different direction. Like as if that is what he intended the future to be like then, but on his way to the future, things went in other directions.

That's the nice thing about webcomics, actually. If you change your mind, it is very easy to retcon. And twice as easy if the "canon" never actually appeared as a daily strip.

Pickle turning into a Bitter Angst Monster in the next two years seems more and more unlikely, given the very mild turbulence in her teens so far, and the stable, accepting, and expanding support network that she has accumulated between when those pieces were published and now.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 pm I'm wondering about the relationship with Bryn now that she seems to come home with Kath. How long-term is this relationship becoming? Castel was still in elementary school when they first ran into each other, now she's a Sophomore in HS and dating a Senior, so minimum of 4 years and counting.
If you haven't noticed, Wapsi Time is a little more malleable than real time. Remember when Atsali went to ask Jacob out on that day during Winter Break? They were going to meet at one o'clock the next day. So on the next day during Spring Break, Jacob calls up to cancel and Atsali invites Nadette over to talk about it. That's Wapsi Time...canonically four months later and the next day, simultaneously.

With that in mind, it's safe to say that for the last five years, Kath and Bryn have been a couple for only a couple of months.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(you just gotta squint a little bit...)