One at a Time 2019-02-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

One at a Time 2019-02-27

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Thor

Re: One at a Time 2019-02-27

Post by Thor »

The idea that Pickle needs anyone to act as a "guardian" is hilarious. The only harm they might be able to guard her from is hurt feelings.

It reminds me of in the comic books seeing the Justice League go flying around in WW's invisible jet, and there's Superman in his seat, safely strapped in with a seatbelt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Can you imagine the fangirl overload at finding out your crush was related to an apex Para-celebrity like the Jaguar Girl? :o
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Thor wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am The idea that Pickle needs anyone to act as a "guardian" is hilarious. The only harm they might be able to guard her from is hurt feelings.

It reminds me of in the comic books seeing the Justice League go flying around in WW's invisible jet, and there's Superman in his seat, safely strapped in with a seatbelt.
To be fair, she is a teen, and guardians are not only there to protect her from physical threats, and as you said the emotional ones (Or at least to help her cope and deal with them in a healthy manner), but also to try to protect her from her own youthfully-poor decision making paradigm - from herself, essentially. They are her Responsible AdultsTM. And yeah, sure, they aren’t perfect, but I’d bet my ass hers are better than what most people have.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am The idea that Pickle needs anyone to act as a "guardian" is hilarious. The only harm they might be able to guard her from is hurt feelings.
She may be using the word "guardian" in its technical/legal sense... an adult who is acting "in loco parentis" to a minor child, but is not the child's biological or adoptive parent.

"Elders of sage advice and bearers of mature wisdom, who are not my family but yet look upon me as a favored child, who help me reach new understanding as I become ready for it and occasionally guide me away from doing something stupid" takes a bit to long too say, if you have to say it frequently.
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

Yes, yes, Pickle, Monica, Bud, and Shelly, are all going to be awesome introductions, but do not forget your Mother. I do believe that Moms are fairly high up in the, "introducing your BF/GF to the Family" hierarchy.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Which one?

Katherine, or Castela Zed-One?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

On re-reading the comic, it raises the question of is it better to blow minds all at once, or little pieces at a time? Because any way you look at it Shawna's mind is going to get blown when she gets exposed to Castel's adult social circle of "Aunts". :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

The introduction to them all at once could be enough to induce heart failure in many people
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Aunt List:
  • Shelly
  • Monica
  • Jin
  • Bud
  • Brandi
  • Euryale*
  • Stheno*
  • Suzi
  • Nadette (yes, if you think about it)
  • Berdine
Parental List:
  • Katherine
  • Bryn (!)
  • Phix ("Tanta")
  • Castela Zed-One (!!!)
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Rather than protecting Castela from the physical threats of the world, they might be helping to guard the world from Castela's potential. She's expressed plenty of concern and angst over having been cobbled together to be a living weapon, and having a bunch of strong people help guide her along a less destructive path is probably a good thing for everybody.

Plus there's all the "legal guardian" thing that's already been mentioned, and the benefit of people with adult perspective.
Opus the Poet wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:13 am
Can you imagine the fangirl overload at finding out your crush was related to an apex Para-celebrity like the Jaguar Girl? :o
Or maybe she'll not really be all that excited and impressed. Whether that would impress Castela even more is up for debate.
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

jwhouk wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 am Which one?

Katherine, or Castela Zed-One?
Ya, rereading those strips a couple of times, I would describe Castela Zed-One as a , "Parent". But as for Bryn and Phix, as jwhouk suggests, I am not so sure. Since it is "Tanta Phix", and Tanta is (allegedly, from my Google search) German for "grandmother", I wonder if Castela sees her as more of a Grandparent, rather than a Parent; I know it hair-splitting, but I just do not see the two as being the same. As for Bryn, that is up in the air; she can be a Parent to Cas, if she and Katherine decide to take their relationship in that direction. Right now, to Castela, Bryn is most likely a, "person my Mom is dating", and that is not the same as a Parent.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Bryn is also "my school's principal," which could get awkward fast.