Lost Count 2018-09-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Lost Count 2018-09-19

Post by Catawampus »

Chest colds seem to be a different thing for paranormal kids than for humans.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:56 pm
Just Old Al wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm
Dave wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:26 am "Besom buddies" are Scottish house-wives who have remained close ever since childhood - they've never lost that coven feelin'.

Speaking as a practicing witch the thought of turning you into a frog does come to mind...especially if I did so with you in front of a French restaurant.

Give them a leg up, so to speak...
Doc Hopper's French Fried Frog Legs?
Doc Hopper: [pointing to a billboard showing a bucket of "Doc Hopper's French Fried Frog Legs"] Isn't that splendid? Just splendid! Just take a look at it.

Kermit: All I can see are millions of frogs with tiny crutches.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Also known as “Kermit has a ‘Soylent Green is people!’ Moment.”
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 pm Also known as “Kermit has a ‘Soylent Green is people!’ Moment.”
I just blew my coffee on my keyboard...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 am
GlytchMeister wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 pm Also known as “Kermit has a ‘Soylent Green is people!’ Moment.”
Dude... you know that most of us here have permanent "Coffee & cats" warning status! :roll:

Drinking any beverage while perusing this forum is so hazardous a behavior, that most insurance companies won't cover it at any price.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Just Old Al wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 am
Dude... you know that most of us here have permanent "Coffee & cats" warning status! :roll:

Drinking any beverage while perusing this forum is so hazardous a behavior, that most insurance companies won't cover it at any price.
I don't really have to worry about it.

1) I don't drink coffee, and
2) I have an IBM Model M keyboard, which doesn't tend to lend itself to being destroyed by stuff under the keys.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Model M - isn't that the one that IBM built for DD computers at Cheyenne Mountain, so they wouldn't be destroyed in nuclear war? ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm Model M - isn't that the one that IBM built for DD computers at Cheyenne Mountain, so they wouldn't be destroyed in nuclear war? ;)
Dunno about the origin, but I do know that the Model M is one of the ones with the classic "buckling spring" keyboard. Rugged mechanism with a very positive snap-action on the key. They're for those who prefer their keyboard action to be crisp. Pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from a modern "chicklet" laptop keyboard.

I grew up with them, like them alot... I still have one or two, either original IBM, or the new ones made by Unicomp (current owners of the buckling-spring switch technology).

The hell of it is, I can't use them... they're too noisy for the shared office environment I work in now, and I can't put one on the den computer at home because the noise drives my wife crazy.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 pm Dunno about the origin, but I do know that the Model M is one of the ones with the classic "buckling spring" keyboard. Rugged mechanism with a very positive snap-action on the key. They're for those who prefer their keyboard action to be crisp. Pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from a modern "chicklet" laptop keyboard.
Know them well - its a keyboard for a computer that mimics the feel of typing on a Selectric or (Gods forbid) a Teletype.

Lot more key throw on a TTY, though.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:35 pm
jwhouk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm Model M - isn't that the one that IBM built for DD computers at Cheyenne Mountain, so they wouldn't be destroyed in nuclear war? ;)
Dunno about the origin, but I do know that the Model M is one of the ones with the classic "buckling spring" keyboard. Rugged mechanism with a very positive snap-action on the key. They're for those who prefer their keyboard action to be crisp. Pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum from a modern "chicklet" laptop keyboard.

I grew up with them, like them alot... I still have one or two, either original IBM, or the new ones made by Unicomp (current owners of the buckling-spring switch technology).

The hell of it is, I can't use them... they're too noisy for the shared office environment I work in now, and I can't put one on the den computer at home because the noise drives my wife crazy.
I'd suggest getting one of the 'cherry' mechanical key samplers on E-Bay. You can see if any of the other types of mechanical keys suit you while not being quite as noisy as the Model M.

One way to dull the sound down a bit is to get one of those 'desktop' sized mousepads - the ones that are 2 feet wide or more. Put that under the keyboard, it'll deaden the rattling.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.