Covered 2019-02-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TazManiac

Re: Covered 2019-02-10

Post by TazManiac »

FP, I'm still here because I am enjoying it.

I'm concerned about being tamped down if the subject comes up about 'Monica & Georgette', then Atsali & a Shape Changing Bear Twin, then Katherine & her paramour (I'm admittedly having trouble w/ correct spelling and have not dug them up in the interest of plowing ahead, mea culpa), and now Castela and Shawna.

notthatheresanythingwrongwiththat

But watch out!, Third Rail!

It's gotten to the point where I'm not even talking about it anymore and now I'm talking about talking about it. Thats the Brussel Sprouts in my scenario. I'm not grumpy because of the subject. I'm grumpy because the subject is radioactive.

edit- a PS: I went back to the 1st page of this thread and re-read my way back up, I suggest everyone do that for themselves. That said...
I'm having fun right now tracking down all the references.
Post PS: I like Brussel Sprouts, both Literal and Figurative.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Hey, Glytch, before you get too into accusing us of sexism, none of us said there was anything wrong with the comic focusing on women. It's always been that way. What we repeatedly say is that we're just getting tired of how the main characters are continuously being written to be lesbians.

Also, I see you brought up the wage gap thing, and I'm guessing you aren't aware of the fact that reason that gap exists at all is because women are far more likely than men to work less than forty hours a week, while men are far more likely to work more than forty. There's also the career choices that people are making, along with the fact that men are also more likely to work the jobs that give them hazard pay (more than 90% of workplace deaths are men, by the way.) Please stop white knighting when nobody is actually attacking women.
Last edited by Alkarii on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yeah.

My mother was the top copywriter at the agency she worked at, and their top radio-TV producer, AND came up with one or two campaigns you might remember fifty-sixty years later {"Pet - you bet!"} AND worked more unpaid overtime than anyone else.

And still made noticeably less than males in similar positions who did less than she did.

When that statistic is quoted honestly, it refers to women making less for the exact same job than a man, all other things being equal.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:16 pm Yeah.

My mother was the top copywriter at the agency she worked at, and their top radio-TV producer, AND came up with one or two campaigns you might remember fifty-sixty years later {"Pet - you bet!"} AND worked more unpaid overtime than anyone else.

And still made noticeably less than males in similar positions who did less than she did.

When that statistic is quoted honestly, it refers to women making less for the exact same job than a man, all other things being equal.

Was that before or after the Equal Pay Act?

EDIT: Equal Pay Act of 1963
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:17 pm Hey, Glytch, before you get too into accusing us of sexism, none of us said there was anything wrong with the comic focusing on women. It's always been that way. What we repeatedly say is that we're just getting tired of how the main characters are continuously being written to be lesbians.

Also, I see you brought up the wage gap thing, and I'm guessing you aren't aware of the fact that reason that gap exists at all is because women are far more likely than men to work less than forty hours a week, while men are far more likely to work more than forty. There's also the career choices that people are making, along with the fact that men are also more likely to work the jobs that give them hazard pay (more than 90% of workplace deaths are men, by the way.) Please stop white knighting when nobody is actually attacking women.
Akeche wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:17 am
Thor wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 am
Akeche wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 am
I've sort of resigned that Paul has made it clear, male main characters don't have a place in the comic and are at best a springboard for the same-sex relationships for the girls/ladies in the comic.
You make that sound like that's something other than the very best thing we all know it to be. :mrgreen:
It kind of stops being such when it's happened two, possibly three times already.

And no, male characters having no real place in the story is not a good thing. Whatsoever. There is a reason that a running joke about male characters being put on the bus exists, after all. The comic has always had a focus on women, but as its progressed it almost seems like men are either hand-waved away and not even in the background. Or worse, their only appearances are as foils or "villains".
You wanna run that by me again, son?

Goalposts shouldn’t move. You are picking yours up and sprinting clear off the field.

Women are more educated and have more participation in the labor force than before, but the wage gap persists due (in part) to: occupational segregation - male-dominated industries pay more; and being forced to work less because they are far more likely to be made responsible for house upkeep.

That’s straight from the Department of Labor, btw.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:06 am
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:16 pm Yeah.

Was that before or after the Equal Pay Act?

EDIT: Equal Pay Act of 1963
Both

That one is tricky to enforce in creative fields.

Which is a good part of why in the late 60s early 70s she and my dad set up their own shop and won some national awards, one for a PR/membership campaign for the Greenville Symphony built around a main graphic element i designed.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Thor

Grump Grump Grump 2019-02-10

Post by Thor »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:56 pm Except this "inclusivity" is to the point that it completely sidelines straight people and males, and it comes across as "they have no place in this comic".
And don't forget all these school-age teenagers! It's to the point that it completely sidelines grumpy old men, like that seems to be 90% of this forum's residents. And yet, I have not heard a single comment here demanding more grumpy old men.

Peculiar that. :roll:
Bookworm

Re: Grump Grump Grump 2019-02-10

Post by Bookworm »

Thor wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 am
Alkarii wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:56 pm Except this "inclusivity" is to the point that it completely sidelines straight people and males, and it comes across as "they have no place in this comic".
And don't forget all these school-age teenagers! It's to the point that it completely sidelines grumpy old men, like that seems to be 90% of this forum's residents. And yet, I have not heard a single comment here demanding more grumpy old men.

Peculiar that. :roll:
Right. Where _is_ the museum director?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Married to Phix, clearly.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well,
I've been a Grumpy Ol' Man my entire life- I shall Unionize!

btw- even in the midst of strife and disagreement, I found the discussions here hadn't gone nuclear, and I wanted to express appreciation for that from everybody.

I even picked up stuff to learn about:
(for example- Rob Liefeld, and having instinctively hated his stuff without knowing anything about him, I did some looking around and found out- I was right to dislike his work...)

Here is my 'Bringing it Full Circle Question of the Day': Where and What has become of Dietzel? (heck, he should be Club Mascot...)
AnotherFairportfan

Spinnerette had a story where she crossed over with Golden Age, Silver Age and 90s versions oi herself and Mecha Maid.

90s Spinny and MM were truly VICIOUS piss-takes on Liefeld...
AnotherFairportfan

Akeche wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:06 am Married to Phix, clearly.
Is Shelly gonna have an aunt or uncle to help raise?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

TazManiac wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:35 pm Well,

btw- even in the midst of strife and disagreement, I found the discussions here hadn't gone nuclear, and I wanted to express appreciation for that from everybody.

(for example- Rob Liefeld, and having instinctively hated his stuff without knowing anything about him, I did some looking around and found out- I was right to dislike his work...)

Here is my 'Bringing it Full Circle Question of the Day': Where and What has become of Dietzel? (heck, he should be Club Mascot...)
You missed the discussions on building your own A-Bomb then. I'm a proponent of the pipe bomb design myself even though it uses more fissionable materials, because it only requires one blasting cap to function :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Opus the Poet wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:02 am
TazManiac wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:35 pm Well,

You missed the discussions on building your own A-Bomb then. I'm a proponent of the pipe bomb design myself even though it uses more fissionable materials, because it only requires one blasting cap to function :ugeek:
I prefer the neutron bomb. Other than the immediate area around the detonation, everything else is good to go after a few days.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Two types of pragmatism: ease of use vs ease of occupation of an area after use.
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

GlytchMeister wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:05 am Two types of pragmatism: ease of use vs ease of occupation of an area after use.
Even simpler than that. What causes the least long term toxicity? Regular nukes are fine as long as you don't expect to need that area for anything for quite some time.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:36 am Even simpler than that. What causes the least long term toxicity?
Well, in the case of the USNPS, stupidity.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

jwhouk wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:13 am
Bookworm wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:36 am Even simpler than that. What causes the least long term toxicity?
Well, in the case of the USNPS, stupidity.
I think that's the _most_ long term toxicity.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

There is a element I've been looking to put into a story where a weapons strike is successful against its target, bu the events that drew the wrath of elimination down upon them was seen as so grievous that the instigator of the strike just kept on sending bombs to the same spot, relentlessly.

The hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper, the dirt never gets a chance to cool off.

I'm still working on 'what happens then...'.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:37 am There is a element I've been looking to put into a story where a weapons strike is successful against its target, bu the events that drew the wrath of elimination down upon them was seen as so grievous that the instigator of the strike just kept on sending bombs to the same spot, relentlessly.

The hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper, the dirt never gets a chance to cool off.

I'm still working on 'what happens then...'.
You mean like this?
I'm too much!