No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

And the emptiness echoes...

On the other head, six eyes? Antlers?
jeffepp

Re: No One Out Here 2018-02-23

Post by jeffepp »

Klang? Metallic nature confirmed?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:And the emptiness echoes...

On the other head, six eyes? Antlers?
They don't build pixies like they used to.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm pretty sure the 'original' Pixies are pretty knarly & nasty to deal with, all alone in the forest and everything.

Any time a Pixie looks like Tinkerbell, there's likely a Glamour at work...

ps- they've been known to interbreed with the human population... https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7 ... 8ba5fbf5-c
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

One should be very sure of oneself before banging a WMD upside the head. When one is dealing with things that can bring down armageddon oops is not the safe word. Although being of a metallic nature would mean lasting a few micro seconds longer that the others in the room.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

So much for it just being Digit checking on them.

Six eyes? And Hiroshi appears to be down for the count.

If there's nothing out in the hallway, maybe that means it's in the room. Wait until THAT idea occurs to one of them!

(I rather hope this goes particular story goes on for quite some time, this is MOST entertaining. :lol: )
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus the Poet wrote: They don't build pixies like they used to.
That's not a pixie that's a pile of spare parts flying in close formation...like a Sphinx.

"Now look, you badly aerodynamic pile of spare parts..."

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just Old Al wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote: They don't build pixies like they used to.
That's not a pixie that's a pile of spare parts flying in close formation...like a Sphinx.

"Now look, you badly aerodynamic pile of spare parts..."

Al

(Gets out of the way of the impending attack...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

From Pablo on Facebook:
Shawna's look was from digging into the oldest records that I could find of pixie like creatures (also not specifically called pixies) and then figuring out if the renderings were possible misinterpretations and or simplifications, then just having fun with it. :)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

jwhouk wrote:From Pablo on Facebook:
Shawna's look was from digging into the oldest records that I could find of pixie like creatures (also not specifically called pixies) and then figuring out if the renderings were possible misinterpretations and or simplifications, then just having fun with it. :)
I think the key word there is fun
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Scarlet: “The hallway's empty! No one is out here!”
Creepy disembodied voice: “That's because I'm in the classroom now, not the hall. .
Kids in unison: “AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!”

I wonder how Shawna's multiple eyes and one set of glasses work together.

And while Castela's natural tendency seems to be to try to protect people around her, she also seems to have a bad habit of accidentally using excessive amounts of force on her friends and those who she's trying to protect whenever she gets alarmed. That could get messy if the person standing close to her one of these times isn't as durable as Hiroshi or Daylla.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote:I wonder how Shawna's multiple eyes and one set of glasses work together.
Perhaps they are not for vision, but serve another purpose. Like keeping her eye-beams from burning people.
Dave

Post by Dave »

And the voice of a spectral Yorkshireman is heard to say "Oh, we used to dream of haunting a corridor!"
jeffepp wrote:Klang? Metallic nature confirmed?
Probably. I suppose she could be a living ceramic, sort of like Ruri but more durable... you can get a nice klang out of a humble clay. Although, she considering the way she friend-hassles Castela, I'd call her brassy rather than humble.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:And the voice of a spectral Yorkshireman is heard to say "Oh, we used to dream of haunting a corridor!"
jeffepp wrote:Klang? Metallic nature confirmed?
Probably. I suppose she could be a living ceramic, sort of like Ruri but more durable... you can get a nice klang out of a humble clay. Although, she considering the way she friend-hassles Castela, I'd call her brassy rather than humble.
I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote:Scarlet: “The hallway's empty! No one is out here!”
Creepy disembodied voice: “That's because I'm in the classroom now, not the hall. .
Kids in unison: “AAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!” . . .
Or the kids barricade the door in a panic, and once they have all the furniture piled against it, a little voice from the corner says "Now we're all locked in for the night . . ."

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"What is it, darling?"

"Daddy - there's a monster under my bed!"

