Were You Looking 2018-03-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Were You Looking 2018-03-19

Post by lake_wrangler »

Yay! Comic's back on!

It would appear that the teachers are definitely not aware of Castela's powers...

Love Digit's statement, in that last panel...
Dave

Re: Were You Looking 2018-03-19

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:Love Digit's statement, in that last panel...
She does have a sophisticated way of looking at the situation. :)

Shawna shows some real presence of mind here, too. Not the somewhat romantically self-absorbed attitude we've seen before... she took on a very practical leadership role in organizing the immediate search for Daylla.
eee

Post by eee »

YAY, we're back! And Digit made a funny!

You see, Daylla, this is why you don't look behind. You might wind up missing.

Shawna is surprisingly good at Command. But Hiroshi's going off on his own. Disappearance # 2, imminent?

I don't know, I think I like Valerie better with a 'face' of crackling black lightning than Lovecraftian tentacles. But I suppose the former would be hard to draw consistently. I wonder how she manages to see...

As to whether the teachers know that Castella is a living engine of mass destruction, Valerie clearly didn't. It's hard to tell how much Digit might have learned when she was still a spider, hanging out in Monica's place. She didn't seem disturbed by the sight.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

They ok long as Pickle don't let her hand do the talking. I am sure Digit knows about Pickle but maybe not the whole extent.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

- Valerie, I'm thinking now, as she is 'stepping down' and contracting as it were, they realize as thick and fat tentacles. During the initial action phase, they where & are, the true stuff of Nightmares. Optopoids I might be able to deal with, on a case by case basis. The True Black Void otoh, takes a little more out of you to grapple with.

- Castela. She pretty much made it plain that she had more to her than she was letting on, that it scared her a whole bunch, and that (as we saw) others had come to her aid to mentor her and provide a 'safe place' (snerk) for her to vent and practice in (the Canyon).

It shouldn't surprise anyone that there will always be more to the 'Whatsit' than anyone knows, let alone, meets the eye.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

In the heat of the moment, I know that I would have probably dismissed it as a flashlight of some kind.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Pickel-opolypse averted for the nonce, bu will it remain so?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

In most of the buildings I know of, interior doors from stairwells might be locked for security reasons, but the stairwells would have an exit-from-the-building door which is supposed to be openable from inside at all times. It may be locked from outside, and may have an alarm if opened, but the "crash bar" on the inside is always supposed to work. This is a fire-safety (and other-safety) issue, to make certain that it's always possible to escape from the building during an emergency.

A stairwell which only opens out onto one floor is a potential death-trap.

I could see some special cases in which a "no safe exit" stairwell might be allowed... but a school? Doesn't really make sense to me.

So, Daylla might not be as "contained" as Timothy believes.

(There was a sad case in SF a few years ago, in which a disoriented medical patient wandered from her room, got into an exterior fire stairway in which all of the floor doors were locked from the stairwell side, and died of dehydration before anyone found her. Either she couldn't find the bottom-floor exit door, or couldn't use it. It was alarmed, and perhaps in her confused condition she was so afraid of setting off the alarm that she just sat down and waited for help and then passed out)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I have to admit, I too find the fleshly tentacles to look weird on Valerie, after having seen the ethereal ones earlier. Sorta takes away some of the mystique of her character, in my opinion.

Now that I think about it, I can't help but wonder if she's related to Sam Starfall... (Skip to the second to last paragraph...)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:In most of the buildings I know of, interior doors from stairwells might be locked for security reasons, but the stairwells would have an exit-from-the-building door which is supposed to be openable from inside at all times. It may be locked from outside, and may have an alarm if opened, but the "crash bar" on the inside is always supposed to work. This is a fire-safety (and other-safety) issue, to make certain that it's always possible to escape from the building during an emergency.

A stairwell which only opens out onto one floor is a potential death-trap.

I could see some special cases in which a "no safe exit" stairwell might be allowed... but a school? Doesn't really make sense to me.

So, Daylla might not be as "contained" as Timothy believes.
OTOH, if she can enter the stairwell only on this floor (the doors from the floor(s) being one-way into the stairwell), and cannot leave from the designated exit without setting off the alarm, which has not occurred, then she's pretty well contained.

Ignoring the various paranormal options, of course.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:OTOH, if she can enter the stairwell only on this floor (the doors from the floor(s) being one-way into the stairwell), and cannot leave from the designated exit without setting off the alarm, which has not occurred, then she's pretty well contained.
On the other hand, if she leaves the building through that door and sets off the beeper, she'd be engaged in "alarums and excursions", and that's pretty much what's going on up on the uproar floor.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler wrote:I have to admit, I too find the fleshly tentacles to look weird on Valerie, after having seen the ethereal ones earlier. Sorta takes away some of the mystique of her character, in my opinion.

Now that I think about it, I can't help but wonder if she's related to Sam Starfall... (Skip to the second to last paragraph...)

Two or three pages of comic back, like before Sir Pablo bent his wing, there was a confrontation in the hallway, Valerie comes across as nice and curvy. (It's a nice accent to offset the 'tents.)
eee

Post by eee »

What is Digit wearing, exactly? I don't recognize the character...

RE where Daylla might be: I hope they think to check the classroom they all just came out of. It's almost a trope, someone goes missing, the companions search from top to bottom, they go back to the meeting place and find the missing member, who demands to know where THEY were, she's been looking for them and they were no where to be found!

With Castela's scent abilities, shouldn't she be able to follow Daylla's track?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

eee wrote: . . . With Castela's scent abilities, shouldn't she be able to follow Daylla's track?
Wolf-who-watches wrote:Two-legs never think about scent. Image
Most two-legs don't have enough sense of smell to bother with.

And they're deaf and might as well be blind, too.
Wolf-who-watches wrote:ImageOne has noted that.
Two has noted one noting that.

--FreeFlier