On the Clock 2018-05-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

On the Clock 2018-05-28

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jeffepp

Re: On the Clock 2018-05-28

Post by jeffepp »

We've gone gams!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And Digit would be very happy!

And well done, too! I can barely see a difference between ink and screen. Backgrounds are getting more elaborate as well!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I see quite a bit of difference. The digital looks a lot more polished - in the sense that the (recent) old stuff looks polished in a few critical places, while the new stuff looks like it has the same level of attention in more places.

And when you consider that the "undo" button works a lot better and more precisely than an eraser, this makes a lot of sense.

Also... layers. Anyone who has tried to do digital art, even me as lousy as I am at it, should appreciate layers. Put every thing on its own layer, and it's really easy to move something slightly relative to something else, or change its size slightly...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Ok mom, your supposed to be setting the example not following the eldest daughter clueless example for petes sake.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

"Aren't you going to ravish me?"
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

That is not "illegally short". To be illegal the skirt nust both ride higher than the genitals and the wearer must also not be wearing garments that cover said genitals. Hmpff :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:That is not "illegally short". To be illegal the skirt nust both ride higher than the genitals and the wearer must also not be wearing garments that cover said genitals. Hmpff :ugeek:
Quit arguing with the lady.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:That is not "illegally short". To be illegal the skirt nust both ride higher than the genitals and the wearer must also not be wearing garments that cover said genitals. Hmpff :ugeek:
Besides, in just a moment all those conditions may be met...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Maybe i'm seeing a difference because i KNOW there is a difference, but the digital art seems to look a little more sharp/hard edged
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

I'm just glad to see we are all back on the clock, even if the page is off the clock... ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Considering your current avatar, AFPF, that statement is definitely appropriate.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

TazManiac wrote:
Besides, in just a moment all those conditions may be met...
Approach the subject of your affections, kneel in front and place your palms flat on the front surface of her thighs.

Slide gently upwards and as your fingers encounter the hemline, begin to rotate your hands around to the back side, grasping gently, but firmly, as you reach the anchor point.

At this time you should be presented with a clear field to maneuver in, as the bunched up material gathered around your wrists allows access to your objective.

It would seem obvious the appropriate thing to do at this time would be a vigorous and attentive 'Nom Nom Nom'...

Vive la Difference
Dave

Post by Dave »

Looking at today's strip from another angle, though...

Kath doesn't care for the Library.

I imagine this dates back at least to her Big Adventure at Mapimi: the Library seemed to be quite willing to manipulate people (Kath, Atsali, Lily and Suzi, Bud, etc.) and put lives at risk, for its own somewhat-inscrutable reasons. She saw the Library casually discard Atsali, plughing her back to the orphanage as soon as it had what it had wanted (the memories of the Ethetian civilization) without so much as a proper debrief (the poor kid really deserve some good post-action trauma counseling in addition to a lot of thanks).

Bud hates going to the Library ("bureaucratic hell-hole").

Although Phix spent eons in the Library, she obviously doesn't fully understand it... she was shocked when the Library spoke to her and to Nudge and gave them both their freedom as co-librarians.

Even Tsillah (who played an active role in the Mapimi manipulations) came to distrust the Library later when she saw it using people (Atsali, Nadette, and her mother Thymbris) as tools and pawns.

Now, Kath has seen her daughter Castela (and friends) go into what turned out to be a dangerous situation... one where the Library was supposed to protect them, and maybe didn't do so. And, they managed to do some good for a system that the Library is involved with... the World Grid.

I wonder whether Kath suspects that the Library has been up to its old tricks... "setting up" innocent mortals to achieve the Library's goals, with little concern for their well-being, in order to further its own purposes. If so, that's the third time her girls have been pwned. "Once is chance, twice is coincidence, the time is enemy action."

We know Kath can be a fierce "momma bear" when it comes to her adoptive daughters.

So... is she about to take on the Library?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

How do you take on something that can't be adequately described, nor can be quantified or contained?
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:How do you take on something that can't be adequately described, nor can be quantified or contained?
That's a good question, for which I have no particularly good answer. Perhaps the best that can be done is to increase the para community's overall awareness of the Library's manipulations, in the hope of helping others avoid being manipulated.

The Library may be protecting the Earth against visitations and interference by the Old Gods, but it sometimes seems to behave rather as the Greek gods were often portrayed... manipulative, and uncaring about many of those being manipulated. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be embodying itself in a mortal shape, seducing or raping mortal women, or acting out with vanity and petty jealousy and anger as the Gods and Goddesses were prone to do.

(The Library's goals may be good ones from a human point of view, in many cases... but it'd be nice if it were to inform and ask rather than manipulate. If I recall correctly, that was one of Monica's big gripes to Phix... she get that Phix and others were manipulating her in secret, rather than telling her the truth.)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave brings up good points. Reminds me of old Star Trek episodes...