The Wapsi Square Character and Storyline List

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: The Wapsi Square Cast of Characters

Post by jwhouk »

I am in the process of adding some more up-to-date entries for some of the cast list. I intend the process to take a while, so I wondered if anyone wants to take on the task of revamping the following entries:
  • Budur, Acacia "Bud"
  • Berdine
  • Guzman, Tina Rosario Aldaco
  • Krystle
  • McBride, Suzie
  • Nadette
  • Sundahl, Georgette
  • Tsillah
  • Villareal, Monica
  • Wahnee, Shelly
Please remember that we're not trying to rewrite Shakespeare, here. A few summary sentences about each would suffice.

Example: the current entry for Monica:
Villarreal, Monica – The main character of Wapsi Square. Very intelligent if a tiny bit socially inept. Twenty-something (recently turned 31) former museum curator, antique shop owner (now full time), magic glyph reader, golem keeper, possessor of phoenix blood, wielder of astral fire, demon shepherd, the "fourth light" and the bearer of a truly magnificent pair of, uh, you know (they are supposedly 28J – as in "Jaguar Girl" – as of her last "measuring" by Lydia). Listed at 4'11" in height with reddish-brown hair. She is a part-owner of an antique store with Georgette; she took over the store full-time after Roy passed away. Has a soft spot for antiques, coffee, '80's music, Mesoamerican history, and hi-fi stereos. Died briefly as a teenager when she was nearly hit by a bus running away from a horde of demons, but was "saved" by Jin. Lives in a little house with her dog, Dietzel, in the Wapsi Square area of the Twin Cities. She has developed the ability to "poit" (teleport) from place to place, which appears to have come about because of her glyph-reading ability and her visits to the Bibliothiki. She is getting better and better at it, though it's taken her some time. She's convinced that Lanthians are the "Psycho-steam punks of the ancient world." She's pretty famous among demons and mythical creatures – and even vampires. Oh, and she's a sub-Titan. In a bit of irony, she is essentially immortal – while her "friend" Jin has lost her immortality. In her Jaguar Girl form, her hair turns black and she has cat-like markings. She was the first Wapsi Square sculpture for sale through the Patch Together website, in her trademark Magic 8-Ball T-Shirt.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

WOW, things have been UPDATED!

We now have the names of the new volumes of the Wapsi Square book series - AND some of the entries have been changed and updated!

Also - I have decided that the "no-pics" version (aka "Condensed") will be available in Word DOCX format only. Link is here.

Also added:
DOCX version
DOCX version (e-Book format)

NOTE: I really do not like how Google Drive "unformats" the DOCX versions of the Omnibus, just because I chose to go with CalifornianFB as a font.

The PDF versions are here:
Regular version
e-Book formatted version
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

jwhouk wrote:WOW, things have been UPDATED!

NOTE: I really do not like how Google Drive "unformats" the DOCX versions of the Omnibus, just because I chose to go with CalifornianFB as a font.
I would guess Google don’t have a licence for web use of CalifornianFB…
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Omnibus has been updated - with our new cast member, Digit!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just because I've been stuck in 1865 doesn't mean I haven't kept up on the Omnibus. All five flavors are now available.

And I did decide to just "note" that Atsali's having body image issues again - from both sides of her family.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That moment when you realize you have to redo a couple of cast list entries because information in recent strips just threw them out the window...

:facepalm
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm a bit on the torn side... As a Patreon supporter, I get some of the "extra" stuff that Pablo puts out there for those of us who put our money where our mouth is about the strip.

But... do I count what happens in those "additional" strips as canon?
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

jwhouk wrote:I'm a bit on the torn side... As a Patreon supporter, I get some of the "extra" stuff that Pablo puts out there for those of us who put our money where our mouth is about the strip.

But... do I count what happens in those "additional" strips as canon?
Does The Artist think they are Canon? If so, then by all means list them if you so will.

If you choose to have mercy on more casual followers such as I and note such entries as Patreon-only, that would be most considerate of you.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

In the words of Simon LeBon, "I'll cross that bridge when I find it."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Omnibus is updated... Sort of.

The single-panel strips ending this week weren't included in the latest strip summary. Also, I do need to add a place entry for Pizza And Games.
simisri

Post by simisri »

jwhouk wrote:Pablo referenced it in one of the recent threads, and I'm posting this as a separate (hopefully pinnable?) thread:

The list of the cast of characters - from Monica's Abuela to Daren Watkins, and from Monica Villareal and Amanda Ehrlich all the way to Lily Pratt and Suzie McBride - is now updated through Friday, November 2nd's strip.

EDIT: The Now-Omnibus version (including characters, locales, and a "storyline arc" summary listing) is located at Google Docs - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9AJYQ ... sp=sharing (eBook version)
Hi, new member here. Also a new fan of this awesome comic. Just started reading the past couple of days. Looking forward to be active in the threads while I'm not reading. Are there any threads here that I should avoid for major spoilers? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The threads are organized by comic name and day, so if you haven't gotten to a particular day's strip, don't read the thread.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

jwhouk wrote:The threads are organized by comic name and day, so if you haven't gotten to a particular day's strip, don't read the thread.
The easy way is to get caught up to date on the comic and then come to the forum. Particularly the daily discussion section.

The fanfic, it won't matter so much because you won't know what's canon and what's fanon. (While I can't think, offhand, of anywhere that the fanfic fanon contradicts canon, the fanon massively extends the canon.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:The easy way is to get caught up to date on the comic and then come to the forum. Particularly the daily discussion section.
That's a good way to go about it.

A concentrated archive-dive can be done in a weekend, if you don't stop for nonessentials like food, drink, sleep, and bathroom breaks.

You'll probably miss a lot. I certainly did, the first time.

Then, come here for the discussions, in the glad knowledge that there won't be any spoilers. After reading some of the forum threads and perhaps asking some questions, you'll probably want to repeat at least portions of the archive-dive.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I did 5 full archive binges, and I don't no how many partials. LouisXIV's index made it a lot easier to find strips, so my archive binges are almost completely eliminated.

Also jwhouk is a wizard. If you can't find a strip, he can.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Warrl wrote:(While I can't think, offhand, of anywhere that the fanfic fanon contradicts canon, the fanon massively extends the canon.)
Aye! Think of the extension as a cohesive, consistent "what if?"
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Omnibus has been updated on Google Docs - including a new subsection about the Patreon-only characters we've met so far.

Other than the addition of the storyline arcs, there has been an added commentary about Cerberus Club's "under 21" area.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hello, what's this? The Omnibus has been UPDATED????!!!???
The new changes:
  • Miss Vonn now has her own entry;
  • The Gryphon High Flight Team's entry has been expanded.