Just Glowing 2019-02-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Just Glowing 2019-02-25

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:59 pm Seems to me that i kinda recall that Castela and Scarlet were kind of blindsided when she showed up...
She was a couple of years ahead of them, would that make much difference?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:22 pm
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:59 pm Seems to me that i kinda recall that Castela and Scarlet were kind of blindsided when she showed up...
Yes - that would typically mean that - IN GENERAL - she would be more up on the locals than Castela.

And Tina is one of the more known locals. I mean, yeah, the Jaguar Girl is a celebrity, but most sane people would hope to never meet her in her professional capacity. They eagerly pay for Tina's professional services.

So, again, we're back to "maybe she's new to the area?"
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Wasn't it also mentioned that students use the library's portal network to get to the school? If that's the case, then she could live hundreds of miles away from Tina's coffee shop.

As for Castela's hand, it looks to me like her elbow is bent and her hand is higher up against Shawna's back, so maybe this is a puppet of Shawna.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Thor

Post by Thor »

GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:07 am Well... it takes 2-3 tablespoons to start to trip, according to most sites I glanced at. 1 at the least.
Minimum dosage of nutmeg that can cause psychogenic effect is 5 g (ground nutmeg).

And Google tells me that 2 teaspoons of nutmeg is about 4.75g.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Thor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:54 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:07 am Well... it takes 2-3 tablespoons to start to trip, according to most sites I glanced at. 1 at the least.
Minimum dosage of nutmeg that can cause psychogenic effect is 5 g (ground nutmeg).

Huh. Ok. I was only doing a cursory search, so I might have had a bad source.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Could also be a difference in subject susceptibility . . . some people get the hallucinations from a lower dose. And it should also be affected by body weight . . . lower weight requires less nutmeg for hallucinations.
Warrl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm
Catawampus wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:22 pm
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:59 pmSeems to me that i kinda recall that Castela and Scarlet were kind of blindsided when she showed up...
Yes - that would typically mean that - IN GENERAL - she would be more up on the locals than Castela.

And Tina is one of the more known locals. I mean, yeah, the Jaguar Girl is a celebrity, but most sane people would hope to never meet her in her professional capacity. They eagerly pay for Tina's professional services.

So, again, we're back to "maybe she's new to the area?"
OTOH, Shawna apparently doesn't drink coffee, so why would she know about a barista? It's not like she's going to expect to use Tina's professional services . . . any more than I would.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

She's never visited a very popular teen hang-out spot that parents will actually not object to?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

How do we know that they won't object?

It could be that coffee makes pixies drunk, and nobody want their darling daughter getting into underage drinking.

More likely, she didn't know there was anything special about Mucho Mocha, so she didn't go.

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:41 pm She's never visited a very popular teen hang-out spot that parents will actually not object to?
...to be fair, I never did... unless I was under duress from family to “socialize with my peers” when I’d rather read a book. And that “hangout” was invariably a football game.

And even then, I ended up smuggling a book in with me anyway and sat in a corner of the concession building where it was warm and not windy.

Maybe she’s not all that introverted, but maybe she’s not exactly extroverted enough to go to a coffee shop for no reason.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Okay but am I the only one who finds Cass to be somehow cuter then ever in that third panel?
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:18 pm
Thor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Huh. Ok. I was only doing a cursory search, so I might have had a bad source.
Apparently if you eat a WHOLE nutmeg you will go into something called "Nutmeg Psychosis" and more then likely die.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

FreeFlier wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 am How do we know that they won't object?

It could be that coffee makes pixies drunk, and nobody want their darling daughter getting into underage drinking.

More likely, she didn't know there was anything special about Mucho Mocha, so she didn't go.

--FreeFlier
I hear that coffee affects spiders the way alcohol affects humans, so if that ever came to the attention of the artist, there might be an interesting scene where Digit goes to Tina's shop.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 am I hear that coffee affects spiders the way alcohol affects humans, so if that ever came to the attention of the artist, there might be an interesting scene where Digit goes to Tina's shop.
♪ What will we do with a drunken spider,
what will we do with a drunken spider,
what will we do with a drunken spider,
early in the morning? ♪

(The answer is probably not "Make her eat her own Yankee pot-roast" but around here one can never be quite certain...)
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

FreeFlier wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:03 am How do we know that they won't object?

--FreeFlier
Shawna: "Mom? Can I have some steamed milk with nutmeg?"
Shawn's Mother: "Of course dear, I know it's your favorite."

Shawna: "Mooooooooooom! Can I have some Oolong Tea?"
Shawna's Mother: "Absolutely not! Not under my roof, young lady!"
Shawna: "But all the other Paras are..."
Shawna's Mother: "I said no!"
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"Err-lyy in the morn'n..." &

I'd think Pu'Erh instead, after all, it's 'fermented'...
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Thor wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:13 am So take the Man's word to heart, and Don't do the Nutmeg Challenge, kids!
Youtube's last insane challenge was eating toxic Tide pods, so I don't follow ANY of their eating challenges in order to not die horribly.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

re: Tina, don't ferget this semi-recent entry:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/big-sis-stheno/ , and the next two/three days...

And following right behind those- Atsali receives Nadette's Confession. <dat-da-Duummmmm!>