"There, there, sweetie. I'll take care of it."

Looks under bed. Sees daughter again.

"Daddy - there's a monster in my bed!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...
It was right after Ruri is introduced, so towards the start of October. Castela is telling Daylla about Ruri, and Daylla says something along the lines of, "My mom and I are living metal, you're a human/blackthorn hybrid, and I'm still freaking out about a teapot!" It was the first confirmation in-story of both Daylla being metallic and Castela being at least part human.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:I don't have a cite handy but I'm pretty sure the prevailing sense is that sister-girl is indeed metallic...
It was right after Ruri is introduced, so towards the start of October. Castela is telling Daylla about Ruri, and Daylla says something along the lines of, "My mom and I are living metal, you're a human/blackthorn hybrid, and I'm still freaking out about a teapot!" It was the first confirmation in-story of both Daylla being metallic and Castela being at least part human.
Thats a good point, but I'm thinking:

- Castela stomping the Fae Princess arc.

- Flashback to the Holo-room recreation of Atsali becoming an Orphan arc.

- (There's another one, but it slipped away as i was distracted by SVU reruns...).

Going back to Monica & Shelly being cussed out by 'da Librarian' and Castela crashing the party ("Tanta Phix!, Tanta Phix!") is too far back, as is "Castela is part of my Adventure" w/ her introduction to Katherine. But since then I'm pretty sure she mentioned being a plant/human hybrid...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Thats a good point, but I'm thinking:

- Castela stomping the Fae Princess arc.

- Flashback to the Holo-room recreation of Atsali becoming an Orphan arc.

- (There's another one, but it slipped away as i was distracted by SVU reruns...).

Going back to Monica & Shelly being cussed out by 'da Librarian' and Castela crashing the party ("Tanta Phix!, Tanta Phix!") is too far back, as is "Castela is part of my Adventure" w/ her introduction to Katherine. But since then I'm pretty sure she mentioned being a plant/human hybrid...
Her genetic makeup was mentioned a few times, by her or others. When Nadette and Berdine were introduced, Nadette asked Castela what she was, and Castela replied, "I named myself, I'm a Whatsit! I'm the only one like me so far. I'm part plant and part animal!"

Then when Castela met Jin at the beach party, she introduced herself with, "My name is Castela, I'm a Whatsit! I'm part plant, and I love sunshine!" And in that same series of strips, Tina called Castela a "critter-plant". And shortly after that, when Castela fell onto the scissors, is when Bud and Atsali discussed how Castela's body was made out of a bunch of branches crocheted together.

The next such mention of Castela's heritage was after she stomped all over Cricket; Cricket said that Castela was "a daughter of blackthorn" and "a daughter of wood", and in the next strip that she "was created in a lab. She's a blend of ancient thorn plants, plant known to be sentient and wise but lacking mobility". A few strips later, Cricket is talking to Castela and says that her family's secret service "learned of humans who had found sentient blackthorns and were experimenting with them".

A long while later, when we meet the MiB agents who are cleaning up the mess after Atsali's parents are killed, the agents keep referring to Castela as "the blackthorn".

Later on, we have Daylla and Castela on the roof of the Gilchrist house, with Castela complaining about the lack of good thunderstorms. Daylla replies, "Maybe that's the plant part of you talking."

Finally came the conversation I mentioned above, when Daylla mentioned Castela having human DNA. Before that, all that we knew was that she was at least part blackthorn and part unspecified animal. And later on, when talking to Luci, Castela herself said that she was "engineered from an ancient blackthorn and human DNA."

Those were all the times when anything about what she was made of were mentioned. Other times she or her mother or others talked about possibilities of why she was made.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:Those were all the times when anything about what she was made of were mentioned. Other times she or her mother or others talked about possibilities of why she was made.
And, I don't think we have ever read any of the characters discuss who she was made from. That is, just who were the human donors of DNA into her makeup? Who is/are her human quasi-ancestors?