Go With You 2018-06-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, starkruzr, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cheesy1
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:15 am

Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Cheesy1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 pm


AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 pm

Scarlet: "Run away! Run away!"
He had done a good job of covering his tracks, but that was to be expected. After all, one does not conspire to ruin a House and murder a queen and then just stand there waving and waiting patiently for retribution.

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6570
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:16 pm

She certainly has more than one personal style.

When it's an emergency involving somebody else, she can jump right in, become the assertive boss, and take charge of the whole situation.

When it's personal... not so much. I'm not sure Paul has ever shown us a character who is so self-effacing, and lacking in self-confidence. She crushes more easily than "Reginald" did.

Drakkenmensch
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:03 am

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Drakkenmensch » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 pm

It really doesn't help that she has feelings for a silly boy who appears completely oblivious to love.

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA
Contact:

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Atomic » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 pm

Drakkenmensch wrote:It really doesn't help that she has feelings for a silly boy who appears completely oblivious to love.
Very few teenage boys are mind readers. I think the largest number ever recorded in a psychology experiment involving several thousand boys in dozens of high schools was approximately Zero, plus or minus a statistical margin of error of Two.
Last edited by Atomic on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff

User avatar
jwhouk
Posts: 5491
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by jwhouk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:06 am

This really isn't against Scarlet's nature, thinking about it. She was always rushing off to console Timothy in Kindergarten after Cass and Day pushed him aside. She's kinda doing the same thing for Shawna.

...that makes her Castela's clean up crew, doesn't it?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

User avatar
Opus the Poet
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Surrounded by Hell
Contact:

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Opus the Poet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:58 am

It's about this time that Timothy tells Hiroshi when Scarlett runs to talk to somebody walking/running away somebody else has majorly screwed up.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.

FreeFlier
Posts: 1918
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by FreeFlier » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:15 am

. . .

"Where's the earth-shattering kaboom?! There's supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

--FreeFlier

User avatar
oldmanmickey
Posts: 1529
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:41 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by oldmanmickey » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:50 am

Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and shake sense into them. My daddy used to tell me at puberty boys should be nailed up in a barrel and when the hit the teenage years drive the bung in.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long

eee
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by eee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:34 am

I hope Castela is paying attention. Because the way Hiroshi treats Shawna, now, gives clues as to how he will treat her once the limerence wears off.

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6570
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 am

oldmanmickey wrote:Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and shake sense into them. My daddy used to tell me at puberty boys should be nailed up in a barrel and when the hit the teenage years drive the bung in.
I've always heard that this was a quotation from Mark Twain, but apparently it hasn't ever been tracked down to a specific source, and the attribution to Twain isn't regarded as authentic. It may be an old piece of American folk wisdom. Maybe even older... human behavior hasn't changed much since the late Stone Age, so the saying may be only a few hours younger than the first invention of the barrel. I wonder what the Beaker People had to say about that topic...

User avatar
Opus the Poet
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Surrounded by Hell
Contact:

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Opus the Poet » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 pm

The problem with teens is they lack social experience which makes people just want to lock them away or as they say in TX "Bury them when they turn 12 and not dig them up until they turn 21". Which is all fine and dandy, but how do you fix a lack of social graces without social interaction? Some people never learn more than the rudiments, just as some people never learn to ride a bicycle.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.

Alkarii
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Alkarii » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 pm

I noticed that none of the characters have asked him how he feels about Shawna, and instead are expecting him to reciprocate just because she showed an interest in him. The thing is, he really shouldn't be "required" to feel that way about her, and given how easily he forgot about saying he'd hang out with her, he may have actually just thought that's all it would have been, and not something more. Just because he may have put Shawna in the friend zone doesn't make him a bad guy, though.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.

AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Dave wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and shake sense into them. My daddy used to tell me at puberty boys should be nailed up in a barrel and when the hit the teenage years drive the bung in.
I've always heard that this was a quotation from Mark Twain, but apparently it hasn't ever been tracked down to a specific source, and the attribution to Twain isn't regarded as authentic. It may be an old piece of American folk wisdom. Maybe even older... human behavior hasn't changed much since the late Stone Age, so the saying may be only a few hours younger than the first invention of the barrel. I wonder what the Beaker People had to say about that topic...
Heinlein - The Rolling Stones.
Roger Stone maintained that boys should be raised in a barrel and fed through the bung.

At eighteen, you'd drive in the bung.
{Approximate, from memory.}
He had done a good job of covering his tracks, but that was to be expected. After all, one does not conspire to ruin a House and murder a queen and then just stand there waving and waiting patiently for retribution.

Alkarii
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Alkarii » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:11 am

Something that occurred to me while at work:

Is Scarlet's impending conversation with Shawna going to lead to the latter girl winning the guy after all? That really won't bode well for Scarlet's friendship with Castela.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.

Warrl
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by Warrl » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 am

Alkarii wrote:I noticed that none of the characters have asked him how he feels about Shawna, and instead are expecting him to reciprocate just because she showed an interest in him.
And much the same here on the forum.
The thing is, he really shouldn't be "required" to feel that way about her, and given how easily he forgot about saying he'd hang out with her, he may have actually just thought that's all it would have been, and not something more. Just because he may have put Shawna in the friend zone doesn't make him a bad guy, though.
Agreed.

It WAS careless of him to forget what day he was scheduled to hang out with Shawna. But while teen boys may be more prone to that than some other categories of people, there's nobody immune.

The simple fact is that while he apparently hits all the right buttons in Shawna, she doesn't have the same effect on him. There's a word for this sort of situation; it's "life". Shawna needs to understand that this says absolutely nothing about her as a person, or as an attractive female, or in any other regard. In fact, at that age the buttons are still moving around, so it's possible (not expected, just possible) that in another month he'll be pining over her while she's mooning about some other guy.

AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Go With You 2018-06-22

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 am

Warrl wrote:The simple fact is that while he apparently hits all the right buttons in Shawna, she doesn't have the same effect on him. There's a word for this sort of situation; it's "life". Shawna needs to understand that this says absolutely nothing about her as a person, or as an attractive female, or in any other regard. In fact, at that age the buttons are still moving around, so it's possible (not expected, just possible) that in another month he'll be pining over her while she's mooning about some other guy.
Castela, Timothy and Scarlet?
He had done a good job of covering his tracks, but that was to be expected. After all, one does not conspire to ruin a House and murder a queen and then just stand there waving and waiting patiently for retribution.

Post Reply