Thank You 2018-06-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Thank You 2018-06-04

Post by lake_wrangler »

The cynic in me cannot help but wonder: "What exactly is Daylla up to..."
lake_wrangler

Re: Thank You 2018-06-04

Post by lake_wrangler »

Daylla wrote:"That that didn't happen!"
Is it me, or is there a "that" too many, here?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, mon frere, that's a little problem with English. "That" can be used both as a pronoun and as an adverb and/or adjective.

"That that" was okay.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:No, mon frere, that's a little problem with English. "That" can be used both as a pronoun and as an adverb and/or adjective.

"That that" was okay.
I could see it in a fuller sentence, such as "That that didn't happen is truly a miracle" (short for "[The fact] that that [which I just described] didn't happen, is truly a miracle"), or some such. But in this case, I don't see it. I could also see an ellipsis, between the two: "That... That didn't happen!" (As in, a pause, between the two, perhaps reflecting on the enormity of what was just avoided...)

But as it stands, is still feels wrong to me, and I (as humbly as I may say this) am not all that often wrong about this. (It's the fact that I had to study hard to reach the level of proficiency in English which I have attained, vs. someone who spoke English all their lives, and may or may not have studied as much on the subject... I mean sure, I can't quote grammar rules and such, much, but when I am unsure of something, I admit it. Conversely, when I am sure of something, I am usually quite sure, even if I can't quite tell you why...)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just remember what they always say about English:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Might read better if there was an "It was because..." in front of the "You kept her..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Just remember what they always say about English:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
Yeah, I know that. I even remember that someone had that as his signature, for a while...

But that applies to vocabulary, not grammar... :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Might read better if there was an "It was because..." in front of the "You kept her..."
You're right. (It follows the second example where "that that" would work...) Plus, I just realized, after reading your post, that the punctuation mark after the word "organized" looks more like a comma than a period, lending credence to the idea that that was what Paul was indeed trying to do in the first place.

(See what I just did, there? :P )
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just remember:

Indigenous bison from the city of Buffalo, NY, will occasionally, through bluster and fear, intimidate other local bison from the Buffalo community. Those selfsame creatures will, likewise, also bully other local bison. Therefore, it can be said:

"Buffalo buffalo, which Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo." Or, more succinctly,

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!"

Nyah!

My head hurts now....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Might read better if there was an "It was because..." in front of the "You kept her..."
It looks as if Paul has already so'ed up the problem.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
It looks as if Paul has already so'ed up the problem.
So I see. ;)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Not the first time Pablo has crowdsourced editing for the comic.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:

Yeah, I know that. I even remember that someone had that as his signature, for a while...

But that applies to vocabulary, not grammar... :P
I read it the very first time it was said.

It was a post by James Nicoll, in the old Rec.Arts.SFFandom news group. And he typo'd it the first time - he typed "riffle" instead of "rifle". {Which actually makes as much sense, but wasn't the verb he wanted.}

{BTW: Cally Soukop's List of Nicoll Events - ""The inside of a fireball is a lovely place..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote:Not the first time Pablo has crowdsourced editing for the comic.
And it's always an pleasure and an honor to help. It's nice to know one has contributed, however slightly, to such a masterpiece.

Makes me feel all warm and tingly inside (no, I did not just eat gagh - which, as we all know, is best eaten live...)
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Welp, nother ship to add to my plate.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Next is when she drops the bomb about not hitting on pickles boyfriend
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

To quote the webcomic Sheldon "The English language was carefully, carefully cobbled together by three blind dudes and a German dictionary...it's the rock-soup of languages"
Vive la weird!
AnotherFairportfan

JSStryker wrote:

To quote the webcomic Sheldon "The English language was carefully, carefully cobbled together by three blind dudes and a German dictionary...it's the rock-soup of languages"
Nah.
English is the result of Norse sailors trying to pick up Saxon barmaids.

And it's just like all the other results of such transactions.
and one not SPECIFICALLY referencing English:
A Language is a dialect with an army and a navy.
Storel

Post by Storel »

A "so" in a different place would also have worked: "You kept her, and everyone else, so organized that that didn't happen!"
AnotherFairportfan

Storel wrote:A "so" in a different place would also have worked: "You kept her, and everyone else, so organized that that didn't happen!"
I didn't think of that.

It has a different shade of meaning from my suggestion, but it's equally valid.