Strange Feeling 2018-07-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Strange Feeling 2018-07-20

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Strange Feeling 2018-07-20

Post by Dave »

Zathras would not want her being confoozed.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

This is not a sensation I would wish on anyone. :evil:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Could it turn out we are wrong? That Pickle isnt gonna loose out on this one?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

FALLING in love, Shawna.

Although if Hiroshi ISN'T her One, romantic conventions have it that Mr. Right will be showing up any minute now. Perhaps by accidentally falling on her in the pool.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:FALLING in love, Shawna.

Although if Hiroshi ISN'T her One, romantic conventions have it that Mr. Right will be showing up any minute now. Perhaps by accidentally falling on her in the pool.
Either that, or someone will come along... someone older and wiser and more experienced, to provide a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to cry upon, some sage advice, and perhaps a suggestion of a constructive mission to distract Shawna and give her feelings time to settle down and clarify themselves.

Clearly, this is a job for Thymbris, the resort's senior lifeguard.
Opus the Poet wrote:This is not a sensation I would wish on anyone. :evil:
I suggest that it's better than some of the alternatives.

You see, I feel sorrier for you than I do for him, because you'll never know the things that love can drive a man to... the ecstasies, the miseries, the broken rules, the desperate chances, the glorious failures, and the glorious victories. All of these things you'll never know, simply because the word "love" isn't written into your book.

Good night, Spock.

(Dr. McCoy, Star Trek, Requiem For Methuselah)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I think Pablo has (temporarily, I hope) run out of stories.

He had this fascinating world with all these interestingly different, powerful characters... finished a bunch of stories...

Did a time-skip and switched to a different set of interestingly different, powerful characters... going through totally ordinary teen drama.

Apparently he got bored with it, so he did another time-skip and moved focus to yet another set of interestingly different, powerful characters... going through totally ordinary teen drama.

For variety he worked in a modified ghost story so we could simultaneously see snippets of even another set of interestingly different, powerful characters... going through totally ordinary teen drama.

And when that didn't help he ended the arc quickly, then did a slight time-skip so we could see the same characters going through a slightly older version of totally ordinary teen drama.

Does anyone else see a pattern that maybe needs broken?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

The first strip was almost 17 years ago. That's a long time to write about the same universe and characters. As much as it pains me to even suggest it, it might be time to leave the Wapsiverse to other writers. I can see from the art he still loves the characters, but the writing well sees to have run dry. Personally I would love to see an arc with Monica and Jett out on an antique hunt across a couple of continents, maybe chased by neo-Nazis looking for the same artifact a la Indiana Jones. In fact I think putting an a Harrison Ford cameo in the arc would be a great homage. :twisted: :ugeek:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:The first strip was almost 17 years ago. That's a long time to write about the same universe and characters. As much as it pains me to even suggest it, it might be time to leave the Wapsiverse to other writers. I can see from the art he still loves the characters, but the writing well sees to have run dry. Personally I would love to see an arc with Monica and Jett out on an antique hunt across a couple of continents, maybe chased by neo-Nazis looking for the same artifact a la Indiana Jones. In fact I think putting an a Harrison Ford cameo in the arc would be a great homage. :twisted: :ugeek:
He did a pinup with Indy running away, carrying Lara Croft over his shoulder as she blazed away at whatever was chasing tbem with both guns ....
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Maybe the problem is that there are too many too-powerful characters with no particular personal feeling of a need for restraint.

What's Castela going to do for a career, that takes advantage of her uniqueness but isn't basically demolition? Seriously, she's a walking violation of #150 on Peter's Evil Overlord List.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

This is not really a problem; a Too Powerful Protagonist.

I would say that there is no such thing because you can always bring in Galactus and threaten the entire world.

I will admit I think I could continue the Monica Pantheon of characters without needing to resort to a 'baby-with-the-bathwater' reset to Atsali & Co, and now Castela & Co reboot; lots of story there to tell.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Not pertinent to the OP, but how close were those tornadoes to Pablo yesterday? Iowa took a pasting roughly in the area he relocated to a few years back.
donoho

Post by donoho »

Opus the Poet wrote:This is not a sensation I would wish on anyone. :evil:
I wish more people felt/recognized this sensation. Trying to force a connection to be somethig it's not is unnecessarily painful for all involved.