Let Me Finish 2018-10-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Let Me Finish 2018-10-26

Post by jwhouk »

Ricardo Montalban is groaning in his grave right now.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 pm I thought it was that they (famously) would work themselves into a froth over some minor issue to the point (and frequency) that it became popularly known as a Corinthian Lather?
Oh, that's a different political trope entirely. That's where the phrase "getting up on your soapbox" came from. :mrgreen:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"Famous for my jugs..." Got me to thinking of

[Image
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

For our younger readers, may I introduce you to Sophia Loren (left) and Jayne Mansfield. Jayne was part of the 50s era movie group collectively known at the Blonde Bombshells, along with Marylin Monroe and Mamie Van Doren. Busty women in the movies was nothing new -- they were the Hollywood legacy of 30s stars like Mae West and Jean Harlow who occupied a social corner of life (at least on film) which was scandalous and alluring at the same time. This matured into the Sex Kitten (personified by Marilyn and Jayne), presented on screen with all their Siren Call presence and cutsey/dumb blond persona. The Seven Year Itch (Monroe) existed exactly to present that role for Monroe. Mansfield and the others rode the B-movie wave instead, but in similar roles. Loren got more A-list parts that played to her Italian heritage and stronger presence. The image says it all - Loren presenting herself fashionably despite being big busted, and Mansfield presenting her bust amazingly!

Mansfield was actually a quite intelligent businesswoman, much along the lines of actress/ producer/ director/ inventor Hedy Lamarr. Lamarr ran against the Hollywood grain by challenging and sometimes displacing men for her own projects. Mansfield likewise defied various Hollywood power types by trying to rewrite some roles and demanding other changes. Her B-movie status didn't give her much leverage, however, and relied on her own performances at Las Vegas and other venues.

Sadly, Mansfield's life was cut short when driving between venues one night in 1967. Her car underran a slow unlit truck trailer at highway speeds causing massive head injuries. The Hollywood spotlight shone on her once again in death, and the furor over truck design resulted in high platform truck bodies now having a strong metal bar suspended under the tail, to block vehicles from running under the deck.

In my time going through Driver's Ed in the 70s, this was called the Mansfield Bar. Whatever her movie legacy, thousands of people live today because of her death.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I've mainly heard it called an "ICC step", i think.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Bookworm wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:53 pm
Is that like the evils of killing Naugas for their skin?
Save the Nauga!
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:35 pm
Atomic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 pm I thought it was that they (famously) would work themselves into a froth over some minor issue to the point (and frequency) that it became popularly known as a Corinthian Lather?
Oh, that's a different political trope entirely. That's where the phrase "getting up on your soapbox" came from. :mrgreen:
A sufficient number of them were known to ramble on and on about nothing that even now, such behavior is called "doing the Corinthian Blather"...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 pmI've mainly heard it called an "ICC step", i think.
ICC bar or underride bar are other names that came about later, after the Interstate Commerce Commission ordered their installation on all trucks in interstate commerce . . . and after people had largely forgotten about Jayne Mansfield.

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 pm
Save the Nauga!
Collect the whole set!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Atomic wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:10 am
Save the Nauga!
Collect the whole set!
Everyone says "Save the Whales!" You ever try saving whales? Just one of them takes up the whole garage. Every damn cat within in a mile radius hangs out in the yard, too. It's a hell of a mess. :shock:

But seriously, back when I was into whitewater canoeing, there was the campaign to save the baby neoprenes from being clubbed to make wetsuits. They were so cute, with the big eyes, and the little zippers in their skin . . . . :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 am Everyone says "Save the Whales!" You ever try saving whales? Just one of them takes up the whole garage. Every damn cat within in a mile radius hangs out in the yard, too. It's a hell of a mess. :shock:
You just need a technology upgrade, courtesy of the Library.
Orca #14 has been saved.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Save the Nauga!
Collect the whole set!
https://www.naugahyde.com/dolls/

There you go. You can collect the set, as raised by Uniroyal.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Storel

Post by Storel »

Typeminer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 am
Save the Nauga!
Collect the whole set!
Everyone says "Save the Whales!" You ever try saving whales? Just one of them takes up the whole garage. Every damn cat within in a mile radius hangs out in the yard, too. It's a hell of a mess. :shock:
Reminds me somehow of this old joke: "Jesus saves! He shoots! He scores!"
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Jesus Saves... But Esposito Scores on the Rebound!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm "Jesus Saves... But Esposito Scores on the Rebound!"
I remember that one from the 3rd Street Tunnel...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Storel wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Typeminer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 am
Collect the whole set!
Reminds me somehow of this old joke: "Jesus saves! He shoots! He scores!"
Jesus saves! Have you done your backups lately?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:42 pm
jwhouk wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:13 pm "Jesus Saves... But Esposito Scores on the Rebound!"
I remember that one from the 3rd Street Tunnel...
The version I recall was Grezkty scoring... :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Forgot to mention, Atomic did a pretty good break down on that picture I posted, up-thread...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TazManiac wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:18 pm Forgot to mention, Atomic did a pretty good break down on that picture I posted, up-thread...
Thank you very much!

As a side note, Sophia Loren is 5' 8" Jayne Mansfield and Marilyn Monroe were both 5' 5" (Mansfield was bustier), and for comparison, Judy Garland was only 4' 11". No wonder Mae West (5' even) didn't want to do TV because it was "smaller than life" !!

My Deviant Art scribbles