Speed DIal 2018-04-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
JSStryker

Speed DIal 2018-04-12

Post by JSStryker »

Last edited by JSStryker on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vive la weird!
Opus the Poet

Re: Speed DIal 2018-04-12

Post by Opus the Poet »

Maybe she needs to be closer to the anchor to stay solid?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You might want to take out the "#respond" from your link, so we don't end up at the bottom of the page, below the comments, with the comment box staring us in the face instead of a lovely comic...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote:Maybe she needs to be closer to the anchor to stay solid?
She was solid when she brought Dustin there... Not necessarily ONLY a question of distance from the anchor.
eee

Post by eee »

Hm. Nobody has tried calling Daylla 2 in all the time she's been hung up in the anchor? Maybe the walls are blocking the signal. But Dustin is right there, he could walk up to her and do it.

If D-2's plan involved getting a phone call for her to save the day, and she didn't arranged for someone to call her ahead of time, her plan was kind of hit and miss. Perhaps she intended to call Dustin and have him call back immediately (and also tell him what she was going to do in case things didn't work as she expected), but she accidentally got sucked into the anchor before she could finish the set-up.

RE Daylla 1 going Space Ghost: I still suspect the Library is behind this. And that, right now, it is pulling her back so that when Daylla 2 pops out, there are not two Dayllas physically in one universe and things get wonky.

And if someone told me my dead girlfriend might not be, I think I'd go "What??" instead of making a snappy comeback, even as I kept trying to reach for my phone.
jwhouk

Re: Speed Dial 2018-04-12

Post by jwhouk »

It's not the anchor that is causing her de-solidification... it's Dustin.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

eee wrote:Hm. Nobody has tried calling Daylla 2 in all the time she's been hung up in the anchor? Maybe the walls are blocking the signal. But Dustin is right there, he could walk up to her and do it.
No . . . cellphone calls don't go phone-to-phone, they go phone to tower to network to tower to phone . . . if the phone can't reach the tower, no call. Yes, this even applies to push-to-talk calls.

--FreeFlier
eee

Post by eee »

FreeFlier wrote:
eee wrote:Hm. Nobody has tried calling Daylla 2 in all the time she's been hung up in the anchor? Maybe the walls are blocking the signal. But Dustin is right there, he could walk up to her and do it.
No . . . cellphone calls don't go phone-to-phone, they go phone to tower to network to tower to phone . . . if the phone can't reach the tower, no call. Yes, this even applies to push-to-talk calls.

--FreeFlier
Ah yes, that's right. In that case, they better hope the busted door eliminated the Faraday Cage aspect of the room and signals can get to D-2's phone now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Quantum Phones are an established technology in the strip. Perhaps they function as an ad-hoc network, though I doubt it. Quantum-entangled particles currently have to undergo entanglement at close distances and then moved to be used for signaling purposes over long distances. This is best achieved with phones or quantum SIM cards being manufactured and entangled at a single location, and then distributed for sale. There’s no need to worry about signal strength or delay time. Perhaps they are equipped with three cards that come from three manufacturing plants to give the phones two backups in case one of the manufacturing and signal processing plants are compromised.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Be interesting to see if the call goes through whether she can actually talk, time may be frozen for her.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

eee wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:

--FreeFlier
Ah yes, that's right. In that case, they better hope the busted door eliminated the Faraday Cage aspect of the room and signals can get to D-2's phone now.
Though if Daylla-2 is in a different universe, then would the signal get through? And what would the phone bill look like?
eee

Post by eee »

oldmanmickey wrote:Be interesting to see if the call goes through whether she can actually talk, time may be frozen for her.
I'm not sure that's important here. If I understand what Daylla 1 and 2 are thinking, the idea is that vibrations inside the anchor will set it aright. Which in this case means just the ringing of the phone set to vibrate will do it. If the anchor unkinks, I imagine Daylla 2 will be hurled out, and hopefully land alive, unhurt, and not on Dustin. :shock:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

eee wrote:...Daylla 2 will be hurled out, and hopefully land alive, unhurt, and not on Dustin. :shock:
Are you kidding?

OF COURSE she lands on Dustin - Rule of Funny requires it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I have a real answer for why nobody tried calling the Daylla stuck in the fold, and it was mentioned in the comic.

They all thought she was dead. In fact, Dustin and "our" Daylla are the only people who know, unless there were people who went into that room since the incident and kept it a secret.

Also, and this may have already been discussed in another thread, but... Didn't Dustin already know that our Daylla wasn't his girlfriend? He went through to universe 1, when we first saw him. He had to know something was different.
Last edited by Alkarii on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:Also, and this may have already been discussed in another thread, but... Didn't Dustin already know that our Daylla wasn't his girlfriend? He went through to universe 1, when we first saw him. He had to know something was different.
The way I saw it, when we saw the scene replayed through Dustin's eyes, it seemed to me as if he was talking to his own Scarlet, and about what was happening in his own universe, but somehow his voice was carried over to our protagonists' universe, and it just happened to make sense in the conversation, so that our Scarlet thought it was Timothy speaking.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Also, and this may have already been discussed in another thread, but... Didn't Dustin already know that our Daylla wasn't his girlfriend? He went through to universe 1, when we first saw him. He had to know something was different.
The way I saw it, when we saw the scene replayed through Dustin's eyes, it seemed to me as if he was talking to his own Scarlet, and about what was happening in his own universe, but somehow his voice was carried over to our protagonists' universe, and it just happened to make sense in the conversation, so that our Scarlet thought it was Timothy speaking.
Agreed. And then, shortly thereafter, Timothy's voice "leaked back" in the opposite direction, and Daylla-2 recorded it and then got freaked out.

So, both ghost-hunting gangs thought they'd gotten evidence of a ghost, but neither was aware that it was actually their counterparts in the universe next door.

Dustin himself was never in "our" universe, as I see it... only his voice made the passage across. Daylla-1 was the first inter-dimensional crossover solid enough to actually interact directly with someone on the other side (Dustin).

It will be interesting to learn what Scarlet's hereditary "ghost whisperer" status really means, in the context of alternative timelines or dimensions.