Stately And Refined 2018-05-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Akeche

Re: Stately And Refined 2018-05-03

Post by Akeche »

Just Old Al wrote:
Akeche wrote:Yeesh, no warning for this page?

I gotta admit it's hard to like/relate to a character when they're shown to be like that and supposedly -recently- enough for little Castela to have seen it.
Have to say that I see Paul's point here. A predator is a predator, and yanno what that's part of the package. At least she's tidy about it. Respect is the name of that game - respect the boundaries and you don't end up a canape. The Wapsiverse has never been a fluffy-bunny hugs and puppies kind of place.

As far as liking or relating to the character - I find it gives them much more depth - and depth is good in any literary endeavour.
None of that makes any sense though.

If there are modern movies of monstrous creatures that have found ways to integrate into society without going all bloodlust, I find it hard to believe the paranormal community hasn't simply shifted to other things. Is there some instinctual thing which requires the Sphinx to murder someone? Could it simply be lab grown meat if they do, for some reason, need the flesh of a sentient creature? If that isn't the thing. What about animals instead, livestock isn't exactly hard to get.

Just some of how things go down in this comic makes me think the humans that had Atsali's parents targeted, and wanted to create Castela, maybe had The Right Idea and I'm surprised they haven't literally nuked the more dangerous of the lot.

But as I've said elsewhere. I kind of liked things when they weren't on such a supposedly "cosmic" scale. It's harder and harder to relate to the characters, and no matter how sweet or "have a cookie" she can be. Phix just can't be related to because she lacks the will to resist her instincts.
jwhouk

Re: Stately And Refined 2018-05-03

Post by jwhouk »

...I redact that statement.

Billens met me in the lot at work and told me if I ever posted something like that again, he'd show me what he did to Hector before he killed him.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin