Pretty Satisfying 2018-05-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

Pretty Satisfying 2018-05-17

Post by Cheesy1 »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/pretty-satisfying/

And Luci is a math nerd as well.
ChattaStarhawk

Re: Pretty Satisfying 2018-05-17

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

"Boys, I think we have a keeper..."
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

There was no doubt in my mind that she would fangirl extra hard over Pickle evaporating rocks with her bare hands!
Dave

Post by Dave »

A rockin' expression of power!

I've been going through the same sort of mental exercise that Luci is now working. I haven't been able to figure out any reasonable sort of biological or chemical reaction that could be powering Castela's blaster beams. Even if she were to burn up her entire body mass in the reaction (and clearly she is not) there's just not enough energy available from chemical reactants to create the sort of blasts she's clearly capable of delivering. She isn't showing any signs of overheating (or radiating enough heat that others notice it) so her efficiency must be incredibly high.

So, it's either purely magic, or it's a "sufficiently advanced technology", like the galaxy alternators, or whatever powered the Chimera and still powers Bud and Brandi. Tapping the vacuum energy, maybe?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Happy Castela is happy.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Maybe she can scare the neighborhood dogs away from our yard, so we can properly patch it and mow it without getting stuck in a hole.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I don't know about Granite, but the calculations have been done for "the hapless Sci-Fi movie extra being zapped by a space alien ray gun."

Scroll down to "For Example."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Luci is so many things, a nerd, math wiz, one of us...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Quick, someone call Randall Monroe!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

My theory and it has no official standing is that her power source is magically enhanced photosynthesis thus why she was partially plant based. Nearly 100% efficient conversion process would yield enough energy to power both a personal force field and the energy blasts. So like a Kryptonian she is solar powered. This would also explain why she did not exhibit these powers till roughly her teen years, it took time to store enough power internally to allow for the excess to be used. It also begs one to wonder how many other powers she will develop as more time goes by.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:A rockin' expression of power!

I've been going through the same sort of mental exercise that Luci is now working. I haven't been able to figure out any reasonable sort of biological or chemical reaction that could be powering Castela's blaster beams. Even if she were to burn up her entire body mass in the reaction (and clearly she is not) there's just not enough energy available from chemical reactants to create the sort of blasts she's clearly capable of delivering. She isn't showing any signs of overheating (or radiating enough heat that others notice it) so her efficiency must be incredibly high.

So, it's either purely magic, or it's a "sufficiently advanced technology", like the galaxy alternators, or whatever powered the Chimera and still powers Bud and Brandi. Tapping the vacuum energy, maybe?
It might be stored in the same sort of place as Shelly and Atsali store their extra mass when they're not using it, or where Bud keeps her friends when protecting them from nuclear meltdowns.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That One Website has a term called "Hammerspace" for items that come out of nowhere. I would suggest that things like Castela's power source, Bud's storage compartment, and whatnot should be considered "Wapsispace" for our purposes.

---

DISCLAIMER: The poster utilized a link to a website known by the state of Arizona to be highly addicting. It is suggested that you set a time limit after clicking on the link, or you may get lost forever in an unending circle of "Oh, I didn't know that" and "Oh, I remember that one" reactions to each page. Please proceed with caution.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

oldmanmickey wrote:My theory and it has no official standing is that her power source is magically enhanced photosynthesis thus why she was partially plant based. Nearly 100% efficient conversion process would yield enough energy to power both a personal force field and the energy blasts. So like a Kryptonian she is solar powered. This would also explain why she did not exhibit these powers till roughly her teen years, it took time to store enough power internally to allow for the excess to be used. It also begs one to wonder how many other powers she will develop as more time goes by.
The solar constant is only about 1361 watts per square meter, with less than 1200 watts per square meter reaching the surface. Even with 100% efficiency that's not all that much... it would require a very long "soak time" to store up enough power to vaporize even a coffee cup.

And, where/how would it be stored? Normal photosynthesis uses the energy to construct carbohydrates, which have a limited energy content per gram and must be "burned" to release the energy for use.

Magic (natural, or the tech equivalent) of some nature does seem to be required.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Calista (aka Cricket) did say that there was Fae stuff that went into making Castela. Of course, we all know from Arthur C. Clarke about "sufficiently advanced technology" and all that...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

oldmanmickey wrote:My theory and it has no official standing is that her power source is magically enhanced photosynthesis thus why she was partially plant based. Nearly 100% efficient conversion process would yield enough energy to power both a personal force field and the energy blasts. So like a Kryptonian she is solar powered. This would also explain why she did not exhibit these powers till roughly her teen years, it took time to store enough power internally to allow for the excess to be used. It also begs one to wonder how many other powers she will develop as more time goes by.
Time scale is a bit off, but this is an avenue that might be worth exploring. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/something-bad/ :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Considering, IIRC, that the World Grid is powered by the relative motion of mass in the galaxy, our little not-so-potted plant could be doing the same thing even using something like tapping the Moon's relative motion to Earth.
When it comes to energy the statement "It's raining soup, what we need is a bucket!" comes to mind.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

sheik wrote:Considering, IIRC, that the World Grid is powered by the relative motion of mass in the galaxy, our little not-so-potted plant could be doing the same thing even using something like tapping the Moon's relative motion to Earth.
When it comes to energy the statement "It's raining soup, what we need is a bucket!" comes to mind.
I thought the WG was powered by a network of Vimana cells. The stresses that triggered a global seismic/volcanic catastrophe happened when the last one was put in place. Dave and I hypothesized that a properly functioning Vimana runs on an “Island of Stability” element of extreme atomic mass, to account for the immense amount of energy they output from such a small device. Basically, a tiny but very powerful and very efficient nuclear reactor.

I believe the Chimera, Golems, and the Calendar Machine were built to harness the galactic angular momentum - the Calendar Machine seemed to accidentally Zeno Lock the whole Galaxy or something. Golems do seem to be capable of plugging into vimanas as an auxiliary power source, as Jin did to rectify her simulated mental illness.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It never occurred to me before to think much about the term hammerspace, and reading it a little while ago, it dawned on me almost immediately, without actually looking up anything about the term, that it just might have something to do with where a lot of old cartoon characters suddenly pull hammers (or other objects) from thin air.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:The solar constant is only about 1361 watts per square meter, with less than 1200 watts per square meter reaching the surface. Even with 100% efficiency that's not all that much... it would require a very long "soak time" to store up enough power to vaporize even a coffee cup.

And, where/how would it be stored? Normal photosynthesis uses the energy to construct carbohydrates, which have a limited energy content per gram and must be "burned" to release the energy for use.

Magic (natural, or the tech equivalent) of some nature does seem to be required.
Though given the number of portals, pocket universes, and wormholes that have been shown or mentioned, Castela could theoretically have millions of square miles of vines somewhere, soaking up energy from a very high energy sunshine. Not that that is too likely, of course.
GlytchMeister wrote:
sheik wrote:Considering, IIRC, that the World Grid is powered by the relative motion of mass in the galaxy, our little not-so-potted plant could be doing the same thing even using something like tapping the Moon's relative motion to Earth.
I thought the WG was powered by a network of Vimana cells. The stresses that triggered a global seismic/volcanic catastrophe happened when the last one was put in place. Dave and I hypothesized that a properly functioning Vimana runs on an “Island of Stability” element of extreme atomic mass, to account for the immense amount of energy they output from such a small device. Basically, a tiny but very powerful and very efficient nuclear reactor.

I believe the Chimera, Golems, and the Calendar Machine were built to harness the galactic angular momentum - the Calendar Machine seemed to accidentally Zeno Lock the whole Galaxy or something. Golems do seem to be capable of plugging into vimanas as an auxiliary power source, as Jin did to rectify her simulated mental illness.
Yeah, the world grid is powered by or triggered by the vimana cells, which somehow harness plutonium. The Calendar Machine and the golems were galactic-rotation powered, though Jin has been switched over to vimana powered. And Monica is custard powered, or something like that.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, Monica has Phoenix blood. Something different.

Oh, and in case y'all didn't get the memo from Pablo, he has essentially said that Monica is no longer the main character of Wapsi Square.