Lowlifes Like Us 2012-10-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Mark N

Re: Lowlifes Like Us 2012-10-25

Post by Mark N »

alj_ws wrote: Beethoven Ninth Symphony, Second Movement would be appropriate (clockwork orange theme)
And as Monica is an Audio(Phile)(Nut), she would probably agree
Nahh, a hip hop and upbeat Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata just for walking past movie monster type supernaturals.

(Of course when she has her amorus eye on her boyfriend she could switch to and upbeat Wagner's The Flying Dutchman Overture) Yes I know i am a complete freak because of my love of classical and modern music.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Glyph reader, Jaguar girl, Phoenix blood, and now Demon Shepherd...

I'm curious about something. IIRC when a person dies, the demons are released to find a new host, yes? Monica died (even though it didn't stick). Are her demons free now, and hanging around because they want to? And is it just me, or are they looking rather protective of the pocket elf?

Re themesong: Night on Bald Mountain? EDIT: No, even better- The Danse Macabre
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Jabberwonky wrote: Just because...

I wonder if Euryale's armpit "hair" is tiny snakes??? Maybe earthworms???
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And no one has bothered to guess who these lovely demons may BE? Shame on y'all.

I'm thinking that's Panic over on the far left, with possibly Anger next to her; The Demon-In-The-Middle is likely our good friend Doubt, while the lady with the strange facial markings... I have no clue.

She looks like the face of a radio, but it's also a fair approximation of a Death Mask - so would that be Death/Murder?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

jwhouk wrote:And no one has bothered to guess who these lovely demons may BE? Shame on y'all.

I'm thinking that's Panic over on the far left, with possibly Anger next to her; The Demon-In-The-Middle is likely our good friend Doubt, while the lady with the strange facial markings... I have no clue.

She looks like the face of a radio, but it's also a fair approximation of a Death Mask - so would that be Death/Murder?
A thought occurs to me... aside from Doubt, how do we know these are all M's demons? Maybe the Demon Shepherd has added some new ones to her flock.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Dave

Post by Dave »

davids4250 wrote:I wonder if Euryale's armpit "hair" is tiny snakes??? Maybe earthworms???
Considering that Euryale's mother is/was Ceto, a primordial sea goddess... I suggest that it would be appropriate for her armpit hair to be of a somewhat-snaky aquatic variety.

Specifically - hydras: phylum Cnidaria, subphylum Medusozoa.

They're predatory, they feed by injecting venom, they have the ability to regenerate, and they seem not to die of old age.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:And no one has bothered to guess who these lovely demons may BE? Shame on y'all.

I am betting that the death mask is 'Mortality' which can be considered fear of death. Something she no longer seems to need to have as a fear (Unless of course it can also be used as a fear of causing death to another or just the loss of loved ones).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Julie wrote:B) Whether or not the previous guess was correct, I'm thinking that Dreads was judging M's mood as unapproachable based on the looks they got from the demons...not necessarily that the demons were a danger to her and Specs.
That could be. Maybe it's not entirely a person's aura Tina uses to judge their mood or wants. She may also be looking at their demons expressions too. Takes one to know one, after all. Who knows, the person's demons may be feeding information directly to Tina and the aura thing is just a ruse ... "She wants coffee with whipped cream." or "If you value your life, don't ask her about her day, just get the coffee."

I'm beginning to wonder if we're being set up for a vampire redemption story here. All the other characters have been shown to be something other than simply murderous monsters. Of course, that'll be a harder sell if these two still go around murdering people right and left.

I'm not sure you can go by looks. I mean, who would have thought the one on the left would be Vanity? Yes, you can see some reasons why now (corset/bustier), but how much of that is only because you know what it's supposed to be? You certainly would not know Doubt just from her looks.
Last edited by Bathorys Daughter on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I'm just all antsy over finding out what the Vamp Gals' names are.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Actually, we KNOW doubt by her looks. Especially when she looks like Monica turned inside out.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Actually, it varied. When Monica set Doubt's butt on fire, she was only a little taller than Monica.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

[quote="Bathorys Daughter"] And today's questions;

Are her demons now sort of free agents, bent to her will and protection? Attack dogs who will do bad things to those who mess with her? Usually demons aren't allowed to torment anyone but their host, and then only via words (and, for one type, the odd nose flick). Can her flock take more physical action against others now, at least supernaturals? It would seem so given the vampires apprehension about them. Do they need a command from Monica or do they just so whatever they think is appropriate? Whichever, it would seem Monica would need to know about that before they do something she will regret.
quote]

They might just give lethal advise...if M wasn't paying attention to where that thought in her head popped in from. Monica knows her demons have no control over her unless she does what they say...
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:

I'm not sure you can go by looks. I mean, who would have thought the one on the left would be Vanity? Yes, you can see some reasons why now (corset/bustier), but how much of that is only because you know what it's supposed to be? You certainly would not know Doubt just from her looks.
Wow...thanks for linking that! I'd forgotten just how M's demons have appeared in the past (though Vanity I remembered fairly well). I wonder which of the spiky-haired ones is actually Fear/Panic... After seeing the older versions I can't even guess. :?
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

My internet has been dead and my phone dosen't like the forum, so I'm a bit late to the party. Still, I wanted to comment on the appropriate thread.

Regarding the demon entourage and their attitude towards the vamps...

Far left,(probably Vanity) has passed by without a glance. The vamps are nothing to her, beneath notice.

Middle left, (Panic, maybe?) gave them a glance, but its the kind any of us would give a mildly interesting piece of the scenery. She noted thier presence, decided it wasn't worth any real effort, and moved on.

Middle right(no doubt, this is Doubt) has not only noticed them, but has turned and shot them a look of warning. That is a very intense "This is none of your business, step off," kind of look. Oddly, this is almost a courtesy compared to what far right is doing. Doubt is warning them, and in the process is acknowledging them as fellow predators.

Far right, (not sure, Fear perhaps?) is looking at them, but it ain't no look of warning. I've seen that same look on the face of my cat when he's stalking. Her eyes are wide, her mouth is slightly open. As far as Fear is concerned, vampire is on the menu today. She only sees them as prey. I would have run as soon as I saw that look.

Also, I think it interesting that all the demons are fully fleshed out. Doubt is the only one up to now who has been consistently depicted with a complete body. The rest have gotten by on pieces and parts. I think this is because Doubt has always had the most influence over Monica, and therefore has been the most powerful. I think that with their host's upgrade, the others have recived a boost in power as well.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, so we're assuming that's Vanity all the way on the right, with our skull-mask demon as Anger, and the demon next to Doubt is likely Mortality.

Doubt's probably the most "aware" and "powerful" at the moment, not because those two are tailing her "prey", but because of that line Monica delivered as she was passing by the two of them - "I have no right to bitch about something that not too long ago I was jealous about." That's Doubt's work, for sure.

That would also explain why Vanity's hanging around. Wonder if that would make skull-mask something closer to "Ugliness" (or whatever the antonym of Vanity would be)?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just took a second look at The Demons In My Back Pocket... That's Hatred all the way on the right, and Anger with the skull face.

...Unless Pablo is gonna give them different names.