Always Loved 2018-05-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Always Loved 2018-05-02

Post by jwhouk »

I'm pretty sure Miss Annie doesn't sound like Alex Kingston.

Aside: this does explain why everyone in the Wapsiverse uses the term "Sweetie" so much.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Okay but Phix's face in the second panel, that blush, her stammering, her practically not wanting them to go, Phix is SO immediately into Luci.

And really if you ask me it makes sense. I mean lets be honest here, when is the last time Phix has EVER met anyone who wasn't initially terrified of her? Especially when she does the whole Sphinx of the library I smell a human thing.

And then here's Luci who there's not even a single moment of fear from, just instant fangirling basically.

I mean Phix has been around for like eons or something, and I doubt that has ever happened to her. She's so used to people being scared of her and then this happens <3
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:I'm pretty sure Miss Annie doesn't sound like Alex Kingston.

... actually, she can...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I'm pretty sure Miss Annie doesn't sound like Alex Kingston.
... actually, she can...
Having had the pleasure of conversing with the young lady in question I can easily see it.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...I'm at a loss for words at the moment.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Then perhaps you should find a dictionary or a thesaurus? I hear those two books are full of them, so you could take your pick.

"Shenanigans" is one of my personal favorites. Mellifluous is another good one.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote:Then perhaps you should find a dictionary or a thesaurus? I hear those two books are full of them, so you could take your pick.
Also anything by Solzhenitsyn, Tolstoy, Robert Jordan...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Warrl wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Then perhaps you should find a dictionary or a thesaurus? I hear those two books are full of them, so you could take your pick.
A copy of The Complete Works of Leo Tolstoy, with analytical annotations by Solzhenitsyn and with a forward by Jordan?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
David Eddings . . .

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

FreeFlier wrote:
Warrl wrote:
David Eddings . . .

--FreeFlier
Or whoever it was that wrote all those Army field manuals in the 1940's and 1950's...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:Also anything by Solzhenitsyn, Tolstoy, Robert Jordan...
FreeFlier wrote:David Eddings . . .
jwhouk wrote:Or whoever it was that wrote all those Army field manuals in the 1940's and 1950's...
Manuals are in a different class . . . you would not believe the sheer concentrated stupid the author has to fend off.

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote:Manuals are in a different class . . . you would not believe the sheer concentrated stupid the author has to fend off.
A fun exercise: trying writing instructions on how to tie shoelaces, in such a way that there is no ambiguity or room for misunderstanding.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:A fun exercise: trying writing instructions on how to tie shoelaces, in such a way that there is no ambiguity or room for misunderstanding.
Emergency Appendectomy 302

In this class, students will learn to carry out all phases of an emergency appendectomy under field conditions, from initial triage through wound closure and post-surgical care.

Prerequisites:

• Basic Knot Tying 101
  • Whetstones and Razor Blades 103
  • Medical Uses of Indigenous Plants 204
  • Cotton
  • Cotton!
  • COTTON!!!!

In the interest of efficiency and to ensure full understanding of all materials, students will periodically switch roles, acting as chief surgeon, assistant, circulating nurse, and patient.

Instructors: Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:A fun exercise: trying writing instructions on how to tie shoelaces, in such a way that there is no ambiguity or room for misunderstanding.
Emergency Appendectomy 302

In this class, students will learn to carry out all phases of an emergency appendectomy under field conditions, from initial triage through wound closure and post-surgical care.

Prerequisites:

• Basic Knot Tying 101
  • Whetstones and Razor Blades 103
  • Medical Uses of Indigenous Plants 204
  • Cotton
  • Cotton!
  • COTTON!!!!

In the interest of efficiency and to ensure full understanding of all materials, students will periodically switch roles, acting as chief surgeon, assistant, circulating nurse, and patient.

Instructors: Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.
Attending/Instructor: Dr. Hackenbush
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Manuals are in a different class . . . you would not believe the sheer concentrated stupid the author has to fend off.
A fun exercise: trying writing instructions on how to tie shoelaces, in such a way that there is no ambiguity or room for misunderstanding.
For a military training exercise (NCO Professional Development), the project was to develop and present a training session on some apparently simple process. I chose setting a clock to the correct time. Outline, goals, sequence, comparison to standard, safety, etc etc.

And the guy got it wrong.

Bleah!

I summarized by pointing out how well he had properly avoided injury from the slightly pointy corners and had not dropped it on his foot. This got me some points for effective feedback.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I had a guy close his eyes and ask me to give him simple instructions to keep us hurtling down the highway...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

John W Campbell once wrote an editorial on the problems of artificial intelligence {decades before that term came in to vogue - since i remember it being in "Astounding", not "Analog", it had to be pre-1960).

he said {more or less}:
You are training a humanoid robot that speaks and understands English perfectly, but has no knowledge of the physical world.

Now, using only words - not visual aids - explain to that robot how to put on and button a dress shirt, and to put on and knot a necktie.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote:
While I haven't literally done that one, some similar things are part of my job.

I'm told I do it fairly well . . . :roll:

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote:While I haven't literally done that one, some similar things are part of my job.

I'm told I do it fairly well . . . :roll:
"Part 1: How to Write Clear and Simple Instructions
Part 2: How to Follow Clear and Simple Instructions"
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

One of my favorite episodes was having one of the chief nitpickers (that was his job: making sure we could have the work done by almost anyone) look through a first-review document and say "Well, as much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to pass this one."

Straight through on the first try.

Several other people were very annoyed.

--FreeFlier