How I Treated You 2018-12-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: How I Treated You 2018-12-14

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Bookworm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:26 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:06 pm See also: Bechdel Test.
Except that test is ludicrous, as almost any normal conversation between two (or more) women will end up with men as part of the conversation in some form or another.
The Bechdel Test doesn't require that the women NEVER talk about men - just that men are not ALL they talk about.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:26 am
Except that test is ludicrous, as almost any normal conversation between two (or more) women will end up with men as part of the conversation in some form or another.
The Bechdel Test doesn't require that the women NEVER talk about men - just that men are not ALL they talk about.
It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man.
The implication is that they must carry on at least one conversation that doesn't involve men. When my wife and her friends are talking, there's _always_ something about men in there.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

The Bechdel test can luck itself into a passing grade. "Hotline Miami" passes the test because the two female detectives have a conversation about contraband diamonds while having a topless jacuzzi dip.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Warrl wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:25 pm Overall I suspect that gay men are slightly over-represented, and gay women under-represented. I have no data to back up that suspicion though.

My gripe is that it seems to be all-or-nothing most of the time - in any given universe odds are that either pretty much everyone age 14-30 is gay, or nobody is. And bisexual, poly, and transgender or genderfluid is extremely rare except in fiction about being in one of those categories.

(Yes there are exceptions - they aren't exactly scarce. But in my observation most fiction, even most recent fiction, still fits that description.)
Then my church is a work of fiction? We have two active transgender members, scads of genderqueer (OK 2 out of about 40) uncountable numbers of lesbians, our gay men don't advertise but we know they are there, several poly members in the past but only 1 now, and the Venn diagram has tons of overlap.

Or maybe it's just my life that's a work of fiction, given the number of times I have died and come back. :twisted: Maybe I'm a comic book character? :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:58 pm
Warrl wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:25 pm Overall I suspect that gay men are slightly over-represented, and gay women under-represented. I have no data to back up that suspicion though.

My gripe is that it seems to be all-or-nothing most of the time - in any given universe odds are that either pretty much everyone age 14-30 is gay, or nobody is. And bisexual, poly, and transgender or genderfluid is extremely rare except in fiction about being in one of those categories.

(Yes there are exceptions - they aren't exactly scarce. But in my observation most fiction, even most recent fiction, still fits that description.)
Then my church is a work of fiction? We have two active transgender members, scads of genderqueer (OK 2 out of about 40) uncountable numbers of lesbians, our gay men don't advertise but we know they are there, several poly members in the past but only 1 now, and the Venn diagram has tons of overlap.

Or maybe it's just my life that's a work of fiction, given the number of times I have died and come back. :twisted: Maybe I'm a comic book character? :ugeek:
Universalist Unitarian?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
AnotherFairportfan

Bookworm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:02 pm
It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man.
The implication is that they must carry on at least one conversation that doesn't involve men. When my wife and her friends are talking, there's _always_ something about men in there.
No - the implication that the conversation isn't exclusively or primarily about men not including men as a secondary topic.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 pm
Bookworm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:02 pm
No - the implication that the conversation isn't exclusively or primarily about men: it allows including men as a secondary topic.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Universalist Unitarian?
Got it in one! :D
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 pm
Bookworm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 pm

Universalist Unitarian?
Got it in one! :D
http://leftycartoons.com/2008/10/09/suc ... e-to-make/