Why Am I Like This 2018-11-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Why Am I Like This 2018-11-05

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:58 pm [spoiler warning]
Didn't it turn out that she stood to make a lot of money, should Vulcan withdraw from the Federation, and she would get to hurt Spock, as well? It's been so long, since I read it...
[/spoiler warning]
Pretty much spot on. Either way she'd still end up with Stonn.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 am
Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 am I think Shawna has discovered Hiroshi is about as romantic as a slug.
Considering that slugs are hermaphroditic... hmmm, I'm not sure just how one would even begin to evaluate "romantic" in that context. The closest sapient analog I can think of is the people of Gethen, from "The Left Hand of Darkness"... they certainly did have both love and romance, but the latter worked a bit differently than along more polarized species.

It's true, though, that Shawna might have learned the truth that Spock said to Stonn... that having is often less satisfying than wanting.
Let us rephrase that, would you like a slug for Valentine's Day? Then slugs are not romantic.

Seriously, Hiroshi might be a terrific person, and a great friend, but all the evidence we have been presented indicates he lacks romance. Now that might be because of the crazy Fae girl, or the crazy Fae may have been caused by the lack of romance, cause and effect being so difficult to discern through this medium lacking in vocal intonation. Or the two may have had nothing to do with each other, the crazy Fae girl may have already been crazy prior to encountering Hiroshi. There is also the possibility Hiroshi is Ace or Aro, not every adolescent is a hormone crazed relationship-seeking missile.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

not every adolescent is a hormone crazed relationship-seeking missile
And the ones that do become such, don't do so in sync. Or even indicate the transition by any reliable change in appearance or behavior.

So there are those whose behavior shows they either have made the transition or are trying to fake it because they think it's expected of them - no telling which applies...

... and there are those one can't be sure of.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I still think he should just outright say he isn't interested in seeking a relationship, and shouldn't be required to do so. It's kind of looking like everyone is thinking he should only exist as an appendage of someone else. The kid isn't an angler fish.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm So there are those whose behavior shows they either have made the transition or are trying to fake it because they think it's expected of them - no telling which applies...

"Adolescence. The nitrogen tri-iodide years."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

And then there’s kids who shut themselves down to survive bullying and abusive family, so even though they do indeed want to try relationships and such, they outwardly appear to have absolutely no interest in it at all (if you can see them at all, because they have probably developed social stealth skills)... because anything can be used as a handle to jerk them around.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:41 pm
Warrl wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm So there are those whose behavior shows they either have made the transition or are trying to fake it because they think it's expected of them - no telling which applies...

"Adolescence. The nitrogen tri-iodide years."
Duodec
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.