Oops 2018-03-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Oops 2018-03-06

Post by jwhouk »

Oops.

As posted elsewhere, Pablo dislocated his non-drawing shoulder. He will aim to return on the 12th with this storyline.

AVENGERS, ASSEMBLE!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Re: Oops 2018-03-06

Post by jwhouk »

"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

Oh dear.

Best wishes for a quick recovery and reduction in pain. :shock:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Aiieee!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Well, this is a Namesake cliffhanger, if I've ever seen one.
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Been there, done that and it isn't any fun at all. :( Take your time healing and we will see you around the 12th +/-
Vive la weird!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

He should be getting better really fast at Mach 12. :twisted: :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

So that's what the boom was . . . I thought they'd served beans and cabbage with onions again.

We'll have to be told how he did it eventually . . .
Jeff Foxworthy wrote:"You might be a redneck if . . . you have ever rolled a riding lawnmower."
now to see if anyone remembers . . .

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I've seen enough 'Ghost Whisper' episodes to know: 'da Ghost' dun it...
korblimee47

Post by korblimee47 »

Aarrgh! Well I hope he heals soon, and i'm glad if it had to happen it happened to his non drawing shoulder. ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Owww!!! I hope this doesn't have bad long-term effects for Paul!

I did something like that to myself some years ago... was on a hike on a steep slope,, the trail slid out from under me, my weight came down on my arms when I fell and I subluxated (partially dislocated) my left shoulder. Fortunately it didn't actually dislocate and didn't need to be reset, but the tendons and tissues were pretty badly strained. It did heal up completely with time, but it was a year or so before I could raise my left arm above my head without soreness.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

BUGGER!

All the best, mate. Don't push the recovery - been in physical therapy and restoring the range of motion in my right shoulder for months now. Listen to the doctors, do your exercises and it will come back.

Rest. We'll be fine here...{twitch, twitch}
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

From Facebook, I think he said he was trying to prise a speaker from something or pull the speaker box itself apart, Hulked out just a bit too much... so when the thing finally yielded, his arm flew backward and popped loose. That’s a weird way to dislocate a shoulder, going backward like that.

Anyway, the docs put it back and he’s already feeling better, but yeah, he’s being careful and taking a week to rest.

Oh, and no, it wasn’t his drawing arm, though he does use his offhand to hold the drawing board and stuff.

Note to self: stop using Sith Strength (anger -> fuel -> energy -> force -> work) when I get old. Don’t want to rip myself apart.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The door to the room opened slowly, letting the exterior light in briefly - enough that the solitary figure could see enough to find the light switch.

A set of fluorescent bulbs illuminated the room from the ballast fixtures overhead, revealing the long table with chairs alongside them.

Satisfied, he walks around to the back of the room, and over to the doorway next to the scroll window, separating the kitchen.

The door opens, and another light switch illuminates the kitchen - immaculately clean. Emerauld, he thought. She must have cleaned up after the last time. This was confirmed by the plate of seed cake that was sitting neatly wrapped on the counter.

He went to the fridge to check stock - candied carrots, abuelita chocolate, a few two-liters of vanilla Coke, several bottles of seltzer water. The freezer had a few gallons of ice cream, along with one of orange sherbet.

Closing the fridge back up, he checked the pantry. Rosalita out did herself. Enough feed in here to keep us going until Pablo returns.

He returned to the main room. A smile came across his face, considering that the main storyline of the comic was about the shenanigans in the Gryphon activity room. That place has nothing on this setup, he thought.

He went over to the wall, flipped a switch that turned on an electronic whiteboard. Using his finger, he simply wrote:

OPEN FOR BUSINESS DURING RENOVATION
Last edited by jwhouk on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Hansontoon's phone chirped and then buzzed, startling him from the focus he had on the email from manufacturing about the part that slipped in the lathe chuck resulting in damage to a critical surface finish. He fished the device from his shirt pocket and opened the message. "Whaa... oh! The room's back open?!? Ah yes, that business about Taylor and his shoulder. Shoulda used a crowbar. Rubber hammers are good at persuading things too. I'll have to drop by if I can get a chance." He cleared the screen and turned back to his desktop monitor, switching screens to pull up a schematic to help determine whether or not the part would be scrap.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:Owww!!! I hope this doesn't have bad long-term effects for Paul!

I did something like that to myself some years ago... was on a hike on a steep slope,, the trail slid out from under me, my weight came down on my arms when I fell and I subluxated (partially dislocated) my left shoulder. Fortunately it didn't actually dislocate and didn't need to be reset, but the tendons and tissues were pretty badly strained. It did heal up completely with time, but it was a year or so before I could raise my left arm above my head without soreness.
I'm glad you did heal properly, and don't think I am making light of what happened to you, but your wording, especially at the end, reminded me of a joke I had heard a long time ago:

Setting: courtroom
Witness on the witness bench: That's right, your honor, since the accident, I can only raise my arm this high... (Proceeds to raise his arm about halfway up)
Attorney for the defense: How high could you raise it before the accident?
Witness: This high (Proceeds to raise his arm all the way up...)

And, of course, this joke makes me think of another accident-related joke:

Mother: Doctor, will my son be able to play the piano, after the operation?
Doctor: Yes, ma'am.
Mother: That's wonderful! He never could, before!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:From Facebook, I think he said he was trying to prise a speaker from something or pull the speaker box itself apart, Hulked out just a bit too much... so when the thing finally yielded, his arm flew backward and popped loose. That’s a weird way to dislocate a shoulder, going backward like that.
I almost did something similar to that to myself a few days ago. I had to move a bunch of fifty-pound containers from one place to another next to it. I was picking them up one in each hand, so that I was balanced, and then slinging them over to where they needed to be. So I picked up one pair and swung them over, then picked up another pair and swung them over, then picked up another pair and swung them over, then picked up another pair and found out that one of them was actually an empty one that somebody had stuck back in with the full ones. I picked up the empty one with the same force I was using for the full ones, which resulted in me accidentally throwing it against the ceiling and across the room and hurting my arm and back muscles, while also getting myself thrown off-balance and twisting my back a bit more. My shoulder was not happy.

Though that wasn't as embarrassing as what I saw the next day, when a lady picked up what she thought was a full box of something, overbalanced because it was empty, did a back flip, landed head-first in the box, and couldn't get it off of her head until I helped her pry it off.

I'm beginning to think that our company has been bought out by Acme.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:From Facebook, I think he said he was trying to prise a speaker from something or pull the speaker box itself apart, Hulked out just a bit too much... so when the thing finally yielded, his arm flew backward and popped loose. That’s a weird way to dislocate a shoulder, going backward like that.
I almost did something similar to that to myself a few days ago. I had to move a bunch of fifty-pound containers from one place to another next to it. I was picking them up one in each hand, so that I was balanced, and then slinging them over to where they needed to be. So I picked up one pair and swung them over, then picked up another pair and swung them over, then picked up another pair and swung them over, then picked up another pair and found out that one of them was actually an empty one that somebody had stuck back in with the full ones. I picked up the empty one with the same force I was using for the full ones, which resulted in me accidentally throwing it against the ceiling and across the room and hurting my arm and back muscles, while also getting myself thrown off-balance and twisting my back a bit more. My shoulder was not happy.

Though that wasn't as embarrassing as what I saw the next day, when a lady picked up what she thought was a full box of something, overbalanced because it was empty, did a back flip, landed head-first in the box, and couldn't get it off of her head until I helped her pry it off.

I'm beginning to think that our company has been bought out by Acme.
...wow.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:I'm glad you did heal properly, and don't think I am making light of what happened to you, but your wording, especially at the end, reminded me of a joke I had heard a long time ago:

Setting: courtroom
Witness on the witness bench: That's right, your honor, since the accident, I can only raise my arm this high... (Proceeds to raise his arm about halfway up)
Attorney for the defense: How high could you raise it before the accident?
Witness: This high (Proceeds to raise his arm all the way up...)
That reminds me of an industrial accident case on which I was the foreman, some decades ago. A guy had a fall and hurt his back, working on a steam boiler, and was suing the maker of the boiler, the installer, and the maker of the wrench he had been using (which broke, causing him to fall backwards).

During the defense's medical exam he claimed to be unable to sit up from a horizontal position without great pain in his back. At a later point in the exam the doctor had him sitting in the exam table and asked him to raise his legs to a horizontal position... which he did with no difficulty and no report of any pain. The doctor testified that this is a "trap test"... a genuine injury to the back or spine would have caused pain in both cases since the bending stresses on the spine are the same.

I felt a bit sorry for the guy, but between the fact that his lawyers had seriously failed to prove their claims of defects in the equipment, the evidence that he was exaggerating his injuries, and the clear evidence that he was so poorly trained and educated that he shouldn't have been operating or maintaining that equipment at all, we voted to deny his claims.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Back in 1972, when i had the bicycle accident that put my arm through a car window, they had to do a full nerve block on the arm - forty-some stitches and three hours on the table - and when i got up they put the arm in a sling because it was hanging completely slack, and, as heavy as an arm is, with no muscular control, simply turning too quickly could have dislocated it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.