Who Would Win 2018-09-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: Who Would Win 2018-09-24

Post by Atomic »

Ah, the joys of tossing skunks into the forum and wondrously watching what wafts which way...

Tangent to all of the above: One thing few people consider about the past is the environment people lived in. Malaria, yellow fever, and hookworm were common in the near tropical summer conditions of "The South" and this in turn led to the Lazy Southerner stereotype, white and black. Now add working outdoors in 86F/30C+ and 80%+ humidity, and see how long you last. Interior offices and factories were no better. Hygiene issues you ask? Let's not talk about that, but don't ignore them either.

The North looked down on the South the way Swedes looked down on the FInns, and that mess lasted at least as long. At least Mexico didn't interfere as the Russians did. Tales for another day!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Atomic wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 pm Ah, the joys of tossing skunks into the forum and wondrously watching what wafts which way...

Tangent to all of the above: One thing few people consider about the past is the environment people lived in. Malaria, yellow fever, and hookworm were common in the near tropical summer conditions of "The South" and this in turn led to the Lazy Southerner stereotype, white and black. Now add working outdoors in 86F/30C+ and 80%+ humidity, and see how long you last. Interior offices and factories were no better. Hygiene issues you ask? Let's not talk about that, but don't ignore them either.

The North looked down on the South the way Swedes looked down on the FInns, and that mess lasted at least as long. At least Mexico didn't interfere as the Russians did. Tales for another day!
And all because i mentioned alternate history, sorry (not sorry). I try not to get involved in discussions about this particular war due to my family's involvement in it. IMHO Lee did not surrender to Grant, Grant stole his sword and Lee was to much of a gentleman to ask for it back.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm
Hansontoons wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:02 pm
Bookworm wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:04 pm Needless to say, the people that _grew up_ here didn't give a crap about the history and wanted to keep the name. All the people who migrated here were desperate to force the school district to spend all the money on the renaming. Sometimes I wish we could just take everyone from California and push them back there. That state is a poison to the rest of the country. (Mind you, I feel similarly about Austin, TX, so it's obviously my personal opinion only)
I did not know Reagan had been renamed. I moved back to Houston earlier this year (after 24 years in Conroe) into the Heights area. A group of long-time residents congregate in a driveway around the corner from my place almost every night. I’ve stopped to visit and they’ve decided to tolerate me since I’ve made the effort to say hello. They do talk often about all the changes in the area, and not all for the good in their view.

Change, whether you like it or not, is inevitable. But I do agree that change should be reasonable and not because “that’s not the way we did it where we came from”.

Peace.
I'm on the other side of 45 from the Heights. Hello, neighbor! :)
Howdy back!

I'm close to Ella, Shady Acres area. I cannot recall ever having been through east side of 45 around there. Family moved here in '73, so I've explored a little but not everywhere. Been meaning to check out new St. Arnolds brewery after they located just north of downtown, just haven't made the time.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Speaking of family involvement in the Civil War, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but on my paternal grandmother's side I'm related to Robert E. Lee. He was her great-great-great-uncle or something. Not sure how many generations. But apparently, Lee's wife was the granddaughter of George Washington.

Not sure how that relates to anything, though...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 am Speaking of family involvement in the Civil War, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but on my paternal grandmother's side I'm related to Robert E. Lee. He was her great-great-great-uncle or something. Not sure how many generations. But apparently, Lee's wife was the granddaughter of George Washington.

Not sure how that relates to anything, though...
That's okay - one of my close friends in high school was Robert Lee Lacy. Named that for an ancestor :) Another friend in elementary was Francis Scott (Scotty) Key. Named after a great, great, whatever uncle, who just happened to be a poet of some renown.

The other oddball 'southernism' is the whole black caricature routine, where they always bring up fried chicken and watermelon. (That, and 'soul food'). The reason it's a caricature is that it's _true_. As I was growing up, any time someone had a barbecue, or just had people over in the summer, there was fried chicken, and watermelon. Black or white, it didn't matter. (Oh, let's not forget the beer. If you had enough people, someone rented a keg)

Soul food? That's "Southern Cooking". That's all.

Hansontoons - Lindale Park here. It's the original Master Planned Community. My house was built in '47, but the streets are 30 some-odd feet wide. I can turn around from gutter to gutter without having to back and fill, and people can pass each other even with cars parked on both sides of the street. I haven't been to the new brewery, but I assume it's no different from the old one. Just interesting it's in the old HISD cooking facility.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Atomic wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 pm Ah, the joys of tossing skunks into the forum and wondrously watching what wafts which way...

Try 95F+ and 100% humidity. We have a cold front going through. The highs are still in the mid to upper 80's, and the lows are in the low to mid 70's. And it's September. It was easily in the 100's over the last two months. (my power bill _sucked_)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Heh.

Try 110 F and 10% humidity. For weeks. In. A. ROW.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

jwhouk wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 pm Heh.

Try 110 F and 10% humidity. For weeks. In. A. ROW.
Oh, that sounds wonderful. No sarcasm intended. I mean, 10% humidity, when your sweat will actually cool you, rather than simply soak you down with salt water.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

We are actually looking at a low between 59 and 61 degrees up here in the Metromess Thursday morning. :ugeek:
We haven't seen lows this low since April or early May.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:11 pmAka, we are Terminators, or Jason Vorhees.
Glytch, you'd love the Xiu Chang Saga, which is part of the Jenkinsverse (at least 8 authors, over a million words) in the "Humanity Fuck Yeah" Reddit.

A brief intro to the title character:

Xiu is a little Chinese-Canadian woman, going to college to satisfy her mother's demands that she properly pursue an MRS degree, while also (with her father's support) chasing her own dream: she's training to be a kung-fu movie actress.

Not a kung-fu fighter, except incidentally to the true goal.

Plan derailed when she's kidnapped by aliens. Big four-armed creatures, working as hirelings and guards for the ones we know as "grays" (the short version).

She's thrown into a room with a bunch of aliens of another species - almost-human-size bipedal raccoons - who are also prisoners. Some are children. Every now and then the guards come and take one of the adult raccoons. Usually they get brought back a few hours later. Occasionally they come back missing parts - an eye, an arm... and some never come back.

Then one of the guards comes, and wants to take one of the children. She objects. He hits her with, effectively, a cattle prod - which she's seen lay one of the adult raccoons out flat for several minutes. She takes the hit and grabs his hand; a split seconds later, the bones of that hand are jutting out through his skin. Then she tries to shove him away, and instead crushes his chest.

Things go downhill from there...

(Note: After that story, three parts totaling ten chapters, that author was done with Xiu and the Jenkinsverse. But Xiu wasn't done, so she also appears later in the hands of other authors, mostly the original author and definer of canon. Next sort-of-appearance, I believe, is the chapter titled "19. Baptisms", and she's semi-regular thereafter in chapters with similarly-formatted titles.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

The alien whose chest got crushed sounds like they’re suffering extreme symptoms of “too much time in microgravity” (musculoskeletal atrophy, loss of bone density, etc).

I’ll have a look, thanks :)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

The Jenkinsverse sounds like they ripped off Alan Dean Foster. Specifically, the Damned Trilogy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_Trilogy

Good books. Turns out that Earth isn't like most Goldilocks Zone planets. The various alien species had never even considered Plate Tectonics to be a thing - and apparently humans both developed technology insanely quickly AND were excessively violent -TO EACH OTHER-. Oh - and that vicious lizard brain that drives our base reflexes? It doesn't like mind controllers.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I think it may be a case of “convergent writing evolution” - there’s a whole LOT of people who have had similar ideas, many of which camenup with it independently and then migrated to the Humanity Fuck Yeah subreddit, which then attracted many more writers.

One of the favorites I’ve found so far is the “Prey” series.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Rather later in the Jenkinsverse series there's a minor character, only shows up in a scene or two. Guy owns a weapons design shop (i.e. he's a gunsmith). Name is Sgt. Howard.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

For your reading pleasure: https://www.reddit.com/r/HFY
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff