The Wapsi Square Character and Storyline List

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Leak

Re: The Wapsi Square Cast of Characters

Post by Leak »

jwhouk wrote:I have added a Google Docs version of the same PDF, available only through this link. If anyone can't get the document through this, let me know and I'll fiddle with the settings a bit:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9AJYQp ... sp=sharing
Works for me - and I've noticed that your book list at the very end is missing "The Timekeeper's Daughter"... ;)

np: Mogwai - R U Still In 2 It? (DJ Q Remix) (Kicking A Dead Pig (Disc 1))
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

jwhouk wrote:Obviously, since we have a new cast member, I needed to update the document.

For those of you who can still access it via Scribd - and I'm still wondering why it's asking you to "Go Pro" to read it - over at the following URL:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/111993944/Wap ... Characters
For what it's worth, I can view it on Scribd just fine, but it won't let me download it without paying. Personally, that works for me.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Leak wrote: Works for me - and I've noticed that your book list at the very end is missing "The Timekeeper's Daughter"... ;)
np: Mogwai - R U Still In 2 It? (DJ Q Remix) (Kicking A Dead Pig (Disc 1))
...And now I know how Brandi felt as she was putting together the bowling ball disco light.

New URL for Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9AJYQp ... sp=sharing
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

the entry for Bud has some wrong info... the Poit-Tapestry wasn't time travel related, as i think that Tepoz was fibbing a bit, in order to get Monica to leave it alone, and those bananas and the signature were forgeries... also, when Jin moved the half that was inside Bud, she didn't move it to the gun-runners den /marketplace... that was the OTHER half of it that was there already. Jin moved her half to her own apartment.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The time-travel aspect of the tapestry we may never know. It's entirely possible that the tapestry had an "access-way" to one of the portals of the library, or some such thing.

Of course, it also could have been powered by Bellisario's Maxim.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I see what's going on here.

You have to sign up to be a Scribd member - either via Facebook (if that's your style) or by creating a Scribd account - which, theoretically, should be free.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

jwhouk wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I see what's going on here.

You have to sign up to be a Scribd member - either via Facebook (if that's your style) or by creating a Scribd account - which, theoretically, should be free.
Seems that way; I was already logged in to Facebook when I checked out the document and was somewhat startled to see myself logged in to Scribd automatically. As with most sites, the very basic membership is free; if you want to actually DO stuff, you gotta pay.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Is the scribd version of the list kept as up-to-date as the wiki version? (Which, yeah, could be better - but at least is easy to edit.)
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Scribd is much better maintained than the wiki version. I don't do much with the wiki as I probably should.
videoismylife

Post by videoismylife »

Can't help myself - "Extra Dynamite" is the trade name of a safer form of explosive - ammonium nitrate based - that isn't as heat sensitive as the traditional nitroglycerin-based "Dynamite". HOW MUCH less heat sensitive, I have no idea. I got curious when I saw Paul's graphic background - where the heck did he find all those different dynamite box images?? and educated myself on explosives while I searched.....
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Two threads over...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And one thread down.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

And straight on till morning.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I was just reading through some old post a and realize that several of us are referring to Katherine as Dr. Gilcrest just because she mentioned that she had several post graduate degrees. The problem with the assumption is that everyone refers to her as Ms Gilcrest and not Doctor. I would think that if Paul is not using that designation then she has never written a doctoral thesis and just has several masters degrees in her chosen fields of study. There is no real difference except she is may not open to most management positions like the museum director Dr. Fields has.

Sorry the thought has been gnawing at me for the past several weeks of the Stargate arc.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

The thing is, Katherine specifically says she has a 'doctorate degree' here: (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pickedlast/) so I think that's where it comes from. It's just taken this long to have anyone in the comic refer to her formally and not just by first name.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

GuySmiley wrote:The thing is, Katherine specifically says she has a 'doctorate degree' here: (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pickedlast/) so I think that's where it comes from. It's just taken this long to have anyone in the comic refer to her formally and not just by first name.
Ok, I wish to change my stance to she has a doctorate, but it may be a Miss Manners sort of thing we are facing here. In some circles people only think a Medical Doctor should be called Doctor while others should be referred by their actual title such as PhD or Professor instead of Dr. Either way you can legitimately call Katherine by both titles of Dr. and Ms.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Mark N wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:The thing is, Katherine specifically says she has a 'doctorate degree' here: (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pickedlast/) so I think that's where it comes from. It's just taken this long to have anyone in the comic refer to her formally and not just by first name.
Ok, I wish to change my stance to she has a doctorate, but it may be a Miss Manners sort of thing we are facing here. In some circles people only think a Medical Doctor should be called Doctor while others should be referred by their actual title such as PhD or Professor instead of Dr. Either way you can legitimately call Katherine by both titles of Dr. and Ms.
My father (Doctorate in Chemistry) said that he knew when a letter from a school was to judge a science contest--those letters were addressed to Dr.; all others came to Mr. . . .
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

All righty... I've got the Scribd version updated to include our two new characters.

Keep in mind: if you don't have a Scribd account, and/or you haven't contributed a document to the community, you might have some issues with seeing the complete document.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:All righty... I've got the Scribd version updated to include our two new characters.

Keep in mind: if you don't have a Scribd account, and/or you haven't contributed a document to the community, you might have some issues with seeing the complete document.
No, not "might"... WILL have difficulties...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Julie

Post by Julie »

scantrontb wrote:
jwhouk wrote:All righty... I've got the Scribd version updated to include our two new characters.

No, not "might"... WILL have difficulties...
Yeah...like "You must pay to see more than the art on the first page" kind of trouble. :(
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."