Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: The Old Wolf, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Bookworm, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.

Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Opus the Poet » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 pm

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/shoulder-rest-2/

If only she wasn't taken, several thousand years older than me, and a cartoon. :ugeek: :twisted:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
User avatar
Opus the Poet
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Surrounded by Hell

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby jwhouk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Actually, she's only a few hundred years older than you.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
User avatar
jwhouk
 
Posts: 5213
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby eee » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Yes, take as much time as needed to get that shoulder back in shape! We're not going anywhere.

jwhouk wrote:Actually, she's only a few hundred years older than you.

I thought it was Jin at first, too. They are eerily similar.

But really, how old is Ruri? As a teapot she's obviously at least a hundred, but in her humanoid form, did she materialize as a baby, which means she's about 20, or did she form in her current shape? In which case, it'd be hard to tell how old she is. We need more information on how this process worked.
eee
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby FreeFlier » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:51 pm

I don't think she's that old, if she's just entering college.

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:33 pm
Location: Land of the webbed feet

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Catawampus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:35 am

eee wrote:Yes, take as much time as needed to get that shoulder back in shape! We're not going anywhere.

jwhouk wrote:Actually, she's only a few hundred years older than you.

I thought it was Jin at first, too. They are eerily similar.

But really, how old is Ruri? As a teapot she's obviously at least a hundred, but in her humanoid form, did she materialize as a baby, which means she's about 20, or did she form in her current shape? In which case, it'd be hard to tell how old she is. We need more information on how this process worked.


"Technically, I'm a tsukumogami. A tool spirit. When well used and loved items reach one hundred years old, we come to life. That happened to me eighteen years ago."

So 118 years before she said that, she was made as a teapot. Then she spent 100 years as a pot, and then 18 years as a person.
User avatar
Catawampus
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Drakkenmensch » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:43 am

Opus the Poet wrote:If only she wasn't taken, several thousand years older than me, and a cartoon. :ugeek: :twisted:


Just take good loving care of your antiquities and one of them may just become alive upon reaching the century old mark!
Drakkenmensch
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:03 am

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby eee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:09 am

Catawampus wrote:
eee wrote:Yes, take as much time as needed to get that shoulder back in shape! We're not going anywhere.

jwhouk wrote:Actually, she's only a few hundred years older than you.

I thought it was Jin at first, too. They are eerily similar.

But really, how old is Ruri? As a teapot she's obviously at least a hundred, but in her humanoid form, did she materialize as a baby, which means she's about 20, or did she form in her current shape? In which case, it'd be hard to tell how old she is. We need more information on how this process worked.


"Technically, I'm a tsukumogami. A tool spirit. When well used and loved items reach one hundred years old, we come to life. That happened to me eighteen years ago."

So 118 years before she said that, she was made as a teapot. Then she spent 100 years as a pot, and then 18 years as a person.

Ah yes, I remember that now. So that gives us a definite time frame, and implies that a family woke up one day and found a baby where Grandmother's teapot had been. That must have been... interesting.

Drakkenmensch wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:If only she wasn't taken, several thousand years older than me, and a cartoon. :ugeek: :twisted:


Just take good loving care of your antiquities and one of them may just become alive upon reaching the century old mark!

Apparently, this happens only (or at least mainly) in Japan. I'm around 100 year old plus antiques a lot that have been carefully - if not always lovingly - cared for, and none of them have come to life on me.

I'm not sure what I'd do if that happened. Probably get very nervous because I could see the police and Child Protective Services getting involved right quick.
eee
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:08 am

eee wrote:Apparently, this happens only (or at least mainly) in Japan. I'm around 100 year old plus antiques a lot that have been carefully - if not always lovingly - cared for, and none of them have come to life on me.

I'm not sure what I'd do if that happened. Probably get very nervous because I could see the police and Child Protective Services getting involved right quick.

Especially if you couldn't prove that you owned the teapot in question (better hope your great-great-great-grandmother kept the receipt!). You might find yourself being charged with lidnapping.
User avatar
Dave
 
Posts: 6301
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Just Old Al » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:22 am

Dave wrote:Especially if you couldn't prove that you owned the teapot in question (better hope your great-great-great-grandmother kept the receipt!). You might find yourself being charged with lidnapping.


Unless it was made of flint then it would be lidknapping...

I hesitate to think of the chaos in my shop if everything down there that was over 100 woke up...damn playpen full of squalling brats.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
User avatar
Just Old Al
 
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 am
Location: Wilderness of Massachusetts

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 am

Just Old Al wrote:I hesitate to think of the chaos in my shop if everything down there that was over 100 woke up...damn playpen full of squalling brats.

Think of it as an opportunity, not as a burden. After raising all of your shop tools to the age of 18, you would have finally been able to actually identify the unkindest cutter of all.
User avatar
Dave
 
Posts: 6301
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Opus the Poet » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:39 pm

jwhouk wrote:Actually, she's only a few hundred years older than you.


Forgot to read the tag, and If I'm reading the backstory provided by the peanut gallery right, she's only 58 years older. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
User avatar
Opus the Poet
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 am
Location: Surrounded by Hell

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby eee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Opus the Poet wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Actually, she's only a few hundred years older than you.


Forgot to read the tag, and If I'm reading the backstory provided by the peanut gallery right, she's only 58 years older. :ugeek:

You prefer older women? :?:
eee
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby TazManiac » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 pm

I think he prefers them 'Seasoned'...
User avatar
TazManiac
 
Posts: 2766
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Catawampus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:55 pm

eee wrote:Ah yes, I remember that now. So that gives us a definite time frame, and implies that a family woke up one day and found a baby where Grandmother's teapot had been. That must have been... interesting.


Daylla was wondering about that, too. We never did find out about it; perhaps that's another storyline in the future.

What has me wondering is that Ruri has some memories from before the change, when she was just a teapot. Does that mean that inanimate objects in the Wapsi World are able to perceive their surroundings and contemplate their existences?

eee wrote:I'm around 100 year old plus antiques a lot that have been carefully - if not always lovingly - cared for, and none of them have come to life on me.


Maybe they have, but they decided not to tell you about it because they didn't want to worry you. So they just wait until you're not around. Sort of like the Toy Story movies.
User avatar
Catawampus
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby GlytchMeister » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:01 pm

Catawampus wrote:What has me wondering is that Ruri has some memories from before the change, when she was just a teapot. Does that mean that inanimate objects in the Wapsi World are able to perceive their surroundings and contemplate their existences?


It might function similarly to Stone Tape. Inanimate object has events recorded on it, too weak of a signal for anyone to really pick up, then when said inject becomes a being, those stone tape memories could be retained.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
User avatar
GlytchMeister
 
Posts: 3536
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby eee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Catawampus wrote:
eee wrote:I'm around 100 year old plus antiques a lot that have been carefully - if not always lovingly - cared for, and none of them have come to life on me.


Maybe they have, but they decided not to tell you about it because they didn't want to worry you. So they just wait until you're not around. Sort of like the Toy Story movies.

That COULD account for a lot of ghost sightings and stories, you know. Tsukumogamis trying to get back in position before they're found out... Or trying to distract so no one notices they're not where they should be...
eee
 
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby AnotherFairportfan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Catawampus wrote:Maybe they have, but they decided not to tell you about it because they didn't want to worry you. So they just wait until you're not around. Sort of like the Toy Story movies.

https://youtu.be/vDmTLE_Z_xM
He had done a good job of covering his tracks, but that was to be expected. After all, one does not conspire to ruin a House and murder a queen and then just stand there waving and waiting patiently for retribution.
User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby Sgt. Howard » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Just Old Al wrote:
Dave wrote:Especially if you couldn't prove that you owned the teapot in question (better hope your great-great-great-grandmother kept the receipt!). You might find yourself being charged with lidnapping.


Unless it was made of flint then it would be lidknapping...

I hesitate to think of the chaos in my shop if everything down there that was over 100 woke up...damn playpen full of squalling brats.



Just read this... thinking in terms of my arsenal... don't go there, too scary...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
User avatar
Sgt. Howard
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Malott, Washington

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby GlytchMeister » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:31 pm

One wonders what kind of kid a well-loved antique gun would make...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
User avatar
GlytchMeister
 
Posts: 3536
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Re: Shoulder rest 2018-03-30

Postby GlytchMeister » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm

And my mom has a 500-year old wardrobe and a 700-year old china display cabinet conglomerate... thing. I’m fairly certain they’ve been well-loved and cared for for 100 consecutive years at some point. I think you’re safe, Sarge.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
User avatar
GlytchMeister
 
Posts: 3536
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois

Next

Return to Daily Wapsi Square Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests