Another time then 2012-10-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Another time then 2012-10-26

Post by Yamara »

jwhouk wrote:"There are no bad guys?"

"Just you and me, kid."

(Bonus points for anyone who can find the strip where that's said.)

Oo, I like points.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/justus/

Though M and Jin are discussing the secret plans surrounding the Calendar Machine, not the entire Wapsiverse. There were Lanthian priests, and Hitler, after all.

Though suggesting that M is a bad guy is very relevant considering...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/neverknowinglylie/

And for bonus worries:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/beatsfacecream/
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

jwhouk wrote:As we've seen that Pablo likes to play around with mythology, I suspect there might be another reason why M's demons want to keep these two at arm's length.

They get one sip of that Phoenix blood, and...

And that vamp goes up like a roman candle...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

My2Cents wrote: How else can you explain a hairless, clawless, fangless, biped becoming the apex predator on the planet.
Thumbs. ;) (re: FOOTFALL)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
jwhouk wrote:As we've seen that Pablo likes to play around with mythology, I suspect there might be another reason why M's demons want to keep these two at arm's length.

Would Mon's guard-demons care about that? Not necessarily; in fact, they'd probably enjoy watching something like that happen.
No, if they're going to keep vampires from drinking Mon's blood, it's because they don't want the leeches to benefit from it - perhaps the same way Mon benefits from it. We don't know how vampires are killed in this universe yet; sunlight obviously doesn't do it, but perhaps something more drastic would (the classic beheading, silver exposure, or stake-through-the-heart). If a vampire drank Phoenix blood, it might - MIGHT, because this is an extreme reach - it might become "immortal" in the same sense Monica is. And if they're as undesirable as we've been led to believe, then no demon would ever let that happen.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

MerchManDan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:

Would Mon's guard-demons care about that? Not necessarily; in fact, they'd probably enjoy watching something like that happen.
No, if they're going to keep vampires from drinking Mon's blood, it's because they don't want the leeches to benefit from it - perhaps the same way Mon benefits from it. We don't know how vampires are killed in this universe yet; sunlight obviously doesn't do it, but perhaps something more drastic would (the classic beheading, silver exposure, or stake-through-the-heart). If a vampire drank Phoenix blood, it might - MIGHT, because this is an extreme reach - it might become "immortal" in the same sense Monica is. And if they're as undesirable as we've been led to believe, then no demon would ever let that happen.
There's also the unfortunate side-effect of M being vampyrized. There's a skill set we don't need to add to that particular mix... :shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

If one of the 'shitty mosquitos' did bite M and light up, would she be a Vam-pyre?

(drops illeagle Mexican fireworks into the pun jar)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

chibichibi01 wrote:Plasma has the same... salinity as 0.9% Saline solution. That's why when you give fluids that's the most common (because regular sterile water burns like hell) The simple saline is isotonic with our bodies. Seawater and Plasma are... very different. Seawater is almost 4.5 times as salty as your plasma. Plus, plasma has necessary sugars and proteins in it (like the clotting cascade) that seawater just doesn't have. I know it's a google answers link but: http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 61036.html has some really good information. EDIT: Reading further, they are similar but i wouldn't want to be given seawater if i needed a plasma transfusion
Yes, I should have qualified the seawater comments with "first you remove all the organic stuff from the plasma", then make your seawater comparisons. Also, though seawater is very salty now, there is thought that it was not nearly as salty, in some places in the seas, back when life was taking hold. Thus, the blueprint we have for making of it for our blood probably evolved during a time of much less salinity and mineral content in certain, critical (to the formation of life) ocean areas. One such discussion is found here.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Jabberwonky wrote:There's also the unfortunate side-effect of M being vampyrized. There's a skill set we don't need to add to that particular mix... :shock:
Ah, true; another thing against which they have to protect Mon. Assuming she'd be vulnerable to it, anyway.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

My2Cents wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:So, we either come to some sort of agreement with the vampires, or we eliminate the threat. I would think that agreement would center around not killing any of us and we not killing any of them. Since the vampires are not just wild animals, we can come to an agreement, just as has been done with the demons. At least I'm hoping Paul takes the story that way. All the other killers of humans we have seen have gained a conscience and no longer kill just because they can. Not too sure about Bia yet, however.
Got a reference to humans coming to an agreement with the demons? It sounds more like someone (i.e. God) set the rules and gave the Sphinxes the job of enforcing it, no negotiations involved at all ...
Well, yes ... by agreement I meant the one enforced by the sphinxes. Not one humans made with the demons. But it is an agreement. The sphinxes didn't just come in and kill all the demons, ending the problem once and for all. In our particular case, the demons could have simply left the earth alone and moved on to new hunting grounds, but they chose to stay. There must be some benefit to them to do so. The sphinxes (or whoever commands them) saw the demons could serve a useful purpose for us IF they followed certain rules of conduct. While it was a rather one sided negotiation it was still an agreement. The demons could stay if they agreed to stop shredding souls for their amusement. They did, agreeing to the sphinx's terms ... for the most part. As we've seen, exceptions are swiftly dealt with. A quick trial and quick punishment.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:If one of the 'shitty mosquitos' did bite M and light up, would she be a Vam-pyre?

I think you owe a payment for your sick bird, too.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:There's also the unfortunate side-effect of M being vampyrized. There's a skill set we don't need to add to that particular mix... :shock:
Ah, true; another thing against which they have to protect Mon. Assuming she'd be vulnerable to it, anyway.
Nah - rip her heart out again and she turns back into Just Phoenix Monica, with no Extra Added Hemovore.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Nah - rip her heart out again and she turns back into Just Phoenix Monica, with no Extra Added Hemovore.
Ah! Of course...she has a reset button...
(And Fernando is much better this afternoon)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:If one of the 'shitty mosquitos' did bite M and light up, would she be a Vam-pyre?

That sort of thing can quickly become an infinite recursion.
[just in case, drops in a Fibbonacci spiral]
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

bmonk wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:

That sort of thing can quickly become an infinite recursion.
[just in case, drops in a Fibbonacci spiral]
Don't worry: the forum limits things to three nested quotes... just the thing, for sick birds...

*Drops some heather into the pun jar*
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Over on the "Misfile" board, i just stacked five, and i think someone did nine, just to see if they could.

The mod discourages such things because at least once, i understand, someone embedded too many videos in one post and broke the board. (There is now a hard limit of two embedded videos per post, counting ones in posts you're quoting.)
=====================
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Fairportfan wrote:Over on the "Misfile" board, i just stacked five, and i think someone did nine, just to see if they could.

The mod discourages such things because at least once, i understand, someone embedded too many videos in one post and broke the board. (There is now a hard limit of two embedded videos per post, counting ones in posts you're quoting.)
That may be so on other forums, but this one happens to be set up so that if you try, you'll get the following message when trying to preview or post:

"You may embed only 3 quotes within each other."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

[quote="lake_wrangler
*Drops some heather into the pun jar*[/quote]
If she can fit, I guess she won't mind.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Over on the "Misfile" board, i just stacked five, and i think someone did nine, just to see if they could.

That may be so on other forums, but this one happens to be set up so that if you try, you'll get the following message when trying to preview or post:

"You may embed only 3 quotes within each other."
I know. I have.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote: *Drops some heather into the pun jar*
If she can fit, I guess she won't mind.
It's the extra arms that'll make it difficult.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, now we're throwing supporting cast members into the pun jar? What's next, we throw Owen and Lakshimi in there?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin