Dark Hallway 2018-03-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

Dark Hallway 2018-03-01

Post by Cheesy1 »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/dark-hallway/
Ah crap, she broke the "Don't Split Up Or Go Alone" rule.
TazManiac

Re: Dark Hallway 2018-03-01

Post by TazManiac »

crrrrrreeeeepppyyyyyyy...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Daylla, you're made of metal. Ghosts aren't made of corrosive chemicals. You'll be fine.

Speaking of being made of metal, has it been established how she reacts to magnets, electricity, or extreme temperatures? I bet things get a little weird if she sticks her tongue in a light socket.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Kishhhhhssshhsh
Du-doop, du-doop, du-doop du-doop du-doop, badadda dum
Thor

Post by Thor »

Alkarii wrote:Daylla, you're made of metal. Ghosts aren't made of corrosive chemicals. You'll be fine.

Speaking of being made of metal, has it been established how she reacts to magnets, electricity, or extreme temperatures? I bet things get a little weird if she sticks her tongue in a light socket.
Since she's made of metal, what does she excrete? Or to take that one step further, what does she eat? And why? And assuming that there is something that a person of living metal eats to gain energy and build body mass, would the restrooms in a school be structurally capable of handling whatever a living metal body might consider toxic discharge?

And then we are led to so many other questions, like what kind of metal is she made of? Is she a solid element? An alloy? Does she rust or tarnish? Can she stop a bullet? Is she squishy at all? Can she swim or does she sink?

That's the problem with writing any elements of fantasy or magic into a story. If you look too closely at it, the number of unanswered or unanswerable questions start tripping up the verisimilitude. Fortunately most readers of fantasy fiction have an innate understanding of this and don't start pulling at the loose threads if you keep them all discreetly tucked under and keep things moving enough for them to not to dwell too often.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Thor wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Daylla, you're made of metal. Ghosts aren't made of corrosive chemicals. You'll be fine.

Since she's made of metal, what does she excrete? Or to take that one step further, what does she eat? And why? And assuming that there is something that a person of living metal eats to gain energy and build body mass, would the restrooms in a school be structurally capable of handling whatever a living metal body might consider toxic discharge?

And then we are led to so many other questions, like what kind of metal is she made of? Is she a solid element? An alloy? Does she rust or tarnish? Can she stop a bullet? Is she squishy at all? Can she swim or does she sink?

That's the problem with writing any elements of fantasy or magic into a story. If you look too closely at it, the number of unanswered or unanswerable questions start tripping up the verisimilitude. Fortunately most readers of fantasy fiction have an innate understanding of this and don't start pulling at the loose threads if you keep them all discreetly tucked under and keep things moving enough for them to not to dwell too often.
Personally i always considered her and Colossus of the X-Men as having metallic shells much like a bugs carapace. Simply got the squishy stuff on the inside.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

Daylla, Daylla, Daylla, don't you watch the horror movies? Wake Cass up and have her go with you or you're going to wind up sharing the stalls with Jason, Freddie, and Pennyworth.

Darned unisex bathrooms!
Thor wrote:

What complicates things in the Waspiverse is precisely that magic and other forces are in play, which are ill-defined in their possibilities. We don't know enough about how things work, even after all these years, to be able to do more than speculate wildly. There have been indications that Daylla eats normal human food, much like Castella. We've seen at least once that she is capable of shape-shifting beyond the usual cosmetic 'looking human' changes, so her form apparently is malleable to her will in some cases

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/run-away/

Her weight, strength, and vulnerability or lack of it are uncertain. Where Daylla is concerned, like Castella, it is probably best to just look at what the author presents and say "OK. Whatever you say."

:shock:
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Thor wrote:

In a Star Wars spoof, one storm trooper picks up a crumpled aluminum foil shaped into a turd and saya, "Look- droid droppings..."
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The best thing with that linked comic is that you can imagine her turning into a chunk of metal ore - very, very slowly.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I was hoping that an animated short i saw on HBO thirty-plus years ago might be on YouTube, but apparently not.

It's called "Capital P" {i think} and the last line is "Did you remember to flush?"

It's about a kid in very much Dayla's current situation...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, so far all of the haunted stuff has happened in that one clubroom. It's also only in that room where Scarlet, the ghost-sensitive one, gets weird vibes. So maybe by leaving the room, Daylla's now actually the only one who is safe when the ghostly happenings happen. She'll come back to the room and find that everybody else is missing, or something along that line.
Thor wrote:Since she's made of metal, what does she excrete?
Depleted uranium?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Thor wrote:Since she's made of metal, what does she excrete?
Depleted uranium?
Either lead (the fully-stable isotopes of which are the final decay products of the natural primordial heavy-element radioisotope decay chains) or iron (the heaviest "waste product" of fusion).

She could maybe go into business excreting shotgun pellets for hunters... lead for the traditionalists, iron for the eco-conscious.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm sorry but the title of this strip just brings to ,ind a certain Rick Moranis character.

:ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.