Nurturing Smile 2018-02-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Nurturing Smile 2018-02-09

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:* bleah encore *
Keep doing that, and your face will be stuck that way... :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Oh, and one more thing:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:* bleah encore *
Oh yeah? Well Bleah plus fort! :P
(Right back at ya...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I forget, now, whether I had turned on the display of seconds in the timestamp during the Wapsi Trivia Quiz period, or when I started posting more often and sometimes even getting to start a new daily thread, and wanted to see which of two seemingly same timestamp thread for a given day was the actual first one... I've never cared about posting "First" in comments below a comic, even if I do happen to be first (i.e. I won't post the actual word "First", as many people do elsewhere, without actual content, but will post legitimate content instead), but I must admit that there is a bit of satisfaction involved in seeing your name as the starter of a daily thread in the forum. Even if all it means is that you just happened to notice the new comic before the others did... Not a particularly spectacular achievement, really.

But having the seconds of the timestamp visible is still neat, especially in helping to see just how close two posts (or even threads) can actually be. For amusement purposes, that is. I just find it neat, that's all. (In other words, please consider the last few posts as playful banter, nothing else...)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Not to discourage this wonderful rude-noise-fight, but I just noticed something ominous in the strip.

Take a look at Valerie when she says "Awesome!" in the last panel. She's making a closed-fist "Yeah!" gesture... with her left hand. Her right hand is idle, on her hip.

She's left-handed! Digit has just agreed to have a sinister Cthuluoid participate in the sleepover. One wonders what sort of Chekhov's Gun Paul is setting up with this little revelation. :shock:

Light is the left hand of darkness...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

As a left-handed person, I feel qualified to say: Eat it!

But all jokes aside, I didn't notice that at all. However, I think it's great to see left handed people actually exist in a web comic. Not many people know that about a tenth of the population is left handed, and there's supposedly twice as many left handed males as females, which means she's pretty rare indeed!
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Alkarii wrote:As a left-handed person, I feel qualified to say: Eat it!

But all jokes aside, I didn't notice that at all. However, I think it's great to see left handed people actually exist in a web comic. Not many people know that about a tenth of the population is left handed, and there's supposedly twice as many left handed males as females, which means she's pretty rare indeed!
A} Luann is left-handed.

B} Apparently, cats also exhibit left/right paw preferences, and, again, males are twice as likely to be sinister as females.

C} I am left-handed.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Alkarii wrote:As a left-handed person, I feel qualified to say: Eat it!

A} Luann is left-handed.

B} Apparently, cats also exhibit left/right paw preferences, and, again, males are twice as likely to be sinister as females.

C} I am left-handed.
If you look at the number of left-handed musicians on the Muppet show, you'd think the proportion was much higher... :lol:
(Understandable, since the right hand would be busy with the head/mouth action, so that leaves the left hand to "play" the guitar with...)

As for me, I'm a weird mixture: I am right-handed, but if I handle a hockey stick or a golf club, I do so like a left-handed person. My dominant eye is also the left one, so that if I do archery, I have to do it backwards from everyone else (bow in right hand, pull with left). Same thing if I ever were to shoot a rifle, I would have to do it with the left hand on the trigger, because of that eye thing.

One-handed things, like swinging a hammer, I do with the right hand. Two-handed sledgehammer swinging, I do on the left side. Same thing for axes (hatchet on the right hand, two-handed larger axe handling, on the left side.) Shoveling snow? Ambidextrous. I start out on the left side, but will switch if I get tired, or if it makes it easier, depending on the configuration of the area to be shoveled and the place to shovel it to. I also can paddle a canoe on either side, with no particular preference that I can remember. I switch if I get tired or if the river situation calls for it.
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:If you look at the number of left-handed musicians on the Muppet show, you'd think the proportion was much higher... :lol:
Actually, i think that that has more to do with the fact that the puppeteers keep track of positions and moves using monitors that show a mirror image.

BTW: Several Swedish Chef skits begin with the Chef sitting with his hands clasped, twiddling his thumbs.

This is a bit of an in-joke, since that's Jim Henson's left hand and Frank Oz's right hand.

{All of the two-handed two/person Muppets work that way.}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

See? If Bert played the guitar, he would strum with his left hand, while the right hand would be attached to the guitar neck...
[Edit]I stand corrected: I think I see a hand rod hanging off Bert's right hand, unused at this particular moment...[/Edit]

And yes, I know that mostly applies to the one-handed handling of the puppet's hands. Rolf and Dr what's-his-name, leader of the in-house band (Electric Mayhem? Can't be bothered to look it up), both play the piano, and both use two human hands to do so. There is no indication, that I know of, that either of those is left-handed.

It just always struck me as odd, when I was growing up and watching reruns of the Muppet show, that all the guitarists were always left-handed... I never stopped to think about why that was, until much later.
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Image

{All of the two-handed two/person Muppets work that way.}
This may be why the Muppets studio never got robbed: you couldn't tell if they were putting their hands up, or just ignoring you and going on with the taping of the show... :mrgreen:

By the way, did you know that Big Bird has his own TV monitor inside the costume? That way, they didn't need to cut out eye holes for the actor/puppeteer to see where he was going, while playing the character, to make the costume more credible. Incidentally, Big Bird is also left-handed.
Chaise Murphy

Post by Chaise Murphy »

lake_wrangler wrote: As for me, I'm a weird mixture: I am right-handed, but if I handle a hockey stick or a golf club, I do so like a left-handed person.
Me too! I've never met anyone else like that, but now I know I'm not alone. Cool.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:B} Apparently, cats also exhibit left/right paw preferences, and, again, males are twice as likely to be sinister as females.
Hmm. May be a mammal thing, then. I understand that most birds don't exhibit any particular asymmetry in their use preferences. Mallards, for example, are almost always ...

... no, I can't say it. :(
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:B} Apparently, cats also exhibit left/right paw preferences, and, again, males are twice as likely to be sinister as females.
Hmm. May be a mammal thing, then. I understand that most birds don't exhibit any particular asymmetry in their use preferences. Mallards, for example, are almost always ...

... no, I can't say it. :(
I thought no they have a right-hand thread, if I'm correctly remembering the little video I've seen...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Chaise Murphy wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:As for me, I'm a weird mixture: I am right-handed, but if I handle a hockey stick or a golf club, I do so like a left-handed person.
Me too! I've never met anyone else like that, but now I know I'm not alone. Cool.
Met a guy who was left-handed . . . except he shot a rifle right-handed.

His army buddy - who I had given his initial, pre-enlistment shooting instruction - was right-handed, but shot a long gun left-handed. (He hadn't been able to even scare his target . . . we checked, and he was strongly cross-dominant, so we taught him to shoot left-handed. Except for pistols . . .)

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

George Brett was a natural right-hander, but batted left.

Interesting side note: most Canadian hockey players shoot left, despite being right handed. This is for various reasons, mostly due to their favorite players shooting a particular way.

American hockey players, however, are almost always right-hand shooters (unless they actually are left handed, in which case they do shoot left). This is more due to the tendency to pick up a hockey stick like it was a baseball bat or a golf club.

And as for golf clubs - Canadian golfers tend to be lefties because of the "norm" of shooting left, resulting in them picking up a club and trying to swing it left-handed.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Chaise Murphy

Post by Chaise Murphy »

Field Hockey players are all right-handed.

They don't make left-handed hockey sticks.

Fencers, on the other hand, tend to be left-handed more commonly than the general populace, moreso the higher up the rankings you look. In the world champs, lefties outnumber righties most years.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I'm also cross-dominant (right eye, left hand). Apparently it's kind of common, from what I see/hear. Shooting is really more related to the eyes, anyway, and not the hands.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

I use scissors right-handed because, scissors.

I bat right-handed {or did last i came up to the plate, which was, come to think, thirty or so years ago}. I tended to blast them level, just inside the third-base foul line.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Chaise Murphy wrote:Field Hockey players are all right-handed.

They don't make left-handed hockey sticks.

Fencers, on the other hand, tend to be left-handed more commonly than the general populace, moreso the higher up the rankings you look. In the world champs, lefties outnumber righties most years.
Face a lefty in the salle, and everything is off . . . it's most distracting. Even for another lefty, because they're used to the foibles of the right-handed majority.

We had two lefties in my fencing class . . . for some reason, I was the the only student that could really deal with them. (Bill was easy . . . he consistently attacked without gaining right-of-way, and I'd stop-thrust him.)

--FreeFlier