In Your Lockers 2012-11-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Aleister Crow

Re: In Your Lockers 2012-11-08

Post by Aleister Crow »

Julie wrote:
Aleister Crow wrote:
Julie wrote:This thread is well and truly derailed. :) Oh well. It's amusing.

I understand Pratt's frustration at being "punished" alongside the individual who actually F'ed up, but why is she so indignant? After all, this reassignment could be a better job than the one she's had. Why assume that it's going to suck?

Because she's being transferred after her partner royally f'd up. You'd have to be dangerously optimistic to expect your "punishment" to be a step up.
But assuming that the transfer is "punishment" is still an assumption. *shrugs* I'm just of the opinion that it's best to assume nothing in this comic. :P Another possiblity is that the "debriefing" was their punishment (or there could have been more punishment in store were they not being reassigned), and this reassignment was pending prior to the McBride-screw-up. It's not the most likely of scenarios...true, but it is a possiblity. :)
I'm not assuming it's punishment, Lily is. From her point of view, there's no reason to expect anything else. The killer was slaughtered by her partner, and it was pure luck that the last girl was found alive. You don't generally get rewarded for that kind of mess-up.

As for "assume nothing in this comic", I absolutely agree. Lily needs to read the archives so she knows what she's getting into. ;)
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Aleister Crow wrote:Lily needs to read the archives so she knows what she's getting into. ;)
Now there's a fourth-wall meta-disaster just waiting to happen!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

Aleister Crow wrote:
Julie wrote:But assuming that the transfer is "punishment" is still an assumption. *shrugs* I'm just of the opinion that it's best to assume nothing in this comic. :P Another possiblity is that the "debriefing" was their punishment (or there could have been more punishment in store were they not being reassigned), and this reassignment was pending prior to the McBride-screw-up. It's not the most likely of scenarios...true, but it is a possiblity. :)
I'm not assuming it's punishment, Lily is. From her point of view, there's no reason to expect anything else. The killer was slaughtered by her partner, and it was pure luck that the last girl was found alive. You don't generally get rewarded for that kind of mess-up.

As for "assume nothing in this comic", I absolutely agree. Lily needs to read the archives so she knows what she's getting into. ;)
Truth!
Atomic wrote:
Aleister Crow wrote:Lily needs to read the archives so she knows what she's getting into. ;)
More truth!! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

If Phix's library is as complete as she claims, there could be six or seven volumes of 'Wapsi Square' by now...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, we actually are up to six volumes now.
  • Wapsi Square 2001-2004
  • The Demons In My Back Pocket
  • The Timekeeper's Daughter
  • In The Shadow Of Doubt
  • Letting The Dust Settle
  • Visits To A Sandbar
And of course, there's also Monica In The Rough (Pablo's sketchbook).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Doh! I'm running behind one...gotta order it...
(reference avatar)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And, for those wondering where to order the books: Lulu.com
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Atomic wrote:
MY burning curiosity question is JUST EXACTLY how DO all of these people (like these two and Tsillah, etc) get knowledge of stuff about Monica and gang when there hasn't been anything published about them for anybody to even read about in The Library in the first place... how did Suzie "know" that M was "the demon shepherd, she can walk between the land of the dead and the demon realm, and wield astral fire..." MONICA didn't even know that she was immortal until a couple of pages prior... so what's this "wield astral fire" talk about? that sounds more like a weapon, or self defense mechanism rather than the brief uncontrolled flare-up we saw of it when M had her out of body experience... WHO is giving out this info? HOW did those two get it? how ACCURATE IS that info?... inquiring minds want to know...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

scantrontb wrote:MY burning curiosity question is JUST EXACTLY how DO all of these people (like these two and Tsillah, etc) get knowledge of stuff about Monica and gang when there hasn't been anything published about them for anybody to even read about in The Library in the first place... how did Suzie "know" that M was "the demon shepherd, she can walk between the land of the dead and the demon realm, and wield astral fire..." MONICA didn't even know that she was immortal until a couple of pages prior... so what's this "wield astral fire" talk about? that sounds more like a weapon, or self defense mechanism rather than the brief uncontrolled flare-up we saw of it when M had her out of body experience... WHO is giving out this info? HOW did those two get it? how ACCURATE IS that info?... inquiring minds want to know...
Same place as Shelly did. Look where Shelly told M about her Supernatural powers http://wapsisquare.com/comic/jaguar-girl/ , compared to when M found out personally http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nice-and-tan/

As far as the 5 W's are concerned, we don't know Who yet, What is apparent, we'll find out Where the same time we find out Who, When seems to be sometime in the recent past, Why seems to be so that all the established Supernaturals know what's up and who is "safe" and who is "dangerous", and How is probably the same way the Library always gets the latest printed materials.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Am I the only one who, when he reads this...
Atomic wrote:And, for those wondering where to order the books: Lulu.com
Thinks this?
Little Lulu Press.png
Little Lulu Press.png (141.47 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Not at all, Jabber; I read Little Lulu when I was just a wee lad.* Though most often, it was Archie and related comix (Lil' Jinx, Richie Rich, etc).

*kudos for the clever editing, by the way
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I personally never read Little Lulu (though I knew who she was, I think)... but I can't help but be impressed by how well-read they are, according to the above image... :)
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Jabberwonky wrote:If Phix's library is as complete as she claims, there could be six or seven volumes of 'Wapsi Square' by now...
Only if the Bibliothiki is pandimensional (and connected to L-Space). If it's locked to the "reality" that Monica and the gang occupy (and its attendant sub-realities), it wouldn't have books from our world.

If it does, the meta possibilities are staggering, and possibly devastating.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, it would explain why everyone else seems to know so much about Monica and Shelley....
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:Well, we actually are up to six volumes now.
  • Wapsi Square 2001-2004
  • The Demons In My Back Pocket
  • The Timekeeper's Daughter
  • In The Shadow Of Doubt
  • Letting The Dust Settle
  • Visits To A Sandbar
And of course, there's also Monica In The Rough (Pablo's sketchbook).
I am so far behind on my hard copy collection of Wapsi... :(
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I've only got the last two as digital copies.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave11 wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:If Phix's library is as complete as she claims, there could be six or seven volumes of 'Wapsi Square' by now...
Only if the Bibliothiki is pandimensional (and connected to L-Space). If it's locked to the "reality" that Monica and the gang occupy (and its attendant sub-realities), it wouldn't have books from our world.

ah, dave11... the A R C H I V E S are calling you!!!! :D :D

or MUCH BETTER! send lots of cash to pablo for his wonderful books!!! :)
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

illiad wrote:
Dave11 wrote:

ah, dave11... the A R C H I V E S are calling you!!!! :D :D

or MUCH BETTER! send lots of cash to pablo for his wonderful books!!! :)
Obviously, I've forgotten something from my last archive crawl. Sadly, I don't have time for another right now. Link please?
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave11: sorry, but searching for stuff is not that easy now, due to no forum text!! :roll: there are others here who have a *much* bigger knowledge and ability that lil' me... :oops:

first is easy.. books! :mrgreen: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/pablowapsi

outside the library.. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/squeee-2/

the link in the 'chronology' thread has a lot... maybe this and the following says something... http://wapsisquare.com/comic/trickster/

The Library is in a sentient dimension separate from Earth that collects all written material - put magic together with all the written material that was and ever will be, and something has to happen... :)

I think it was most likely the Pratchett fans in the forum, that started the thought about the 'back story', etc...
You have read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(world) ???

Its the main basis for this theory.. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-space#L-space
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

illiad wrote:Dave11: sorry, but searching for stuff is not that easy now, due to no forum text!! :roll: there are others here who have a *much* bigger knowledge and ability that lil' me... :oops:

first is easy.. books! :mrgreen: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/pablowapsi

outside the library.. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/squeee-2/

the link in the 'chronology' thread has a lot... maybe this and the following says something... http://wapsisquare.com/comic/trickster/

The Library is in a sentient dimension separate from Earth that collects all written material - put magic together with all the written material that was and ever will be, and something has to happen... :)

I think it was most likely the Pratchett fans in the forum, that started the thought about the 'back story', etc...
You have read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_(world) ???

Its the main basis for this theory.. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-space#L-space
or refer to the ultimate source :
lspace FAQ
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde