Thank You 2018-06-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Thank You 2018-06-04

Post by jwhouk »

TheCollector wrote:Welp, nother ship to add to my plate.
You wouldn't happen to go by the name "FayeLovesBubbles" on a certain other forum, would you?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

JSStryker wrote:To quote the webcomic Sheldon "The English language was carefully, carefully cobbled together by three blind dudes and a German dictionary...it's the rock-soup of languages"
That's unusually imprecise for Sheldon - he failed to mention that the three blind dudes were drunk and the German dictionary was stoned.
English is the result of Norse sailors trying to pick up Saxon barmaids.

And it's just like all the other results of such transactions.
It isn't that simple. It's the result of Roman soldiers trying to pick up Celtic barmaids, Saxon soldiers trying to pick up their daughters, Norse sailors trying to pick up their daughters, and Norse-French soldiers trying to pick up their daughters.

English is rather unusual in another sense - just try to find a bunch of native speakers of French, or Japanese, or Arabic, or pretty much any other language, trading descriptions of just how impure those languages are.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Looking at the comic again, I can't help but be amazed at the extent of Daylla's hair... How much fixative does she use, to keep it in place like that? Especially the part that extends forward and off to the side? (Did she get hair styling tips from Atsali?)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Regarding the sources of English, I recently saw a critique of French. They said to learn Spanish, then learn Italian. Subtract the Italian from Spanish and you're left with French!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

A couple of characters {in more ways than one} in on of "Manning Coleen's" novels speak native-level Spanish and French: when in Italy they get along quite well and that Spanish words with French endings...

{...or maybe the other way round - been a LOT of years since i last read that one.}

Since one of the authors was a British Intelligence officer who had successfully passed as a citizen of all three countries - and of Germany during World War One, I'm inclined to believe that it would probably work.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Just remember what they always say about English:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
Yeah, I know that. I even remember that someone had that as his signature, for a while...

But that applies to vocabulary, not grammar... :P

... English grammar is no better.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

A large part of the problem with English grammar is its vocabulary not all coming from the same source, especially the verbs. The Germanic verbs conjugate differently than the Latinate ones and the Greek are also completely different, and then there are the ones from the various Native American tribes, and Far East languages incorporated in the 20th Century. English English is bad enough, but American English adds several layers of complexity.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:A large part of the problem with English grammar is its vocabulary not all coming from the same source, especially the verbs. The Germanic verbs conjugate differently than the Latinate ones and the Greek are also completely different, and then there are the ones from the various Native American tribes, and Far East languages incorporated in the 20th Century. English English is bad enough, but American English adds several layers of complexity.
Most of my brother's translators gripe about his habit of verbing nouns {English being one of the few languages where such is more-or-less acceptable - unlike, say, Italian, French, Spanish...}

His German translator just smiles and gets on with inventing compound words to fit...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Atomic wrote:Regarding the sources of English, I recently saw a critique of French. They said to learn Spanish, then learn Italian. Subtract the Italian from Spanish and you're left with French!
I've also heard, from people who speak all three languages, that if you read Spanish as if it were French you are speaking something close enough to really bad Portuguese to be mostly comprehensible.

(But then, the only people in Spain who speak Spanish are immigrants and tourists. The four official languages are Castillian, Catalan, Galician, and Basque - the latter being the only one that isn't a Romance language, for that matter it isn't even Indo-European. Meanwhile, linguists agree that Galician, North Portuguese, and South Portuguese are two dialects of one language and a second language, but they can't decide whether the odd one out is Galician or South Portuguese.)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler wrote:Looking at the comic again, I can't help but be amazed at the extent of Daylla's hair... How much fixative does she use, to keep it in place like that? Especially the part that extends forward and off to the side? (Did she get hair styling tips from Atsali?)

I could be wrong, but isn't Daylla the Metallic one? If so, her hair...
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Looking at the comic again, I can't help but be amazed at the extent of Daylla's hair... How much fixative does she use, to keep it in place like that? Especially the part that extends forward and off to the side? (Did she get hair styling tips from Atsali?)
I could be wrong, but isn't Daylla the Metallic one? If so, her hair...
Yep.

You've run across the slang term for stylists, "hairbender"?

Even most stylists don't know it, but it originated among Daylla's para race...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You definitely don't want to be around Daylla when she does a hair flip.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin