The only thing 2012-11-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

The only thing 2012-11-06

Post by My2Cents »

They can don't need permission to enter and eat the guilty?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
NOTDilbert

Re: The only thing 2012-11-06

Post by NOTDilbert »

They finally let Suzie clean up....

...with the Chief's shirt pocket apparently....

And Lilly's getting tarred with the same brush.

And, more vampire trivia... :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Sooo....

The FBI (presumably) knows they are vampires, knows vampiric limitations, and recruited them anyway? Some special counter-demonic whatever squad? The anti-X-Files?

Huge backstory awaits!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It was a throwaway line from Phix during Shelly's training in the library.

Apparently, if they (vampires) enter a dwelling in which they are not invited, their eyeballs will start bleeding - UNLESS they have committed some crime or are guilty of some crime. Which would make them ideal as vice squad agents, as they would know right away if the person they were chasing was guilty or not.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

jwhouk wrote:It was a throwaway line from Phix during Shelly's training in the library.

Apparently, if they (vampires) enter a dwelling in which they are not invited, their eyeballs will start bleeding - UNLESS they have committed some crime or are guilty of some crime. Which would make them ideal as vice squad agents, as they would know right away if the person they were chasing was guilty or not.
Almost everybody is guilty of something, even if it is not reporting a criminal act by a friend (for example -- there are a lot of common jokes that would constitute assault if used on a stranger). There has to be some threshold value, from the chief comments his being a “guilty piece of shit” would apparently let them walk right in.

Makes you wonder, are vampires some kind of scavenger of the morally dead?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

My2Cents wrote:Makes you wonder, are vampires some kind of scavenger of the morally dead?
Actually that would be an interesting line of thought to pursue. If true it would make fact-finding in a serious case "interesting" as sending a vampire uninvited to their dwelling would result in bleeding eyes if innocent, but there's no guarantee that non-bleeding eyes means the suspect is guilty of the crime suspected, only that the suspect is guilty of something. False positives could be quite common, but you would never get a false negative.
Spock wrote:Fascinating
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I'm interested in what hold the goverment has on these two. Da Chief is presumably human and has the resources and backup to intimidate vamipre agents under his command, one of which is at least one hundred and thirty years old. It implys that the Wapsiverse is a place where the common citizen dosen't know about the supernatural, but supernatural knowledge is apparently known within goverment agencies like the FBI at at least the field office command level.

The hold the FBI has on Pratt and McBride may be as simple as "work for us or die", or it may be more complex, with supernaturals, especially lower level folks, being considered full citizens and working in all levels of govermant and civil life. Eyrale is making a living as a marine biologist, after all. And two of the most powerful biengs on the planet are working as a dance insructor and an office manager. And Da Chief was threatning them with jail, not death, so the goverment may view folks like Lily and Suzie as valuable, if some what risky, assets.

Also, what are the chances that these two FBI special agents will come in direct contact with a certain Titanic officer of the Minneapolis police department? that could prove...interesting.
Opus the Poet wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Makes you wonder, are vampires some kind of scavenger of the morally dead?
Actually that would be an interesting line of thought to pursue. If true it would make fact-finding in a serious case "interesting" as sending a vampire uninvited to their dwelling would result in bleeding eyes if innocent, but there's no guarantee that non-bleeding eyes means the suspect is guilty of the crime suspected, only that the suspect is guilty of something. False positives could be quite common, but you would never get a false negative.
Spock wrote:Fascinating
I'd be willing to bet the threshold would be pretty high, like being a serial killer who had the dismembered bodies of his victims stored in the freezer, ferinstance.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Sweet Luna, Da Chief is suddenly one of my favourite characters. He reminds me so much of bosses/supervisors I've had over all my years as a security officer. Right down to the moustache/stubble combo, ink-stained shirt & bottle of antacid. And rage-swearing.

"Grade A Cluster Fluster." Heh. :D
Last edited by MerchManDan on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I feel for the guy, really I do. Having a nice mid-morning apéritif of Pepto-Bismol (a fine vintage, bottled last Tuesday I believe). He probably goes through Tagamet and Maalox as if they were after-dinner mints.

So, somebody has adopted the use of vampires as combination hard-to-kill agents, and guilt-detectors? Rather hard on either the suspect or the agent, though... busting into a house full of innocents leaves you with your agents out of commission for a while, I guess. Not quite as bad for the agent as being an $ETHNIC Mine Detector character in a Dungeons&Dragons game, but uncomfortable and undignified.

In this case, it looks as if Suzie took advantage of the "guilt exception", and escalated herself into the "Judge, Jury, and Executioner" role. That's always dangerous... at best it's a very rough form of justice (because you don't actually see justice be done properly) and at worst it's little short of a lynching.

But, I guess it counts as a judgement, if not "justice". If you're innocent, the vampires can't enter. If you're truly guilty of doing something awful, you suddenly find yourself entwined in a very close embrace with a hungry vampire, and your blood ends up all over you, the vampire, and everything else.

I guess they do things the hard way, in the Court of the Crimson Cling. :shock:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

So you would have to "save" vampiric guilt detection for deciding to go to trial for a "serious" crime (I'm wondering if the current Wall St shenanigans would be enough to trigger the failure of eyes to bleed, or if the "crime" has to be one of violence).
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:I feel for the guy, really I do. Having a nice mid-morning apéritif of Pepto-Bismol (a fine vintage, bottled last Tuesday I believe). He probably goes through Tagamet and Maalox as if they were after-dinner mints.

So, somebody has adopted the use of vampires as combination hard-to-kill agents, and guilt-detectors? Rather hard on either the suspect or the agent, though... busting into a house full of innocents leaves you with your agents out of commission for a while, I guess. Not quite as bad for the agent as being an $ETHNIC Mine Detector character in a Dungeons&Dragons game, but uncomfortable and undignified.

In this case, it looks as if Suzie took advantage of the "guilt exception", and escalated herself into the "Judge, Jury, and Executioner" role. That's always dangerous... at best it's a very rough form of justice (because you don't actually see justice be done properly) and at worst it's little short of a lynching.

But, I guess it counts as a judgement, if not "justice". If you're innocent, the vampires can't enter. If you're truly guilty of doing something awful, you suddenly find yourself entwined in a very close embrace with a hungry vampire, and your blood ends up all over you, the vampire, and everything else.

Actually I don't think she was acting as J, J, & E. She's trying to explain something to the chief that he's not letting her say. Something important from what I can determine...
illiad

Post by illiad »

Opus the Poet wrote:So you would have to "save" vampiric guilt detection for deciding to go to trial for a "serious" crime (I'm wondering if the current Wall St shenanigans would be enough to trigger the failure of eyes to bleed, or if the "crime" has to be one of violence).
meh, script holes.... :roll:

It looks like pablo is a fan of late 70's rough cop dramas... :) The Sweeney, etc... :P
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Dave wrote:I feel for the guy, really I do. Having a nice mid-morning apéritif of Pepto-Bismol (a fine vintage, bottled last Tuesday I believe). He probably goes through Tagamet and Maalox as if they were after-dinner mints.

Actually I don't think she was acting as J, J, & E. She's trying to explain something to the chief that he's not letting her say. Something important from what I can determine...
This may be the case, or it may be a case of Suzie getting too emotionally involved in the case and losing it. What little we know from the diolouge is that Bloody Meatsnak was a serial killer with multiple victims under his belt (and in his freezer) and this may have hit too close to home for McBride. We've seen plenty of examples lately of supernatural predators going into feral mode when thier emotional buttons are pushed.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Opus the Poet wrote:Actually I don't think she was acting as J, J, & E. She's trying to explain something to the chief that he's not letting her say. Something important from what I can determine...
My thought from the first bloody reveal "But he was dead when I got here! Would you pass up a free meal?".
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Boxilar wrote:I'm interested in what hold the goverment has on these two. Da Chief is presumably human and has the resources and backup to intimidate vamipre agents under his command, one of which is at least one hundred and thirty years old. It implys that the Wapsiverse is a place where the common citizen dosen't know about the supernatural, but supernatural knowledge is apparently known within goverment agencies like the FBI at at least the field office command level.

The hold the FBI has on Pratt and McBride may be as simple as "work for us or die", or it may be more complex, with supernaturals, especially lower level folks, being considered full citizens and working in all levels of govermant and civil life. Eyrale is making a living as a marine biologist, after all. And two of the most powerful biengs on the planet are working as a dance insructor and an office manager. And Da Chief was threatning them with jail, not death, so the goverment may view folks like Lily and Suzie as valuable, if some what risky, assets.
The Chief is not threatening them with jail “because you two would eat all the prisoners.” But you are right, he does not mention death, so maybe it means that they cannot be killed (by forces wielded by humans that is). But I wonder what they would think if threatened with being stuffed in a hermetically sealed in a box and dumped in a abyssal (deep water) disposal area? At least Shelly had light and could move.
Also, what are the chances that these two FBI special agents will come in direct contact with a certain Titanic officer of the Minneapolis police department? that could prove...interesting.
And then his girl friend shows up and thinks either he is 2 timing her or they are trying to muscle in …

Might be even more interesting if Justin already knows them and introduces them to Shelly when she drops over to meet him at the station at the end of his shift. Their worst nightmare.
I'd be willing to bet the threshold would be pretty high, like being a serial killer who had the dismembered bodies of his victims stored in the freezer, ferinstance.
That’s what I am betting. Which brings up the question of what were they supposed to bring the guy in for?
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

(I'm wondering if the current Wall St shenanigans would be enough to trigger the failure of eyes to bleed, or if the "crime" has to be one of violence).
I for one hope the "crime" has to be one of violence, it feels right - other wise i will keep having nightmares of Johnny Hooker and Henry "Shaw" Gondorff (from "The Sting" 1973) eaten by vampires.
Con men are cruel, and selfish, calloused, narcissistic, destructive, tricksters - but usually are not practitioners of the level of real sadism required for irredeemable evil.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My2Cents wrote:Which brings up the question of what were they supposed to bring the guy in for?
Questioning. The bodies in his freezer would be enough to arrest him...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I wonder if guilt detecting vampires would be any good against the criminally insane? What they do, they may have no guilty feelings about. So would they read as innocent?

Who knows, the chief may be some sort of supernatural predator himself. There are plenty of male mythological creatures of great killing powers too. That, or this one is also a female but likes to shape shift into the form of a grizzly old male commander for appearance sake.

I can just imagine how these two would fare in prison;
Inmate 1: "I can't believe Dime Dropper Danisha escaped last week"
Inmate 2: "Wow! That makes what ... six that have escaped or been suddenly paroled just this past month?"
Inmate 1: "Eight. This place leaks inmates like a sieve! Oh, hi Suzi! We were just talking about DD."
Suzie: "Um, yeah ... I heard she, ah, got out."
Inmate 1: "You been here about a month now, aintcha? How ya holdin' up? Bet ya hate the food."
Suzie: "Well, I have a supply of snacks to tide me over. But I'm running low."
Inmate 1: "Yeah, I see you're puttin on the pounds." {smiles}
Suzie: "Say, Barbie, what did you say you were in for? Tortured your kids wasn't it?"
Inmate 1: "Yeah, so? Little s**ts had it coming."
Suzie: "Oh nothing. See ya!" {thinking to herself} ... "Soon."

Yeah, well, that's where my imagination goes. Deal. Might make a good TV series though.
Canned Meat ... not your ordinary women in prison story! These girls make Oz look like Hogan's Heroes. The Washington Post says "Gritty and real, yet tenderized." The NY Times says, "These girls like their cellmates like they like their gossip, fresh, raw, and juicy." Canned Meat! coming this Fall to The Food Network.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This reminds me more of the keystone kops that anything else. Is the chief the new comic relief? Are those doughnut crumbs spraying out of his mouth? Does FBI stand for Full Blown Idiots? I don't think this part of MIB is working very well at all.

This also brings a whole new meaning to TAKE A BITE OUT OF CRIME!.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

pcj70 wrote: Con men are cruel, and selfish, calloused, narcissistic, destructive, tricksters - but usually are not practitioners of the level of real sadism required for irredeemable evil.
For you to write this on election day is astonishing.