Another time then 2012-10-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Another time then 2012-10-26

Post by Fairportfan »

Yeppers.

Amazing how just a simple smile can remind you you have other things to do.

Far far away.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Re: Another time then 2012-10-26

Post by NOTDilbert »

And, yes, the demons are providing active protection, at least from fanpires.... :)
(Clink, Clink, splish)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

So where's the Oak Park Heights prison in relation to where they are now?
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I wonder how many celebrities wish they had demons to keep away the paparazzi like that.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Casey

Post by Casey »

I'd tell the demon that she wasn't being very nice, but I doubt she'd listen to me.

Seriously though, Doubt is kind of a jerk. And now we know it's not just to Monica.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

I wás about to write an extensive piece on demonology, but instead...

eeep..

just

eeep..
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Interesting that the vampires seem to classify a Level Five maximum security prison as a buffet. Guess these vampires don't need to have permission to enter (according to Phix), or maybe it doesn’t qualify as a dwelling.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:So where's the Oak Park Heights prison in relation to where they are now?
Approximately, here.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

So we know Dread's name now.
Does breakfast mean regular human food, or a couple of the prisoners?
I wonder if these two are reformed vampires since the one said "bottom feeders" didn't refer to them?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:So we know Dread's name now.
I wonder if these two are reformed vampires since the one said "bottom feeders" didn't refer to them?
I thought 'Bestie' was short for 'Best Friend'?

Also, maybe they restrict their feeding to criminals and etc.
Might also mean they (no longer) kill to feed.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:So where's the Oak Park Heights prison in relation to where they are now?
Approximately, here.
Yeah - but in reference to the location of the comic? Three blocks? Two miles? Twenty miles?

How far is Blondie suggesting they get from the cranky demon?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Yarner

Post by Yarner »

Fairportfan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Approximately, here.
Yeah - but in reference to the location of the comic? Three blocks? Two miles? Twenty miles?

How far is Blondie suggesting they get from the cranky demon?
That's about 25 miles accross town from the Museum (Minneapolis Institute of Art). Tina's shop is somewhere in the vicinity.
Yay, for Google maps :lol:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Clin ... 2&t=m&z=12
Just a hop away for a vampire, apparently
Bathorys Daughter

NOTDilbert wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:So we know Dread's name now.
I thought 'Bestie' was short for 'Best Friend'?

Also, maybe they restrict their feeding to criminals and etc.
Might also mean they (no longer) kill to feed.
Oh. I guess you're right about the Bestie thing.

I hope you're right about the feeding yet not killing thing. It would be the only saving grace for them if they do feed on the prisoners. Otherwise I will be taking an instant and visceral dislike to these characters. Still, just because they are prisoners and bad guys would not excuse the vampires. At least to me it would not make it all ok. I'm hoping Paul has a better plot device than that given how he has treated the others who were merciless killers of humans yet are no longer. We can have sympathy for them in their present circumstance. I doubt we would have much for them if they were still murdering people. Even bad people. I wouldn't, anyway. That was an aspect of "Stranger in a Strange Land" that ruined the story for me (yes, I am anti-capital punishment too).
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

I'd just like to know where - or even IF - normal humans are placed on a scale that has Mon as an "apex predator" and vampires as "lice."
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:I wonder if these two are reformed vampires since the one said "bottom feeders" didn't refer to them?
bad guys never refer to THEMSELVES as anything BAD... it's always "THE OTHER GUYS" that are the problem... not "ME"...

as for feeding off criminals in prison... well since the prisoners have been locked away from society, i'm sure it's more of an attitude of "bad things happen to bad guys"... meaning that if one prisoner dies in a "prison riot" or a "gangland hit"... it's just "oh well, things like that just happen, it's no big deal."... BUT... if somebody dies under that same conditions at let's say, Nicolette Mall... then there will be massive investigations, news coverage out the wazoo etc... things the vamps would probably NOT want... so they go to the prison where nobody cares, oh yeah, and since they're locked up, there's no effort needed to chase them down, either...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

MerchManDan wrote:I'd just like to know where - or even IF - normal humans are placed on a scale that has Mon as an "apex predator" and vampires as "lice."
I think it has to do with Monica's recent chopping, channeling, adding the Thrush pipes, mag wheels, and blade in the head that makes her Human: Apex Predator Class with optional "Dagmars." She hasn't grasped it all yet, and there's a good chance the P.D.s are protecting her from more fangirl gushing before she's categorized her upgraded status. They aren't as sweetly disarming as Eury, the snakey Ms Charming.
Bathorys Daughter

scantrontb wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:I wonder if these two are reformed vampires since the one said "bottom feeders" didn't refer to them?
bad guys never refer to THEMSELVES as anything BAD... it's always "THE OTHER GUYS" that are the problem... not "ME"...

as for feeding off criminals in prison... well since the prisoners have been locked away from society, i'm sure it's more of an attitude of "bad things happen to bad guys"... meaning that if one prisoner dies in a "prison riot" or a "gangland hit"... it's just "oh well, things like that just happen, it's no big deal."... BUT... if somebody dies under that same conditions at let's say, Nicolette Mall... then there will be massive investigations, news coverage out the wazoo etc... things the vamps would probably NOT want... so they go to the prison where nobody cares, oh yeah, and since they're locked up, there's no effort needed to chase them down, either...
That's not really true. It's not some dungeon where people are just thrown in and that's the end of it. Somebody cares. The prisoners have loved ones just like everyone else. They have people who care if they live or die. Even in prisons people's jobs depend on things going well. Several deaths would get noticed, regardless of the cause. The papers would notice. Someone would be in danger of being fired if they didn't get to the bottom of things. The vampires would have to feed often, and these two would probably not be the only ones. There would be too many deaths to explain away if it was a vampire killing ground. It just would not work in a real society. Despite the supernatural things going on, this story is supposed to be in a real society in a real place.

Now, a few prisoners suffering from a temporary anemia would probably get a pass. So the feeding but not killing thing might work out. It could even be someone in the prison collects blood for the vamps. Pays the prisoners in goods and get's paid by the vamps in money. Just another sideline like the usual drug/snacks trade that goes on in those places all the time. No one asks any questions. No one dies.
MerchManDan wrote:I'd just like to know where - or even IF - normal humans are placed on a scale that has Mon as an "apex predator" and vampires as "lice."
It's hard to say, but we must be pretty important. After all, the sphinxes are there to keep the demons in line and protect us. In fact, most of what goes on seems to be to protect the humans on the planet from supernatural forces who would kill and enslave us. If we weren't important to these beings, either in a direct way as fellow beings, or indirectly in a moral sense to defend the defenseless, they would just leave us to the demons or whatever. Of course, the main problem is they seem to like to interfere from time to time as well (e.g. May and golems) and that often doesn't turn out too well. Then they have to herd us in certain directions for our own good, like they're doing now.
Last edited by Bathorys Daughter on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

"Such cheek!" thinks Doubt... and snarls out.

"Such a cheek!" thinks the vampire... and peels out.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Bottom of the food chain. We're the sheep. :(
kingklash wrote:I think it has to do with Monica's recent chopping, channeling, adding the Thrush pipes, mag wheels, and blade in the head that makes her Human: Apex Predator Class with optional "Dagmars." She hasn't grasped it all yet, and there's a good chance the P.D.s are protecting her from more fangirl gushing before she's categorized her upgraded status. They aren't as sweetly disarming as Eury, the snakey Ms Charming.
There's also a good chance the flock is working in their own best interest, not Monica's, protecting her for reasons of their own. I really don't see them doing it out of loyalty or altruism.
Bathorys Daughter wrote: It's hard to say, but we must be pretty important. After all, the sphinxes are there to keep the demons in line and protect us. In fact, most of what goes on seems to be to protect the humans on the planet from supernatural forces who would kill and enslave us. If we weren't important to these beings, either in a direct way as fellow beings, or indirectly in a moral sense to defend the defenseless, they would just leave us to the demons or whatever. Of course, the main problem is they seem to like to interfere from time to time as well (e.g. May and golems) and that often doesn't turn out too well. Then they have to herd us in certain directions for our own good, like they're doing now.
For our own good, or theirs? it could just be enlightened self-interest. Morals or duty don't necessarily need to be part of it- it could be as simple as humans having something they need (sphinx interbreeding with humans for example).

Or even simpler, they protect us in order to protect themselves from us. If the supernatural races became public knowledge... the death toll on both sides would be unbelievable. The human race would decimate itself trying to wipe them out. Never underestimate how dangerous the herd can be.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Aleister Crow wrote:Or even simpler, they protect us in order to protect themselves from us. If the supernatural races became public knowledge... the death toll on both sides would be unbelievable. The human race would decimate itself trying to wipe them out. Never underestimate how dangerous the herd can be.
If we really are the sheep that would be very ba-a-a-a-ad.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!