World Grid Anchor 2018-04-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

World Grid Anchor 2018-04-06

Post by Dave »

Aha. Brandi - get your golem butt over here!

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/world-grid-anchor/

And... heh... this was one of my speculations, about ten days ago...
It might be related to Brandi's World Grid, which blocks some forms of dimensional travel but has anomalies at certain nodes. Maybe it had the effect of "leaking sideways", weakening the barrier between alternative realities as a side effect of creating barriers within this reality.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donoho

Re: World Grid Anchor 2018-04-06

Post by donoho »

I have no idea what's going on, but I genuinely appreciate not being left to dangle from yesterday's proverbial cliff.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, that certainly explains things.

Now - what the heck is a "folded world grid anchor"?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Well, that certainly explains things.

Well, we know that the World Grid is an electromagnetic-field system which blocks some forms of travel (thus keeping a lot of the old gods from visiting Earth). It apparently has a geometric structure, is powered by Vimana cells, and it has a bunch of anomalies in it (a dozen triangular "vortices"). Setting it up strained the structure of the Earth enough to set off several supervolcanos.

I infer that the "anchors" may be points at which one of the Vimana cells may be operating, somehow anchoring the external World Grid field to the physical structure and magnetic field of the Earth as a whole.

A "folded" anchor may be one where the anchoring field or mechanism has become distorted somehow. Instead of cleanly anchoring the field to the planet (and perhaps bracing it against the force of an in-dimensional traveler such as Amun or Shiva trying to get through) the anchor has twisted and bent... and it seems that it had been or folded sideways, across the barrier between alternative world-lines. Daylla-2 send to be Stuck In-between, trapped in the anchor's field structure.

As to what folded or bent it... that is To Be Seen. Somebody speculated that this might be due to the magical wall-repair that was done some time ago. However, I think I recall one of the characters saying that the club room has had a reputation for being haunted for a long time (decades?) so the damage to the Grid may extend back a long time.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Cue Daylla and Daylla doing the whole "hey, it's like looking in a mirror" bit, talking in unison.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I keep remembering that when they closed the world grid, it set off a massive volcanic eruption . . .

Kiddo, I think it's time to call for backup!

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:I keep remembering that when they closed the world grid, it set off a massive volcanic eruption . . .

And maybe see if somebody can open the circuit breaker on that thing (safely) and then install a proper lockout device so it isn't turned back on while you're working on it.

The thought of a World-Grid-sized Vimana-powered cross-dimensional arc flash is just a tad worrisome...

... but then there's the question of what happens to Daylla-2...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

First thing I thought of when I saw that word balloon from the semi-conscious Dustin in the first panel was "Please Bishop I'd like another pint of concrete" running joke from "Everyday Heroes Redux"
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Another thing of note, now that we get to see her profile: She has no nose. Did she get tired of the "got yer nose" thing as a child, and just decided she'd rather not manifest one? Perfectly understandable; I really hated that crap, and adults wouldn't stop.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Without going in depth of the convoluted line of reasoning that spawned it i am thinking its a world grid anchor point for the Library. Humans built shrines, churches, cities and such on supposed places of power. It stands to reason for me that a school would be built on a connection point for the Library to allow ease of access. The fold is simply a glitch in the wiring so to speak that is having some bleed over from the multiverse since the Library exists outside of normal space and time.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

This is the part where a sensible person decides not to mess with is so she doesn't end up like her otherdmensional counterpart.

But we know that's not going to happen, so let's hope she at least waits for backup.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

World grid anchor? Is that connected to the wibbily wobbly timey wimey stuff?
eee

Post by eee »

Oh look, I was wrong about what was in the room. What a surprise. :lol:

I wonder how she knows about world grid anchors.
FreeFlier wrote:I keep remembering that when they closed the world grid, it set off a massive volcanic eruption . . .

--FreeFlier
Backup from... where? She's a ghost in their world, she can't reach hers... This may be a situation where she HAS to go solo!
Alkarii wrote:Another thing of note, now that we get to see her profile: She has no nose. Did she get tired of the "got yer nose" thing as a child, and just decided she'd rather not manifest one? Perfectly understandable; I really hated that crap, and adults wouldn't stop.
I don't think she's ever had one, when she's in her natural form.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Another thing of note, now that we get to see her profile: She has no nose. Did she get tired of the "got yer nose" thing as a child, and just decided she'd rather not manifest one? Perfectly understandable; I really hated that crap, and adults wouldn't stop.
But this solution would not get rid of the jokes, just change them.

"Hey, Daylla hasn't got a nose!"
"Really? How does she smell?"
"Terrible!"

(That one has been around at least since Vaudeville, and probably since the English language evolved its current form. Might even go back into Old Norse.)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, that joke came to mind when I was typing that post, but I felt it was kind of overdone.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

donoho wrote:I have no idea what's going on, but I genuinely appreciate not being left to dangle from yesterday's proverbial cliff.
Well, one Daylla apparently had to dangle upside-down for two months waiting, so I'm sure that you could have lasted two days.

I do hope that either that beam acts as a stasis field, or else Daylla has a very slow metabolism. Otherwise, there could be Unpleasant Results.
jwhouk wrote:Now - what the heck is a "folded world grid anchor"?
It's a world grid anchor that's not unfolded.

Dustin did just a moment ago say that Daylla has a volcanic temper. (Which, for a metallic critter-person, could have multiple meanings.)
Dave wrote:The thought of a World-Grid-sized Vimana-powered cross-dimensional arc flash is just a tad worrisome...
The first Indiana Jones movie taught us that mystical arcs only melt Nazis and those collaborating with them, though, so would that really be such a bad thing?
Her mother doesn't have one, either. Maybe Daylla's grandmother has a whole box full of pilfered noses.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:The thought of a World-Grid-sized Vimana-powered cross-dimensional arc flash is just a tad worrisome...
The first Indiana Jones movie taught us that mystical arcs only melt Nazis and those collaborating with them, though, so would that really be such a bad thing?
That depends. If the mystical arc happened to interpret "collaborating" as "sharing a planet with", it could be a bad thing indeed. I mean, maybe all four-limbed two-eyed hominid-shaped sentient beings look alike to a mystical arc.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
That depends. If the mystical arc happened to interpret "collaborating" as "sharing a planet with", it could be a bad thing indeed. I mean, maybe all four-limbed two-eyed hominid-shaped sentient beings look alike to a mystical arc.
In my experience, arcs of any kind of energy don’t care at all what they go through on their way to wherever they wanna go. All they care about is which path has least resistance?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Well, that certainly explains things.

You rang?

*cracks knuckles*

ALRIGHTY THEN, let’s all have a quick dip in the madness place, shall we? :twisted:

Way back when, Shellinx in the Time Forest told Shelly-1 that the Sword Hilt Vimana Containment Cell “recycled” radiation from the radioactive fuel, ostensibly to extend the half-life.

This would imply that most of whatever comes out of the fuel is sent back in to reverse the decay that occurred.

Now, it’s mighty hard to redirect radiation predictably because it’s mighty hard to predict radiation and it's also mighty hard to reliably bounce radiation - either it goes all over the place, it sticks, or it zooms right through any physical object. Electromagnetic bouncing doesn’t work because it won’t bounce beta particles the same way it bounces alpha particles, and it probably won’t do jack against gamma radiation.

So... how about utilizing twists in spacetime to turn a straight line going out from the fuel rod into a curved line leading right back into the fuel rod?

This is how I’ve theorized vimana’s work - a chunk of fuel situated in the center of a funky 4-dimensional spacetime shape where almost nothing can get out. The crux of the matter is manipulating and reversing the weak interaction that flips the quark flavor - this is where I think the loss in the recycling process comes from, and thus where the harvested energy comes from - I think vimanas would only be able to reverse certain weak interaction quark flavor flips.

But anyway, most of that is beside the point.

The POINT is, I think the World Grid is a macroscopic version of Vimana Containment - flipped inside out. It may also play with the four fundamental forces as Vimana Radiation Recycling might - this could explain how the Workd Grid stressed the Earth so much, several suoervolcanoes were set off when the Grid was turned on - Earth’s gravity was messed with a bit, which squished and stretched the planet and messed up the convective currents and made cracks in the crust and yadda yadda yadda lots of fire and lava and smoke and ash. The difference being, the World Grid works a bit like the Death Star I’s shield - small stuff goes in and out just fine, but the Big Ones - Major Greek Gods, “Old Gods”, etc - are stopped and sent back from whence they came.

Being a Grid, however, implies a polygonal construction. Meaning there are sides, edges, and Verticies.

My guess is, this is a Vertex where the twisted spacetime reaches a small enough scale for a being as small and insignificant as Daylla can get caught in it. However, she wasn’t just turned around and sent on her merry way because one of those twists in spacetime developed a kink. A fold, one that causes a local malfunction in time and space. Thus, I think it may be possible Daylla is caught in a time loop OR the bad fold has caused the local spacetime to intersect with another reality.

That part I’m still fairly confused about.

I would also guess that, because the Workd Grid is powered by Vimana Cells, that there is a Vimana Cell somewhere nearby - vertices seem like the logical place for the power sources... However, they could also be at the center of the polygons and the vertices are the intersections of several polygons powered by several vimanas. This would better explain the twelve(?) triangular weak zones.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Nah, it's actually just a cosmic space hamster running on a 4D wheel.