In Your Lockers 2012-11-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Aleister Crow

Re: In Your Lockers 2012-11-08

Post by Aleister Crow »

Julie wrote:This thread is well and truly derailed. :) Oh well. It's amusing.

I understand Pratt's frustration at being "punished" alongside the individual who actually F'ed up, but why is she so indignant? After all, this reassignment could be a better job than the one she's had. Why assume that it's going to suck?

Because she's being transferred after her partner royally f'd up. You'd have to be dangerously optimistic to expect your "punishment" to be a step up.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Just wait until he meets the new kids to his department: a Busty Were-dragon, and the reincarnation of St George.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Aleister Crow wrote:

I understand Pratt's frustration at being "punished" alongside the individual who actually F'ed up, but why is she so indignant? After all, this reassignment could be a better job than the one she's had. Why assume that it's going to suck?

Because she's being transferred after her partner royally f'd up. You'd have to be dangerously optimistic to expect your "punishment" to be a step up.
That, and Pratt may like working homicide/missing persons. A transfer would likely take her away from that. Granted, we don't know much about her beyond what we've seen, but in the scene where McBride eats the suspect, Lily is exuding proffesionalism.

Suzie, not so much.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Well, if "the reward for a job well done is another job" (presumably even harder and more of a hot potato) ... what's the "reward" for an Italian pit stop like their last assignment turned into likely to be?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:

Well, if "the reward for a job well done is another job" (presumably even harder and more of a hot potato) ... what's the "reward" for an Italian pit stop like their last assignment turned into likely to be?
Often in cases like this it's professional exile, into some unimportant out-of-the-way job and post where the incompetent can't really do much harm.

Dog-catcher. Parking detail. Taking inventory of office supplies, and sorting expense vouchers. Counting trees on Baffin Island. KP Officer. Those sorts of things.

Boredom factor, high. Self-respect, low. Opportunity for career advancement, negligible.

Pratt may be indignant because she knows The System well enough to see that her future has just turned into fewmets.
Skywatcher68

Post by Skywatcher68 »

Let me guess, tomorrow will leave them at their lockers and Monday we'll find out which office they report to now.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Since they are vamps it might be their lockers are where they sleep at night you know. So they crash for the night and get shipped to their new assignment via same day packaging. Save on transportation costs and I don't even want to think about their in-flight meal requirements.

First class passangers are not allowed to pray on economy class.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

zach, you might mean "prey." ;)
Fairportfan wrote:what's the "reward" for an Italian pit stop like their last assignment turned into likely to be?
"Italian pit stop?" That's a new one. :D
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Fairportfan wrote: what's the "reward" for an Italian pit stop like their last assignment turned into likely to be?
I take it you haven't been watching the Ferrari team in F1 this year. All 4 tires and a new nose in under 4 seconds.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Lily is one starved-looking Vampire in that last panel. Just sayin'.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Well, if "the reward for a job well done is another job" (presumably even harder and more of a hot potato) ... what's the "reward" for an Italian pit stop like their last assignment turned into likely to be?
Often in cases like this it's professional exile [...]
Counting trees on Baffin Island. [...]
Boredom factor, high. Self-respect, low. Opportunity for career advancement, negligible.
Hey hey! Do we have another Canadian in our midst? (Who else would even think that one up?)
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:Hey hey! Do we have another Canadian in our midst? (Who else would even think that one up?)
Sorry, no - just a moderately well-read Californian. The idea of career exile to Baffin Island is one I can recall from a story I read some years ago. Also, "counting trees" was a Soviet-era threat... if you were exiled to a Siberian gulag, that's all you would have available to do to pass the time, or so the story went.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

zachariah wrote:Since they are vamps it might be their lockers are where they sleep at night you know. So they crash for the night and get shipped to their new assignment via same day packaging. Save on transportation costs and I don't even want to think about their in-flight meal requirements.

Heh. Someone reads Kevin and Kell. Probably the the only furry comic to deal with carnivore confusion in universe.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Boxilar wrote:
zachariah wrote:Since they are vamps it might be their lockers are where they sleep at night you know. So they crash for the night and get shipped to their new assignment via same day packaging. Save on transportation costs and I don't even want to think about their in-flight meal requirements.

Heh. Someone reads Kevin and Kell. Probably the the only furry comic to deal with carnivore confusion in universe.
'Doc Rat' does a good job of it as well. Both are good reads though.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Mark N wrote:
Boxilar wrote:

'Doc Rat' does a good job of it as well. Both are good reads though.
I didn't know about Doc Rat. I'll have to check it out. It does bring up the ethical/moral question of what cannibalism is when pretty much everybody, predator and prey alike, are sentient. In Kevin and Kell, eating someone you know is considered a social gaffe, but pretty much anyone else is on the table.

(Throws well knawed femur into the pun jar.)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: what's the "reward" for an Italian pit stop like their last assignment turned into likely to be?
I take it you haven't been watching the Ferrari team in F1 this year. All 4 tires and a new nose in under 4 seconds.
The Italian pit stop i saw at the Tartan Florio in 1971 was, shall we say, nothing like that.

I mean, i keep an "Italian pit stop" handy right alongside the eleven-foot Hungarian for when the usual similes are just not enough...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Tartan Florio?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm unfamiliar with that tartan...what colors are in it?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Tartan Florio?
Aaarrrgh! Damned auto-correct on Android Gingerbread!

Since i knew i typed "Targa Florio" correctly, i didn't verify that it stayed that way.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Aleister Crow wrote:

But assuming that the transfer is "punishment" is still an assumption. *shrugs* I'm just of the opinion that it's best to assume nothing in this comic. :P Another possiblity is that the "debriefing" was their punishment (or there could have been more punishment in store were they not being reassigned), and this reassignment was pending prior to the McBride-screw-up. It's not the most likely of scenarios...true, but it is a possiblity. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."