Love Ya 2018-03-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

Love Ya 2018-03-27

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

And the tears flow...

I don't know whats going on, but I'm hoping that she went sideways into a what-if timeline.
jwhouk

Re: Love Ya 2018-03-27

Post by jwhouk »

...A world without someone?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

I suspect somebody is messing with somebody's head here. Probably Pablo.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

jwhouk wrote:...A world without someone?
when the truth is found to be lies
and all the Joy within you dies
don't you want somebody to love
don't you need somebody to love
wouldn't you love somebody to love
you better find somebody to love

when the garden flowers
baby are dead yes
and your mind your mind is so full of red
your eyes i say your eyes may look like his
but in your head baby i'm afraid you don't know where it is

tears are running ah running down your breast
and your friends baby they treat you like a guest

don't you want somebody to love
don't you need somebody to love
wouldn't you love somebody to love
you better find somebody to love
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Lee M wrote:I suspect somebody is messing with somebody's head here. Probably Pablo.
An' 'tis a foine job of it he's after doin'.

. . .

No idea why the bad fake accent, it just seemed appropriate.

Bedtime.

--FreeFlier
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:And the tears flow...

I don't know whats going on, but I'm hoping that she went sideways into a what-if timeline.
For my two cents i think your close but instead of sideways went skipped forward in time. This is a case of the future trying to fix the past. Her test for her solution for whats going on didnt work and this is them trying to keep her from dieing. Since they dont exist in the same time frame they cant physically interact with each other. Dustin is a terminator sent to the past to protect Sarah "Daylla" Connor.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

PUNCH HIM OUT ANYWAY, DAYLLA!!

It's best to be sure of these things. Besides, if he can manipulate appearances there's no reason he couldn't produce a recording of what appears to be you. And he's not talking about how you supposedly died. How do you kill someone made of metal? Ghost Boy MAY be telling the truth, as he sees it; but if he's just messing with you because he wants to have fun, a couple of solid wallops may take all the fun out of it and lead him to go away.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

oldmanmickey wrote:For my two cents i think your close but instead of sideways went skipped forward in time. This is a case of the future trying to fix the past. Her test for her solution for whats going on didnt work and this is them trying to keep her from dieing.
Agree. This seem like a Ghost of Christmas Future visitation.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Can't be too much into the future - he's still wearing a wristwatch. :lol:
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:And the tears flow...

That's my best guess at this point. I think there are (at least two) alternative timelines/realities... the one we've been following, and Dustin's, and the "wall" between them has become leaky.

Remember how the “ghost” was talking quite casually to Scarlet about how the gang doing the ghost recording actually needed to ask questions to get an answer from a ghost?

I suspect that may have been Dustin, in his timeline, talking to his timeline’s Scarlet (or her analog) about the recording that his friends were in the process of making. Our timeline’s Scarlet heard that part of the conversation when it leaked between worlds, and the recorder picked it up as well. Dustin may have had no idea at all that he was being perceived as a ghost, by people in an adjacent world-line.

His timeline's Daylla was apparently doing some follow-up research on whatever her recorder picked up at some point, and died somehow as a result.

This is an interesting explanation for ghosts, as an alternative to the "stone tape" theory... which I remember one of the characters discussing, and being not-satisfied-with. Certainly, the ghost's comment to Scarlet about the recording process seemed much too apt and on-target to be merely an ashkashic recording of an older event being played back... it felt "real time" and spontaneous.

This could all be related to the Calendar Machine... it generated a different timeline each time it reset. Maybe, after it was destroyed, some of those "lost" timelines actually continued to exist somehow, and Dustin is from one of them.

It might be related to Brandi's World Grid, which blocks some forms of dimensional travel but has anomalies at certain nodes. Maybe it had the effect of "leaking sideways", weakening the barrier between alternative realities as a side effect of creating barriers within this reality.

It might just be a natural consequences of nature... the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics, combined with the fact that Gryphon was built in the site of an ancient Native American burial mound and the Graveyard Principle has begun to apply.

Not sure at all how this will turn out. So far, the projections or intrusions between the two alternatives involve people who don't (now) exist in both places... Dustin doesn't seem to exist in our timeline and Daylla is dead in the other. What happens if someone else in the gang (e.g. Castela) sidles through the world-wall like a cat and meets "herself"? It this even possible, and if so, what will the consequences be? What of Lazarus, and what of Lazarus?
jwhouk wrote:Can't be too much into the future - he's still wearing a wristwatch. :lol:
Possibly this plotline will give us answers to the Three Big Questions?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Is it just me or is two months fairly quick for high-schoolers to be tossing “love” about so cavalierly? I’m not speaking on the basis of objection to them doing so, more along the lines of “most kids don’t do that so fast”.

I feel like it might be an illusionist trickster being who doesn’t have all that good of a grasp on humanoid social interaction, or perhaps not that good a grasp on how mortals experience time.

... oooor is this more of a case of me not understanding how these things usually go? Entirely possible...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Is it just me or is two months fairly quick for high-schoolers to be tossing “love” about so cavalierly? I’m not speaking on the basis of objection to them doing so, more along the lines of “most kids don’t do that so fast”.
If I recall properly, high school age kids are notorious for falling in love (well, limerance, really) quickly and hard. The fact that they'd use the word "love" in conversation, surprises me not at all... considering the way the media sells the idea and ideal.

Also, I think "two months" is the length of time that Daylla has been dead in Dustin's timeline... not how long Dustin and Daylla were "an item" in that timeline. They might easily have been dating for a year or more before her death. (This presumes my hunch about Dustin being from a parallel timeline is correct)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Alternately, it's a vengeful ghost who has sucked her into its own time/space bubble and is screwing with her to convince her that she's the ghost so the spirit can move on to wherever? Or just screwing with her because if it's dead, so should everyone else?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave: Your comment about a weakened "wall" made me suddenly think.

What if this is somehow a result of Ms. Adler patching the wall Atsali slammed Castela into herself instead of calling in qualified magical-wall-repairers?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Dave: Your comment about a weakened "wall" made me suddenly think.

What if this is somehow a result of Ms. Adler patching the wall Atsali slammed Castela into herself instead of calling in qualified magical-wall-repairers?
:shock: :!:
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

My theory is as follows:
https://youtu.be/ilnnMzK_m8w?t=55s
I'm guessing some sort of weakening in the records in that spot spilling into another world's record. Which ends up seeming to confirm that ghosts as we expect don't exist, but the perhaps more terrifying notion of people and events spilling across from other worlds in a phantasmal way.. which can lead to people going lost between worlds or getting killed.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:What if this is somehow a result of Ms. Adler patching the wall Atsali slammed Castela into herself instead of calling in qualified magical-wall-repairers?
I believe that landmine is waiting to spring a gender-bent week for someone, which should be interesting. Seems a more "conventional" curse-based magic than something that would break dimensions.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Is it just me or is two months fairly quick for high-schoolers to be tossing “love” about so cavalierly? I’m not speaking on the basis of objection to them doing so, more along the lines of “most kids don’t do that so fast”.
If I recall properly, high school age kids are notorious for falling in love (well, limerance, really) quickly and hard. The fact that they'd use the word "love" in conversation, surprises me not at all... considering the way the media sells the idea and ideal.
I describe my recollection of my sisters' high-school explorations as "the eternal undying love of the week".
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:I describe my recollection of my sisters' high-school explorations as "the eternal undying love of the week".
Not a new thing by any means. Consider Romeo, who was about that age. He had been head over heels in love with Rosaline, moping over his unrequited feelings for her and being teased about it by his friends. He sneaks into a party hoping to see her, instead sees her cousin Juliet, and blammo. Rosaline is forgotten, and he is deeply and utterly and eternally in love with Juliet.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:
Warrl wrote:I describe my recollection of my sisters' high-school explorations as "the eternal undying love of the week".
Not a new thing by any means. Consider Romeo, who was about that age. He had been head over heels in love with Rosaline, moping over his unrequited feelings for her and being teased about it by his friends. He sneaks into a party hoping to see her, instead sees her cousin Juliet, and blammo. Rosaline is forgotten, and he is deeply and utterly and eternally in love with Juliet.
And it was considered a classic story even then!

--FreeFlier