Guard dogs 2012-10-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Guard dogs 2012-10-29

Post by zachariah »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:
Dr. Otter wrote:♪♫♪There she goes, just a walkin' down the street,
♪♫♪Singin' doo-wah-diddy-diddy-dum-diddy-do...♪♫♪
Glad to know I wasn't the only one that had that song pop into my head upon seeing today's strip. LOL
Acutally I would lean towards 'These boots are made for walking'
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

"Mee-e-e and my shadows..."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NebulousRikulau

Post by NebulousRikulau »

The Old Wolf wrote:The vampirettes seem to have a good idea that they can do something. I suppose if you're already part of the demon realm, they can do plenty. Remains to be seen.
More like, the remains wouldn't be seen.

I was hearing something more like...

Here she comes,
walking down the street,
the top-heaviest predator
that you'll ever meet!

Hey, hey! She's the Jaguar!
Her Demons are just prowling around.
They''re too busy scowling
to bother chasing vampires down.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

On a side note: Just had a 'small' 6 ft. long branch crash in my yard and its not too breezy. Good thing I moved "Bessy".
Everybody stay warm,dry and safe especially you East Coasters. ;)
eee

Post by eee »

jwhouk wrote:So - is that supposed to be a new-and-improved Vanity on Monica's left?
Could be. Or it could be Fear. Aside from Doubt we really haven't had much contact with Monica's demons, it's hard to tell them apart. Especially since they seem to change appearance a lot...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:So - is that supposed to be a new-and-improved Vanity on Monica's left?
Life's been rough for her since she split with Prince....
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

NOTDilbert wrote:Oh Lord, what's she mad about now? She's got the 'gunslinger' look in her eye again (to say nothing of her, uh, 'staff').

i am glad i am not the only one that see that, the look in their eyes... looks like there ready to eat and or tear someone up and throw away the soul as kindling for the fire
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:
Glad to know I wasn't the only one that had that song pop into my head upon seeing today's strip. LOL
me.. I had this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnBXrw-4AI
analyst

Post by analyst »

zachariah wrote:This would have been amazing as a full color panel. Still great in gray scale but it could a been so much more.
Agreed, and goodness knows, Pablo has more talent for drawing in his little finger than I do in my whole body, but I would have liked to have seen Monica a little less obscured by flames, after all, she's the heroin(e) of the strip, and my drug of choice. I gotta have my daily fix. (c8
"He can knock me down,
Step on my face,
Slander my name all over the place,
do anything that he wants to do,
as long as he keeps drawing Monica and crew."
L. V. Sparsely
Let me just swipe my debit card and the pun-vault can take out what it determines is the penalty/fee for the above.
Edited to fix HTML
liquidschwartz

Post by liquidschwartz »

The paparazzi ain't getting by those two!!
liquidschwartz

Post by liquidschwartz »

Ohnhai wrote:
Stigmartyr762 wrote:
me.. I had this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnBXrw-4AI

Or this:
Shrekless

Post by Shrekless »

I guess I'm the only one who thinks she looks like a short General Armstrong.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 80-720.jpg
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Shrekless wrote:I guess I'm the only one who thinks she looks like a short General Armstrong.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 80-720.jpg
Passed down the Villareal family line for generations!
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

chaotik74 wrote:this maybe a silly question, but what, if anything, can Monica's personal demons actually DO other than look spooky?
Well, based on their names, I would say that "Doubt" at the very least, could seriously erode your confidence to the point of wanting to run away. And we have seen what a sphinx can do physically; which would be unnecessary if demons couldn't do anything physical--so i am guessing that demons can get physical with other demons/supernaturals.

And if monica is "the Demon shepherd" (not just "A demon shepherd" ), she could probably summon all the demons necessary to seriously eff you up. In other words, the vampire might not know how many demons it would take to whoop her behind, but she knew how many they were going to use. (apologies to Ron White)
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

meisdadoo wrote:
chaotik74 wrote:this maybe a silly question, but what, if anything, can Monica's personal demons actually DO other than look spooky?
Well, based on their names, I would say that "Doubt" at the very least, could seriously erode your confidence to the point of wanting to run away. And we have seen what a sphinx can do physically; which would be unnecessary if demons couldn't do anything physical--so i am guessing that demons can get physical with other demons/supernaturals.

And if monica is "the Demon shepherd" (not just "A demon shepherd" ), she could probably summon all the demons necessary to seriously eff you up. In other words, the vampire might not know how many demons it would take to whoop her behind, but she knew how many they were going to use. (apologies to Ron White)
Monica's demons are Her demons - incarnations of her own doubts, fears, vanity, pride, panic, lust, etc. Specifically, Doubt challenges her many times, ranging from not trust others to remembering if she locked the front door. In the end, she has an epiphany: "If I don't do everything they want, exactly as they say, they become completely, totally, ... harmless!"

Many story links are possible, but I don't have time for a quick archive crawl. Happy demon hunting!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

This page was all of the epic I could have hoped for and then some. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Atomic wrote:
meisdadoo wrote:

Monica's demons are Her demons - incarnations of her own doubts, fears, vanity, pride, panic, lust, etc. Specifically, Doubt challenges her many times, ranging from not trust others to remembering if she locked the front door. In the end, she has an epiphany: "If I don't do everything they want, exactly as they say, they become completely, totally, ... harmless!"

Many story links are possible, but I don't have time for a quick archive crawl. Happy demon hunting!
Thing is, Monica's demons are beings who have been around, literally, forever and resident demons to many before her. In fact they can be demon to more than one being simultaneously. So the question becomes, does the host shape the specific behavior of the demon, or does the demon shape the behavior of the host(s)? Since the demon came first, I would suspect it is the host who is shaped by the demon. My point being, her demons are not really incarnations of her doubts, fears, etc. but that they simply use her specific doubts and the like to influence her. Apparently, however, each prefers to specialize in a given emotion, meaning her Doubt would be the Doubt for another person as well.

Also, Tina indicated her demons could kill Shelly in an instant should the need arise. I suspect they could kill humans as well, but are restrained on penalty of death by sphinx. It appears non humans are fair game so the vampires were probably in physical danger from Monica's demons.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Bathorys Daughter - One quick reply before I expect to lose power (Hurricane and such):

One epic episode in Monica's life revealed (though Tina and Jin) that the demons are both personalized and incarnate entities. Specifically, a time while out clubbing with Jin, Tina, Bud, and Shelly. Jin's demons and Monica's demons started goading their respective hosts while comparing notes. Tina intervened and held them accountable, it that demon law prevents them from coordinating attacks on those they "haunt." Later, after the Calendar Machine is destroyed, taking with it one particularly lawless demon who had haunted Monica, Doubt used the incident to get an amendment to demon law -- she can now physically flick M on the nose in the Bad Dog! sort of way.

At any rate, Wapsiverse demons are very much Schrodinger's cat-like. They're entities bound to a being, who might haunt several beings, but may not play those beings against each other, directly or indirectly. I agree with you that each demon probably has the same aspect (doubt, fear, etc) for the various hosts. Tina's collective are highly cooperative and motivated toward her late corporeal self, and Shelly has a mortal collective for herself (creepy little girl), so there are plenty of variations. I suspect in the case of Creepy, their collective will dissolve when Shelly dies (they "die with her") and resume their individual aspects.

At least, that's my take on the situation.

Over two inches of rain and 40 mph winds. No power flickers yet, but soon, no doubt!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:
At any rate, Wapsiverse demons are very much Schrodinger's cat-like. They're entities bound to a being, who might haunt several beings, but may not play those beings against each other, directly or indirectly. I agree with you that each demon probably has the same aspect (doubt, fear, etc) for the various hosts. Tina's collective are highly cooperative and motivated toward her late corporeal self, and Shelly has a mortal collective for herself (creepy little girl), so there are plenty of variations. I suspect in the case of Creepy, their collective will dissolve when Shelly dies (they "die with her") and resume their individual aspects.
I believe that it has been mentioned that when (if ever) Shelly dies Connie will die with her and not recycle. So it looks like since she is the fusion of demon collective and human soul she is now an new life form and no longer a demon collective at all.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Tina 1.0's demons were punished for hurting Monica by losing their memory. Tina2.5 has a basic, instinctive, understanding of what the rules are. Tina herself has said that she can influence humans, but cannot directly cause them physical harm on penalty of death. Tina 1.0's demon collective effectively died the day Monica was killed the first time. The demon ban on causing direct harm other beings seems only to apply to humans. Tina seemed to believe that Shelly's Sphinx blood made her fair game as a non human, and that her human blood made her suseptible to a suggestion to die.

Of course, that was before any of them knew that Shelly was also a Titan. Bia seemed to be saying that Shelly couldn't die when she said that she would live through things that would make her wish for death.

Anyway, the upshot seems to be that humans are about the only beings we know of that are specificlly off limits to demons, from a direct, physical harm stand point. Specs' reaction implies that the law of the Jungle is in full effect for everyone else. And Monica has been told that because of her training, she has control over her demons, even if they get greater influence over her as a trade off.

Or to put it even more simply, if you're not human, Monica has the abillity to sic a pack of supernatural predators on your @$$ if you really pi$$ her off.

No wonder Eyrale is nervous around her.