Where Did You Go 2018-04-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

Where Did You Go 2018-04-20

Post by Cheesy1 »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/where-did-you-go-2/

Ouch, so Timmy was the twin who didn't make it in the other universe.
Opus the Poet

Re: Where Did You Go 2018-04-20

Post by Opus the Poet »

daylla apologizing for her ballistic re-entry.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

I think I saw this on .......... The TWILIGHT ZONE ! and Out of the Shadows steps Rod Serling and Digit says "Sir, You cannot SMOKE on School Property." :lol:
Thor

Post by Thor »

Cheesy1 wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/where-did-you-go-2/

Not necessarily. Just because he wasn't at the school doesn't mean he didn't exist.

The big question is why the height difference between Dustin and Timmy?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Thor wrote:

Not necessarily. Just because he wasn't at the school doesn't mean he didn't exist.

Fraternal twins can have major differences well beyond height.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote:

True. On the other hand, Daylla-1 did refer to Timmy by description ("I mean, you resemble and kinda sound like a friend of mine, but he's super-short and, well, alive!") and Dustin didn't respond in a way which suggested that he recognized the description at all (e.g. "Sure, you know my brother Timmy... of course you do!").

Also, there was no direct or indirect evidence that Timmy was at the ghost-recording session that Dustin attended... we didn't see him there and nobody referred to him.

Not definitive either way, it's true. We have no evidence at all that Timmy exists in Dustin's universe, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Several possibilities:
  • They could be fraternal twins - genetically just brothers - and as different as any to brothers might be. Fairly common.
  • They might be fraternal half-brother twins... same mother, different fathers. This is not unknown in humans and is relatively common in some animals, where the woman/female mates with two or more partners and becomes pregnant simultaneously by more than one. We don't know enough about the sociology and biology of Timmy's and Dustin's species to estimate the likeliness of this.
  • Timmy's mother might have been ill during pregnancy... something which resulted in the miscarriage or stillbirth of one twin, and affected the health or vigor the other. Timmy might literally be the runt of the litter.
  • Combination of the second and third. One pregnancy, two fathers with different blood types, something like an Rh incompatibility reaction by the mother's immune system which kills one fetus and stunts the growth of the other.
  • Authorial necessity... Paul needed a way of visually indicating that the two are related but distinct.
    ;)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:The big question is why the height difference between Dustin and Timmy?
"...and Danny DeVito as Timothy."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Thor wrote:The big question is why the height difference between Dustin and Timmy?
"...and Danny DeVito as Timothy."
Not sure that works... Timothy isn't a spheniscimorph.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: . . .
Several possibilities:
  • They could be fraternal twins - genetically just brothers - and as different as any to brothers might be. Fairly common.
  • They might be fraternal half-brother twins... same mother, different fathers. This is not unknown in humans and is relatively common in some animals, where the woman/female mates with two or more partners and becomes pregnant simultaneously by more than one. We don't know enough about the sociology and biology of Timmy's and Dustin's species to estimate the likeliness of this.
  • Timmy's mother might have been ill during pregnancy... something which resulted in the miscarriage or stillbirth of one twin, and affected the health or vigor the other. Timmy might literally be the runt of the litter.
  • Combination of the second and third. One pregnancy, two fathers with different blood types, something like an Rh incompatibility reaction by the mother's immune system which kills one fetus and stunts the growth of the other.
  • Authorial necessity... Paul needed a way of visually indicating that the two are related but distinct.
    ;)
They also could be semi-identical twins.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:They also could be semi-identical twins.
Very interesting - thanks! That's an aspect of twinning that I don't think I'd ever heard of, or considered.